PDA

View Full Version : PSU / MB help needed

cricket
01-09-04, 04:02 PM
i want to know what is the biggest/highest wattage PSU this motherboard can use if anyone can help please reply. would a 420 watt PSU be too much for it?
here is the board: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/index.htm?iid=ipp_desk+boards_d850emv2&

also one other thing is the board i ordered is the 850EMVR...is this basically the same board and will the links on this page get me to the newest upgrades/bios flashes/tech spec's?

can the bios be flashed before i install the operating system or must the OS be installed first? i think in my reading i read that bios my be flashed to newest version for winxp to work but i might be wrong on this, just want to cover all my options when the time comes to install.

Viral
01-10-04, 08:05 PM
As far as i know you can't have a PSU that is too powerful. If the voltage rails are running above spec then yes that would be too powerful but that would only happen if there was a problem with the PSU.

Larger PSU's are mainly only needed to power more devices or power hungry ones.. AFAIK they are always backwards compatible with any old device as long as its ATX compatible.

I'm sure a 420watt PSU could power the first generation of ATX sytems with no trouble at all. Otherwise PSU manufacturers would have to mention something about incompatibility with older systems, like they have to with faster ones( If their device is compatible and what not).

jAkUp
01-10-04, 08:53 PM
A PSU only uses as much wattage as is needed.

bkswaney
01-10-04, 11:25 PM
Get at least a 480 watt unit.

I'm using a Antec Trueblue 480 watt in my rig.
I learned a long time ago u can never have
a PS to big. U need that extra power to help
you make the most stable rig.

Also do NOT waste your money on a cheap no name unit.

Buy Antec or some other big name.

The Baron
01-10-04, 11:58 PM
TrueBlue Represent.