PDA

View Full Version : 3.80Ghz Prescott will generate 150W power!

AthlonXP1800
01-04-04, 06:34 PM
Prescott will launch next month generate 103W power and then in 6 months time will see new 3.80Ghz Prescott CPU generate hot hot 150W (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13421) power! :eek: Can you imagine what it could be after that? 4Ghz Prescott with 200W power? Power will go up and up as CPU get faster and faster.

Hmm I sense Prescott will be big disaster and utter failure for Intel this year more than NV30 did, 150W probably will make a blackhole in motherboard that were CPU socket. :)

gokickrocks
01-04-04, 06:39 PM
take a look at this first...

http://www.aceshardware.com/ (the first article)

in regards to power consumption going up and up, that should be a given...amd and intel (not just intel) will both produce chips that will consume more

Viral
01-05-04, 12:04 AM
Well i have no idea what to expect.. i know the prescott will most likely run warmer than the Northwood, but i'm not exactly buying all this 'info' anymore.

However, when they are actually released i would like to see some readings and heat comparisons between it and the competition. 2004 could be like 2003 for video cards where IQ comparisons were added to reviews, for CPU's heat will be investigated.

As for the competition, well AMD's max. 105watt figure which has nothing to do with actual typical energy these first 90nm processors would use, but rather what AMD wants chipset designers to allow for(as in power that is available to the processor through the socket) so that there is very little possibility of incompatibility with future 90nm chips in early mobo's. So no figures have really been leaked about AMD's typical wattage for first gen 90nm chips.. So i'm saying wait and see.. as i said i'm hoping with all this that it may encourage reviewers to look at heat and power issues when reviewing processors and not just stating specs given too them. They always state the 89w figure from AMD.. how could a 3000+ and an FX-51 both require the same wattage? that figure is just like the 105watt one i explained earlier.

Anyway.. wait and see. Next gen processors look like they will run fairly hot, but nothing is certain. I just hope we get some real info once they are released:rolleyes:

-=DVS=-
01-05-04, 01:36 AM
Intels Prescott only @ 3.8 Ghz and still so far away without 64 bit support or integrated memory controler , tottaly unimpressive.

AMD got this year covered for sure :eek:

Rob_0126
01-05-04, 06:56 PM
Soon, the cpu will needs it's own power supply to operate.

Robert

hordaktheman
01-07-04, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Rob_0126
Soon, the cpu will needs it's own power supply to operate.

Robert

Nah, they'll integrate it into the core.

EMunEeE
01-07-04, 03:13 PM
Or you could simply change that heat energy into electrical energy for use by the computer.

fastguy94416
01-07-04, 06:23 PM
Yea, Every hardcore overclocker will have his heasink turned into a mini steam turbine

:D