PDA

View Full Version : Bought myself an eVGA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra ...


NextGen
01-04-04, 09:25 PM
I got this card for around $223 (after tax) at Best Buy. So far, based on what I've seen in reviews floating around on the web comparing this card to the ATI 9600 XT and seeing how it performs on my computer, I have to say that this card is definitely a good buy. It was fairly within my budget. Are there any other GeForce FX 5700 Ultra card owners out there? Post here with your impressions and experiences with your card, if you'd be so kind to do that ...

Seeing as I'm a newbie here, I ought to list my PC specifications. I don't agree with leaving "signatures" with messages that I post; I find that it tends to take up more space than necessary, so again, unlike how many others list their PC specs in their signatures, I'm gonna list 'em right here:

AMD 1800 XP Thoroughbred CPU
512 MB SDRAM
MSI K7 Turbo 2 motherboard (with the latest BIOS)
40 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital hard drive
8X DVD-ROM drive
eVGA GeForce 5700 Ultra 128 MB DDR-2 card (latest drivers installed)
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1a

(What do you think of my specs? Not high-end, I know, but ... It'll do)

Gator
01-04-04, 09:28 PM
your system specs aren't bad, although the SDRAM is definetly gonna hurt your performance in some games.

My only question is why not get the FX5900SE for only $189 at http://www.newegg.com instead? It has 256bit memory bus instead of FX5700's 128bit memory bus, and it would have been considerably cheaper than what you spent at BestBuy.

Unless of course you don't have a credit card, in which case then the FX5700U is a fine card at that price in a retail store. But online stores are always cheaper if you have the means ;)

The Baron
01-04-04, 09:33 PM
MUYA and I both have separate reviews of 5700U cards Coming Soon. :)

saturnotaku
01-04-04, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Gator
Unless of course you don't have a credit card, in which case then the FX5700U is a fine card at that price in a retail store. But online stores are always cheaper if you have the means ;)

Even then, after you get your mail-in rebate, the BFG GeForce FX 5700 Ultra works out being cheaper overall (eVGA has a $20 rebate, BFG's is $40). But if you can find them, some Best Buy stores have BFG 5900 non-ultra cards for $239 and a $50 rebate, making the price of the card cheaper then the eVGA 5700 Ultra even after rebate. :eek:

bkswaney
01-05-04, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Even then, after you get your mail-in rebate, the BFG GeForce FX 5700 Ultra works out being cheaper overall (eVGA has a $20 rebate, BFG's is $40). But if you can find them, some Best Buy stores have BFG 5900 non-ultra cards for $239 and a $50 rebate, making the price of the card cheaper then the eVGA 5700 Ultra even after rebate. :eek:


killer deal 4 sure. :)

cthellis
01-05-04, 04:26 AM
5900SE > 5700U

Return 5700. Find 5900. Buy 5900.

zoomy942
01-05-04, 05:09 PM
i have a 5700 ultra and a 5700 non ultra overclocked well past the ultra settings, and i love it. i know the 5900se is better but i have a very strict budget (unfortunatelty). the 5700 ultra and 5700 non ultra overclocked perform great, i think the non ultra is a bit faster.

Gator
01-05-04, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by zoomy942
i have a 5700 ultra and a 5700 non ultra overclocked well past the ultra settings, and i love it. i know the 5900se is better but i have a very strict budget (unfortunatelty). the 5700 ultra and 5700 non ultra overclocked perform great, i think the non ultra is a bit faster.

what brand of the non-ultra do you have? sounds promising

zoomy942
01-06-04, 09:18 AM
it is an albatron. it has 2 GPU fans and everything. and heatsinks on the RAM. it comes at speeds of 425/450. i have it at 575/600. so 1200 mhz ddr! woohoo!

JAV
01-06-04, 07:18 PM
I picked up a PNY 5700U @ Circuit City before Xmas for $159 (after $60 rebate) & it is a screamin' card. :cool: Runs every game I have @ max details, 4x/4x, 1280x1024 w/o problems ... but it does falter in DX9 benches (vs ATi), so it's going back & I'm getting a 9800np for the same $160 somewhere else.

It is a nice 'test bed' for nV, now if they can fix the DX9 'problems' ..... ;)

.02,


2500+ @ 2.2g (227FSB), NF2, PC-3700 @ 11-2-2-2 & 5700U (530/1030) = 40k AM3, 4.4k 3DM03 & 16k 3DM2K1

bkswaney
01-06-04, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by JAV
I picked up a PNY 5700U @ Circuit City before Xmas for $159 (after $60 rebate) & it is a screamin' card. :cool: Runs every game I have @ max details, 4x/4x, 1280x1024 w/o problems ... but it does falter in DX9 benches (vs ATi), so it's going back & I'm getting a 9800np for the same $160 somewhere else.

It is a nice 'test bed' for nV, now if they can fix the DX9 'problems' ..... ;)

.02,


2500+ @ 2.2g (227FSB), NF2, PC-3700 @ 11-2-2-2 & 5700U (530/1030) = 40k AM3, 4.4k 3DM03 & 16k 3DM2K1


Best of luck getting a nonpro.
I've not seen any instock anymore.
The one place I did see one was 299.


One thing to keep in mind tho. Every time nvidia
needs more in the DX9 area they seem to be
able to get it through drivers.
Granted the 9800 is going to have a bit more
power I do not see any problem in nvidia's
mid to top cards being able to play any DX9 game.
U are not going to notice were a game is running 60FPS
or 100.

cthellis
01-07-04, 03:30 AM
A 9800np for $160...? Um... where? Tell me? Please?! I love you, man! :D

JAV
01-07-04, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by cthellis
A 9800np for $160...? Um... where? Tell me? Please?! I love you, man! :D

It's from a dealer I know, keeping a promise. :D Sorry. :(



I do not see any problem in nvidia's mid to top cards being able to play any DX9 game.
U are not going to notice were a game is running 60FPS
or 100.

It isn't the FPS, as much as it is getting full DX9 at that FPS rather than a mixture of DX9 32FP + 16FP & DX8.1 PS1.4 thrown in to keep the FPS up to that level. ;)