PDA

View Full Version : Need a new motherboard

Lezmaka
01-08-04, 02:39 PM
I got a system from a friend that has a KR7A-133 (something like that), 1gig PC2100 and an athlon 2100+. During shipping, the heatsink broke off and the two clips on the socket are cracked. I put the heatsink back on and it was pretty snug so I decided to see if it would work. All I get is a yellow light on the mobo which the manual says means standby power. The only thing that happens when I try to power on is the chipset fan spins about 1/16th of a turn.

The mobo smells like its been fried (my friend said it was working fine before he shipped it), the processor and ram seem fine. So, I'm assuming I've got a dead mobo plus the fact the the clips on the mobo are cracked probably means I shouldn't really use it anyway.

So... I need a new motherboard but I don't know which are the good ones. The max I want to spend is $80-90. I don't need integrated video, probably don't need integrated sound either but I would like a mobo that will last me for a while so i can upgrade the ram/cpu later on, usb2.0, etc. Is the nForce2 still the best for the Athlon XP stability/compatibility wise or are the Via's just as good?

I'd appreciate any help as I'm rather pissed that the mobo is dead, lol. Was really looking forward to it since I'm still using a P3 800mhz.

Thanks

MUYA
01-08-04, 02:58 PM
Dude there is only nForce2 solutions for the AMD! heheh Well I am biased as I have an ABIT NF7-S v2 nForce2 400 Ultra motherboard after having had an ABIT kt133A, ASUS kt333 and MSI kt400 VIA chipset mobos. Much improvement over the VIA chipsets!!!

Anyways, on the cheap, KT600 mobos are decent it seems, scour for reviews of KT600 mobos. They come to a few percentage points of the nforce2 mobos and ara a lot cheaper.

Or, you could have a look for single channel nForce2 400 mobos which also perform just as good as dual channel nforce2 400 Ultra mobos and they are cheaper too.

But come to think of it nForce2 mobos should cheap these days? Have a scour around newegg etc?

ragejg
01-08-04, 03:03 PM
Oh man, that's really too bad about the KR7A...

They're such good boards. I have one and WILL NOT let go of it... :p

Honestly, like $40 will get you a good future-able mobo...

like a Biostar M7VIP, which are all over the place right now for great prices...

... and Chaintech 7NJL1's and Biostar MC7ND(sp?)'s are the lowest priced nforce2's out right now for around $60 shipped... they're great deals IMO for their 200fsb ability (they're both quite capable) and to boot they have good stability... plus onboard 6ch sound and onboard nic...

Lezmaka
01-08-04, 05:17 PM
What about the MSI K7N2 Delta-L? Anyone have this board? The only thing I've seen about it is that Sharky Extreme included it in their December value gaming system. I'd love to have the Delta-ILSR since it has Firewire, SATA and RAID but it's $40 more than the Delta-L.

druga runda
01-08-04, 05:51 PM
I'd ratrher get a Gigabyte alternative as they are priced the same and MSI has the "stigma" of incompatibility with some brands of RAM and maybe not so overclocker friendly... so that's my take...

fastguy94416
01-08-04, 07:07 PM
And make sure you tell your friend never to ship a system with the heatsink installed