PDA

View Full Version : Athlon FX killer

Cotita
01-06-04, 12:18 PM
Finally the Athlon FX has met its match, but no its not presscotT who steals the crown, but the AMD's own athlon 64 3400+

Its a lot cheaper and in some cases faster than the FX-51 and the P4 3.2 EE

Cheaper and faster cpu's what more could you ask for?

Future is so bright I gotta wear shades...

MUYA
01-06-04, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Cotita

Future is so bright I gotta wear shades...

Wowo your monitor is that luminescent? :p

:D

Cotita
01-06-04, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by MUYA
Wowo your monitor is that luminescent? :p

You mean my "new" sony 20SEII 20" monitor that just came out from the garbage of a Siemems facility that just closed in town?

yup its that bright :P

MUYA
01-06-04, 01:03 PM
You mean my "new" sony 20SEII 20" monitor that just came out from the garbage of a Siemems facility that just closed in town?

yup its that bright :P

SHOWOFF!!:mad:

hehehe :D

Hows that mon man? Doing great I suppose? :D

Cotita
01-06-04, 01:12 PM
SHOWOFF!!:mad:

hehehe :D

Hows that mon man? Doing great I suppose? :D

Boy, boy, santa does exist...

I'm hooking it up with a bfg5900 nu and an abit nf7-s xp2500@xp3200 speeds.

I literally took this monitor out of the garbage, actually 9 monitors in total, all 20-21 inchers.

6 out of 9 work and most of them look great. It was a headache building the cables since most of them have bnc inputs or need male-male vga cables. The real pain was building the vga to 13W3 cable for a 21" siemens monitor but it was well worth it. Actually had to mod the monitor itself to make it work.

MUYA
01-06-04, 01:14 PM
Boy, boy, santa does exist...

I'm hooking it up with a bfg5900 nu and an abit nf7-s xp2500@xp3200 speeds.

I literally took this monitor out of the garbage, actually 9 monitors in total, all 20-21 inchers.

6 out of 9 work and most of them look great. It was a headache building the cables since most of them have bnc inputs or need male-male vga cables. The real pain was building the vga to 13W3 cable for a 21" siemens monitor but it was well worth it. Actually had to mod the monitor itself to make it work.

It was free right? U lucky bugg3r!

Cotita
01-06-04, 01:30 PM
It was free right? U lucky bugg3r!

well yeah...sort of

I gave one of the guards 100 bucks as a christmas "gift" so he let me take out the "garbage"

oooh as a little bonus I also got several pcs, p3, celerons like 400-800mhz, about a mile of rg-59u cable and cat-5 ethernet cable.

jAkUp
01-06-04, 01:51 PM
More and more I'm looking at these AMD 64's and thinking of going the AMD route on my next system, but I wanna wait until the chips and their motherboards are alot more mature :)

Cotita
01-06-04, 02:03 PM
2nd generation chipsets promise better performance.

the nforce3 is about to be replaced by a newer version which may have 800mhz hypertransport rather than 600mhz it has today.

also socket 939 mobos are coming out soon and they will support non-ECC DDR 400 memory so the FX51 (most probably FX53 by that time) will benefit from it.

There are rumors about a dual opteron nforce3 for workstation. that one should rock

Star_Hunter
01-06-04, 06:57 PM
I was hoping more like 1GHz HT.....I know via has a 1Ghz HT chipset coming

Rob_0126
01-06-04, 08:42 PM
well yeah...sort of

I gave one of the guards 100 bucks as a christmas "gift" so he let me take out the "garbage"

oooh as a little bonus I also got several pcs, p3, celerons like 400-800mhz, about a mile of rg-59u cable and cat-5 ethernet cable.

I had one of these happen to me where I use to work. It was like christmas bringing home all that old hardware.

Robert

Viral
01-07-04, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Star_Hunter
I was hoping more like 1GHz HT.....I know via has a 1Ghz HT chipset coming

1GHz HT will be for socket 939... initial nforce3 250's will be for socket 754, but in a month or two we will see the first 939 boards arrive.

I'm waiting for a 939pin newcastle. Memory bandwidth (even with registered memory) seems to benefit the A64 more than having the full 1MB L2 cache, so i think the new 512kb L2 dual channel 939pin A64's will perform a little better than current 754pin clawhammers.

The FX's will be replaced with new models.. so once the FX-53 releases, the FX-51 will cease production. For that reason i haveaccepted an FX will always be too expensive for me.. doesn't matter seeing the cache is hardly a performance benefit, so the main thing you will miss by going the 939pin A64 route is unlocked multipliers. With 2nd gen chipsets hopefully overclocking will be a little easier.. and i only do light-moderate overclocking anyway.

So yeah, a 939pin 3700+ or 4000+ looks to be what i'm waiting for, should be a decent upgrade, hopefully this system keeps decent performance for another 6-8months:D

|JuiceZ|
01-07-04, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Viral
1GHz HT will be for socket 939... initial nforce3 250's will be for socket 754, but in a month or two we will see the first 939 boards arrive.

I'm waiting for a 939pin newcastle. Memory bandwidth (even with registered memory) seems to benefit the A64 more than having the full 1MB L2 cache, so i think the new 512kb L2 dual channel 939pin A64's will perform a little better than current 754pin clawhammers.

The FX's will be replaced with new models.. so once the FX-53 releases, the FX-51 will cease production. For that reason i haveaccepted an FX will always be too expensive for me.. doesn't matter seeing the cache is hardly a performance benefit, so the main thing you will miss by going the 939pin A64 route is unlocked multipliers. With 2nd gen chipsets hopefully overclocking will be a little easier.. and i only do light-moderate overclocking anyway.

So yeah, a 939pin 3700+ or 4000+ looks to be what i'm waiting for, should be a decent upgrade, hopefully this system keeps decent performance for another 6-8months:D

Thats exactly what I'm talking about, big 'em on! :D

MUYA
01-07-04, 02:47 PM
Guys interesting times no with new AThlon64 etc. I just wanted to ask, if you guys knew anything about a new athlon64 chipset, that may have PCI express and AGP ports? Recently, I linked to an article at DigiTimes which stated that VIA WOULD ship p4 chipset that did have a PCI express and AGP port.

Any idea guys/gals?

Viral
01-08-04, 01:48 AM
I thought most first gen pci-express boards would come with an AGP bridge allowing AGP cards to work in PCI-express at 8x AGP speed.:confused:

so..AGP cards should work in PCI-express slots provided they have an AGP bridge, which most first gen boards should have (unless the manufacturers want to risk shutting off a huge market). So the only problem anyone should have upgrading to PCI-express is if they don't want to upgrade their mobo, but want a new PCI-eX video card.

StealthHawk
01-08-04, 04:41 AM
Finally the Athlon FX has met its match, but no its not presscotT who steals the crown, but the AMD's own athlon 64 3400+

Its a lot cheaper and in some cases faster than the FX-51 and the P4 3.2 EE

Pretty funny, but the Athlon64 3400+ is actually the same clockspeed as the AthlonFX 51 and yet there are almost no performance discrepancies. Makes you wonder.

Although the AthlonFX would probably be a little faster than it currently is if it didn't have to use registered memory.