PDA

View Full Version : why won't nvidia drivers work for me?

kyleb
01-10-04, 07:30 PM
i am trying to use an old vanta with a kt400 motherboard and windows xp. the card is agpx4 so it works, but it blacksreens instead of booting to desktop whenever any nvidia drivers are installed. standard vga works fine, but 60hz is killing my eyes and i wouldn't mind having 3d support even if all i can play is cs. anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

jAkUp
01-10-04, 07:33 PM
Do you have the latest drivers for you mobo?

kyleb
01-10-04, 07:52 PM
sure do, well at least now i do, i just got the latest 4in1's after i posted. this is on a fresh install, i had everything updated before but was having the same issue so i wiped the drive hopeing that would help. i am going to get dx9b again and try that although i am worried that this is a bigger issue than that as it blackscreens even with the windows default vanta drivers that it anoyingly reinstalls on every reboot no matter what i do.

anyone seen anything like this?

kyleb
01-10-04, 08:56 PM
got dx9b and it still blacksreens on every reboot unless i remove the nvidia drivers first. has anyone seen this before?

shadowless
01-11-04, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by kyleb
got dx9b and it still blacksreens on every reboot unless i remove the nvidia drivers first. has anyone seen this before?

you might want to try using older drivers.

kyleb
01-12-04, 11:29 AM
ya i went all the way back to the 28.32's and tried a few inbetween but all of them gave me the same results. also played with the agp aperture and fastwrites with no luck at all. i would think that it if it is a hardware incompatablity then it would not work at all, but oddly the setup just doesn't seem to like any nvidia drivers i throw at it.

fingermouth
01-12-04, 01:50 PM
Buy a know card pal. That card is like way over the hill and it uses a different AGP Voltage so get something that uses 1.5V on the AGP.

kyleb
01-12-04, 08:03 PM
it uses uses 1.5v on agp or it wouldn't even fit in the slot let alone boot windows. i have what i belive you would call a "know card" on the way, but as for now i would just like to get nvidia drivers on the way.

Gator
01-12-04, 09:09 PM
use Det 29.42 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_29.42.html) instead, I have a computer at work running Win2k with that video card and these drivers and it performs with much fewer issues on the Vanta AGP. I had all kinds of weird d3d issues with the Det4's and det5's on this old card

kyleb
01-12-04, 10:13 PM
no luck there either, thanks for the suggestion though.