PDA

View Full Version : New RAM Issues

Danik
01-07-04, 08:28 PM
I recently went from PC2100 to two 512 MB of PC3200 Kingmax DDR RAM. I have an Athlon XP 2200+ (266 mhz FSB), and an EPOX 8RDA+ Motherboard with the latest BIOS. For some reason my computer just doesn't want to run at 400 mhz RAM settings. It will boot up Windows XP, but as soon as I get into the desktop it will reboot. So I did some messing around with the settings. The default timings at DDR 400 mhz is CAS 2.5, 4-4-8. So I tried setting it to CAS 2.5, 5-5-9. This will boot up windows fine just like the other timing, and I can even do stuff while in the desktop, however, a program will terminate itself because of an error within 2 minutes. Other things I've tried are raising the DIMM voltage from 2.5 to 2.63, raising the FSB and lowering the memory multiplier to keep it at 400 mhz. It seems to me that this is an issue with the FSB being 266, while the memory is running at 400 mhz. I couldn't even finish this post running at the optimal memory speed because of reboots. Right now I'm running at CAS 2.0, 2-2-6 at 266 mhz for the RAM (the manufacturer default). This seems to be entirely stable so I'm guessing it is an issue between the FSB and the Memory timings. I'm also considering going back to a previous BIOS version since I recall that one of the previous updates messed around with memory timing for added "stability". Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach this problem?

RobHague
01-07-04, 10:05 PM
Have you tried rasing the DIMM voltage more than 2.6v? Most RAM is rated for 2.8v so id check out the manufacturers specs and then set it to 2.8v and try again at 400mhz. :)

Danik
01-08-04, 04:49 AM
I did. At 2.7x it wouldn't even boot. After doing a search on running a lower FSB speed than memory, I get the impression that unless the FSB is equal to or greater than the memory speed there would be no performance gains. The few times I managed to run stable enough for a few minutes to run SiSoft Sandra, the memory benchmark would run it as if it were clocked at 266 mhz. So from what I've gathered from various sites, having fast memory is really only good for overclocking head room. That said I'm gradually bumping up the FSB and running Burn in Tests to find a good overclock speed. At a FSB of 310 mhz things run fine, and I've yet to have a crash. I haven't had to raise the voltage from the default (1.60), and the temps are 42 C idle, and below 50 C during heavy load. Kind of high temps, but they don't look threatening to me. I'll probably bump it up a little more sooner or later. Hopefully I'll get a FSB speed close to 333 mhz, since it beats buying a new processor with a higher bus speed, and I'm aiming at a 64-bit processor and PCI Express platform as my next big upgrade.

RobHague
01-08-04, 09:16 AM
Ahhhh, sorry i assumed you were overclocking thats why you were trying to hit 400mhz :). The only clipset that gives performance advantages from running async is the KT400A. The nForce2 works best when the Memory & CPU FSB is in sync, so yeah running it out of sync will prolly give you worse performance tbh.

Overclock the FSB like u have been doing and take it up to match :)

Dazz
01-11-04, 07:47 AM
Thats true, for best Peformance the memory and Ram MUST be 1:1 on the plus side the memory you got will work at tighter timings.

john19055
01-12-04, 08:12 PM
have you raised your voltage on your CPU ,I know when I run my at 200FSB I had to raise my cpu voltage up some from the default to get it to run stable.