PDA

View Full Version : need motherboard help

kraigc
01-07-04, 09:45 PM
Just got my mobo in the mail. Hooked everything up and things arent working correctly. Will post BIOS but wont load windows. Gives me 3 beeps and attempts to reboot. Specs as follows:

P4 2.53 533FSB
Asus P4P800 DLX
2*256 Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 running at PC2700 speed
BFG 5900NU 128M

Please gimme a hand here. Thanks!

MUYA
01-08-04, 03:26 AM
check out the manual for the error code. I mean what error 3 beeps signifies. You could go to Asus and ask in their forums if they have any.

kraigc
01-08-04, 08:44 AM
Manual doesnt say. Also, after I got home from the nieghbors from posting my previous problems, I decided to switch memory channels. Voice post started giving me "System failed due to CPU overclocking" and wouldnt even post. Now what do I do?

MUYA
01-08-04, 09:11 AM
Can u get into the bios? If u can , have a look at bios settings and possibly the memory to fsb ratio, make sure that is set right and not to a ratio where you memory is clocked exceeding it's specifications. Other than that, maybe you oughta try one module at a time? maybe one is defective? Do give asus forums a try though

The Baron
01-08-04, 09:13 AM
I think if it beeps, it's either the video card or the memory. If it's teh CPU, you get nothing. So, I would wager that one of the sticks of RAM are bad, especially if it would post and simply refuse to load Windows.

kraigc
01-08-04, 11:04 AM
I tried to power it up this morning after clearig the CMOS, and nothing happens. The fans come on, I can hear the HDD spin, but nothing happens. The led on the monitor just keeps flashing like the computer is turned off.

MUYA
01-08-04, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by kraigc
I tried to power it up this morning after clearig the CMOS, and nothing happens. The fans come on, I can hear the HDD spin, but nothing happens. The led on the monitor just keeps flashing like the computer is turned off.

Did you try with the old memory modules? Did you as I suggested try only one memory modules at a time? Try those buddy

The Baron
01-08-04, 01:38 PM
No, if there are no beeps, the motherboard is dead.

RobHague
01-08-04, 01:56 PM
Hmmm,

Well before i read the rest (about nothing at all happening now) i was about to suggest that he went into the BIOS and configured the voltages and timings for his Memory/CPU manually.

I have the same motherboard, with some Corsair RAM, and i have to set the VDIMM voltage manually or i end up with random crash's due to memory errors.

Oh wait brainstorm....

Right, if you incorrectley set BIOS settings then thats exactley what happens for me. No sign of life apart from the FANS/HDD spinning up and the monitor staying off. Plug out the system, plug back in and try to reboot. If not hold down INSERT while turning it on. Usually when mine does this after a few failed boot attemps its resets and pops back up.

I dont believe the system actually beeps if something fails, thats replaced by the POST Reporter so plug in some speakers into the onboard sound and see if you hear anything. :)

kraigc
01-08-04, 02:22 PM
I havent tried any other memory as the only spare i have are rdram. I havent tried using a single stick yet, i will try that tonight, the speakers are plugged in and im not getting any voice post messages, i will try to boot it while holding insert if nothing else works. If I cant get it to work by this weekend, Im going to try to RMA to Asus. Thanks guys!

bknblk
01-08-04, 03:36 PM
Ah, the wonders of configuring a dual channel P4 board for the first time.

kraigc
01-09-04, 08:50 AM
Pulled everything out of the case and laind it out on the table. Tried to start it and getting the same results. Kept recycling power for about an hour, and couldnt get it to work. Currently on day 3 of waiting for Asus Tech Support to call back :rolleyes:

RobHague
01-09-04, 08:34 PM
Pulled everything out of the case and laind it out on the table. Tried to start it and getting the same results. Kept recycling power for about an hour, and couldnt get it to work. Currently on day 3 of waiting for Asus Tech Support to call back :rolleyes:

It may just be a duff board then :( but i have had some wierd experiences with this mainboard myself.

1) USB Keyboard/Mouse. Sometimes the BIOS 'forgets' they are there and then i cant use them in DOS, or at all! So i have to power off and power back on and it detects them again,

2) I set the Performance Mode to 'Turbo' and got a BIOS Checksum Failure lol, i had to reload the BIOS off the CD.

3) My mainboard temp is always higher than the CPU temp.

Apart from that its been ok lol. Touch wood. :D So i feel for you, the first time i built a system i got a bad mainboard. That was Asus too funny enough lol.

kraigc
01-09-04, 09:18 PM
Removed one of the memory modules. I can get into BIOS, but windows still wont load. Now I'm only getting 2 beeps instead of 3 when I was trying to run dual channel. Currently on day 3 waiting for tech support to call back. Luckily I still have this old P4T533 hangin around......