PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 53.03's Coolbits and Desktop

fingermouth
01-05-04, 11:28 PM
Im a little sick of changing my memory clock to what i had it set to and im getting tired of changing the My Computer Icon back to my name and computer. What is with these drivers? Do they hate Coolbits because it keeps defulting back to 850 from 900 and the damn things doesn't even run hot at all and why they change my icon names?

bkswaney
01-06-04, 02:40 AM
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Mine stays set. :)

ginfest
01-06-04, 06:38 AM
I wonder if the prob is Coolbits/5x.xx drivers or Windows, in my case, XP?
2 things that I've noticed, my OC (475/950 with a BFG 5900nu/53.03) always works either cold/warm boot, but if someone else uses the computer(fast-user switching) or I use either Standby or Hibernation the clocks are reset.
Although a "Log out/Log in" will reactivate Coolbits, when the clocks get reset, the checkbox for "Apply settings at Startup" remains, so it automatically starts up at default. PITA, my only solution is to use Rivatuner's "Reload Display Driver" 1st then Log out/Log in.
Not sure what the above means but I'm convinced the answer lies with WinXP.
I wonder if the 2 "versions" of Coolbits matter, I use the entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"Coolbits"=dword:ffffffff" but have seen [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003"
as an alternative.
Or are they both functionally the same?

Mike G

saturnotaku
01-06-04, 08:25 AM
I don't think it matters which "version" of Coolbits you use. This is a bug in the 5x.xx drivers. My clock frequencies would reset after about four or five reboots (cold or soft) with the 53.03 drivers. Using 45.23 I've had no such issues.

zoomy942
01-06-04, 10:24 AM
i have an nforce2 mobo and a 5700 and i am using the coolbits to overclock the heck out of my 5700, and it has stayed for several weeks now

fingermouth
01-06-04, 09:00 PM
Im wondering if the Nvidia Driver helper being disabled may cause these issues. I enabled this in services to see if this may make a difference. I will see if it helps.

saturnotaku
01-06-04, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by fingermouth
Im wondering if the Nvidia Driver helper being disabled may cause these issues. I enabled this in services to see if this may make a difference. I will see if it helps.

It shouldn't. I had the service enabled on my system and it still reset itself. This is definitely a driver-specific issue because even after 10+ boots with the 45.23 drivers my clock frequencies have stayed put.

skypx
01-07-04, 12:26 AM
Im a little sick of changing my memory clock to what i had it set to and im getting tired of changing the My Computer Icon back to my name and computer. What is with these drivers? Do they hate Coolbits because it keeps defulting back to 850 from 900 and the damn things doesn't even run hot at all and why they change my icon names?

This may seem weird but please try it, I did and it worked. Go to the 3d tab and set it to the speeds you want. Hit apply. Now go to the 2d tab, you will notice the memory setting are the same as the 3d tab. Put the memory settings back to default. Hit apply. Now go back to the 3d tab and set it how you want it. Hit apply. I did this just playing around the other day, and after several restarts, the memory settings did not revert to default.

zoomy942
01-07-04, 07:55 AM
i have tried, just fo fun, to go back to 45.xx drivers from my 53.03, but windows doesnt let me. why cant i do it?

zoomy942
01-07-04, 12:02 PM
i hope i can get it to work. i want to play doom 3.. i mean.. umm.. hehe

LiquidX
01-07-04, 12:46 PM
Oh man its really pissing me off also especially the desktop icon thing. I like to use my own but all these 5xx.xx drivers keep putting them back to default. And I just gave up on coolbits before I kill my card by oc'ing it at the start of every game.:mad:

OWA
01-08-04, 02:17 AM
Wow! Thanks for the tip skypx. I almost didn't bother trying it...like you said, it's kind of weird...but I'm glad I did. That actually works! Un-freakin-believable.

You should send the info to nvidia. Maybe it'll help them figure out what the problem is.

Rebooted 8 times so far and it still has the proper setting. Before, it would always reset on me after the 3rd boot. I'm keeping my fingers-crossed. :)

Edit: If this works for most people you should ask the mods to make the solution a sticky.

skypx
01-08-04, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by OWA
Wow! Thanks for the tip skypx. I almost didn't bother trying it...like you said, it's kind of weird...but I'm glad I did. That actually works! Un-freakin-believable.

You should send the info to nvidia. Maybe it'll help them figure out what the problem is.

Rebooted 8 times so far and it still has the proper setting. Before, it would always reset on me after the 3rd boot. I'm keeping my fingers-crossed. :)

Edit: If this works for most people you should ask the mods to make the solution a sticky.

Hopefully now more people will try it. :D

fingermouth
01-08-04, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by skypx
This may seem weird but please try it, I did and it worked. Go to the 3d tab and set it to the speeds you want. Hit apply. Now go to the 2d tab, you will notice the memory setting are the same as the 3d tab. Put the memory settings back to default. Hit apply. Now go back to the 3d tab and set it how you want it. Hit apply. I did this just playing around the other day, and after several restarts, the memory settings did not revert to default.

Its working ok for me, but when you mention tab 2 or 3. There is no tab in coolbits for be more elaberate on the settings. There are 2 slider for mem and coreclock. and test and apply tabs. What tabs do i use to get the timmings to stick?

skypx
01-08-04, 02:07 PM
Its working ok for me, but when you mention tab 2 or 3. There is no tab in coolbits for be more elaberate on the settings. There are 2 slider for mem and coreclock. and test and apply tabs. What tabs do i use to get the timmings to stick?

I was refering to the 2D and 3D modes for the FX cards.

fingermouth
01-09-04, 12:52 PM
I did it but why does the memory clock in 2d mode stay as the same in 3d mode? i did what u said to do so i will see if it works or not.

skypx
01-09-04, 01:08 PM
why does the memory clock in 2d mode stay as the same in 3d mode?

I think that's a question for Nvidia. :D

shadowless
01-11-04, 08:52 PM
i got Coolbits and ForceWare 53.03 for my 5950u and my clocks stay set at 527/1000 and none of my icons are ****ed up