PDA

View Full Version : PCI Mode on FX5900 Ultra

cap-n-burn
01-12-04, 06:30 PM
hey everyone, am having a strange problem. sometimes when i load games it says i am using a AGP card in PCI mode. this is confirmed when i check on the advanced display settings of the nvidia tools on the adapter information next to the bus inforamation it says i'm running in PCI mode. have checking my bios and everything is set up for AGP but no joy.

i have only had this card recently, and can't realy compare what speed it is actually running at,l here is the card specs

Winfast A350 My Vivo - IE FX5900 Ultra
Windows XP Pro
3.0 GHz Processor (800 - FSB) HT
1 gb Ram DDR
mother board is an Abit IC7 (i think)

Please Help

Smokey
01-12-04, 07:53 PM
Install your motherboards AGP driver, if you already have, reinstall it :)

AthlonXP1800
01-12-04, 07:55 PM
That the first time I heard of a AGP card running in PCI mode, so I went to find out more about it here (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8778251~mode=flat), it because you hadnt installed your motherboard chipset driver. :p You think it is Abit IC7 motherboard? You should download Sandra software (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk) and run Mainboard Information program to confirm the motherboard brand and model. If it match what you think, then you will need to download latest Intel 875 chipset driver INF Update Utility version 5.1.1.1002 (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=N&ProductID=1043&DwnldID=6934).

When you install the driver and reboot, then it will read the bus as AGP 8X in Nvidia tools. :)

cap-n-burn
01-13-04, 02:04 PM
yep nice one, that seems to have fixed it. doesn't seem any faster though never mind, at least it's working.

Hey, i have another question. this card seems to run faster at higher resolutions. ie 1024-768 runs less smooth than higher settings. Not a problem as the higher the resolution the better the picture (obviously). But, when i increase the resolution past 1024-768 i loose an increased amount of screen from the left and right side of my screen, the higher the resolution the more i loose. This seems to happen with all games. If i adjust the monitor size in game it then requires readjusting when i get out of game and onto windows that is running at the same resolution. My desk top is at 1280-1024 witch is high enough but at the same resolution going into games i am loosing the sides.

Some games allow this to be adjusted in the game but these are few and far between.

Now when i say loosing i mean the pictuce on the screen being shrunk horizontally and the gap made being just black. On my old radian card i had many years ago, the screen was adjustable to make up for this but on this new card it doesn't seem to have this function. Does anyone have any idea of a software or a method that i can use to correct this. THANKS!!!!!

Head_slinger
01-13-04, 02:31 PM
you need to adjust your refresh rate along with the resolution. So if your desktop is at 85hz then you need to get your games running at that too or your screen will resize.

saturnotaku
01-13-04, 03:43 PM
You'll want to download and use Refresh Force so all your refresh rates will be consistent across all resolutions.

cap-n-burn
01-13-04, 06:28 PM
hmm seems my monitor can only handle 60hz at these resolutions this may be why. even with that force refresh enabled it seems to have no effect. maybe my monitor isn't good enough. have turned down resolution a few notches which has inproved alot for time being