PDA

View Full Version : 5900XT DX9 Performance(HL2)

Pages : [1] 2

mattcoz
01-13-04, 09:20 AM
This card looks like one helluva deal, but I'm really worried about performance in DirectX 9 games like Half Life 2. Has the situation changed since the HL2 benchmarks were released? I'd appreciate as much info as possible. Thanks.

edit: And how about Max Payne 2? I read a while ago that nVIDIA cards were horrible in it.

Smokey
01-13-04, 10:12 AM
It may be ok according to this, The Baron posted the link in the benchmark forum, http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/index.html?bid=10 take it for what its worth. personally, I wouldnt worry too much, at the price point, the 5900XT is a better choice than the 9600XT or FX5700Ultra.

** edit**

Just saw your edit about MP2.

Well I run MP2 on my GF3 all max settings at 1600*1200, no AA and it runs fine :) so I can only imagine on a FX5900, btw, mine should be here this week!!

digitalwanderer
01-13-04, 10:19 AM
Isn't a 5900xt worse than a 5900se?

saturnotaku
01-13-04, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Isn't a 5900xt worse than a 5900se?

They're exactly the same, 400 core/700 memory.

And Max Payne 2 runs awesome on just about any card. It's exceptionally well coded.

mattcoz
01-13-04, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
It may be ok according to this, The Baron posted the link in the benchmark forum, http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/index.html?bid=10 take it for what its worth. personally, I wouldnt worry too much, at the price point, the 5900XT is a better choice than the 9600XT or FX5700Ultra.

** edit**

Just saw your edit about MP2.

Well I run MP2 on my GF3 all max settings at 1600*1200, no AA and it runs fine :) so I can only imagine on a FX5900, btw, mine should be here this week!!
I remember seeing those benchmarks, but were they ever confirmed? I'd love to believe them though.

I've currently got a GF3, got it right when it came out. It's been a good friend but its time to say goodbye.

Kev1
01-13-04, 12:06 PM
I feel the same way about my GF3. Have had it over 2 yrs now and its been awesome :) But now its time to upgrade and put this GF3 in another computer.

I got a Albatron GFFX 5900PV for Xmas which will be installed soon. I am sure a 5900XT, SE, or NU will play HL2 just fine at 1024 x 768. Maybe not quite as good as ATI, but still should be more than acceptable.

At around $200 dollars or less, the 5900XT or SE are just incredible deals
:thumbsup:

The 5700 Ultra is great card too. Am actually thinking of getting a regular 5700 for my dads computer to upgrade his GF3 too. He dosent do much gaming more than golf, so 5700 should be just fine for him. Maybe I'll talk him into playing NFSU if he gets the 5700 :D

zoomy942
01-13-04, 01:16 PM
kev1.. GET A 5700!! i have one and its a super overclocking monster! i have an albatron, and i have it past the ultra settings and it lets me OC my agp slot too!! 66 mhz to 90 mhz! its freaking great. i would have gotten a 5900, but i am gonna wait till the new stuff comes out, i have to save from now until then to afford it. my 5700 will run fine for things coming up. i dont use aa/af and i play at 1024x768.

ragejg
01-13-04, 01:20 PM
zoomy, I sent you a pm regarding your 5700... ///respond, darn it!! :p :D//

mrsabidji
01-13-04, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
They're exactly the same, 400 core/700 memory.

And Max Payne 2 runs awesome on just about any card. It's exceptionally well coded.

Yup. I played it on a friend's 1800+/GF2MX and it ran just fine. No stuttering or hickups, FPS was correct and the game didn't look ugly at all. Another friend of mine plays MP2 on his Duron750/KyroII and says it runs great too. So, yeah, I guess it's actually well coded.

mrsabidji

zoomy942
01-13-04, 01:39 PM
why cant al games be coded so well? screw all this "optimized for AIT" "Nvidia, the GPU of Call of Duty". make everything run smothly. some people dont want to buy new stuff all the time

DMA
01-13-04, 02:25 PM
Well, i guess people just can't forget the nasty benchmarks valve presented at "shader day". Remember that one? Sure you do.

Since that day i bet ATI have sold 320 BILLION cards. :D
Oh boy, that was some well directed stuff.

After that is was like:

-"Hmm, i need a new card for HL2, what to buy?"
-"Get a 9600 Pro dude!! Twice as good as FX5900 Ultra!!!111"
-"Ok..!"

What am i trying to say here? Not sure my self.. :cool:
But you'll be just fine with a FX5900. If not, i'll run the NY marathon naked.

:afro:

zoomy942
01-13-04, 02:29 PM
i'm glad i dont live in new york. HAHA!

Razor04
01-13-04, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by DMA
But you'll be just fine with a FX5900. If not, i'll run the NY marathon naked.
Now I am not sure how the weather is down there in NY city...but up here at the top of the state it is damn cold. I am approximately 45 minutes from the border at school and they are predicting -25 to -50 wind chills tonight. It is currently 7 here with a wind chill of -11 and a low of -20 is predicted for tonight before the wind chill...no way in hell I would place any bets about going outside naked right now...

mattcoz
01-13-04, 02:40 PM
Wow, and I assumed I wouldn't be able to play Max Payne 2 with my current setup.

The eVGA 5900SE is $184 from newegg right now, and that comes with Call of Duty and Ghost Recon. That's what I think I'll get.

Hopefully for your sake and mine, you won't have to run naked. :p

Edge
01-13-04, 03:22 PM
What's you're current setup? To be honest if it ran Max Payne 1, it should run Max Payne 2 as well.

And the ATI Shader Days benchmarks have been blown out of proportion. At the ABSOLUTE WORST, an FX5900 will run as fast as a 9600pro in HL2. Of course, that's in full DX9 mode, with the non-forceware dets, in a single specific benchmark. With mixed mode, and with the Forceware drivers, I could see it reaching near-9700 speeds. Right now HL2 and TR:AOD are the only things that really present a wide gap between the ATI and Nvidia cards, and even then it's nowhere near as bad as it was speculated. But then again there probably won't be any real confirmation of any of this until a benchmark for HL2 is released. Odd that they didn't release the benchmark when they were planning, wasn't that the week of the Forceware driver release ;)
Oh, and Max Payne 2 ran smooth as butter on my TI4200 card at 1024x768 with lvl8 aniso, so I can only assume that an FX5900 would be far better.

And yeah, that card from Newegg looks like a damn good deal. Even with the slower memory, it should still be a pretty fast card. Though it sounds like Call of Duty is just a voucher for it that you send in to get the actual game (gee, where have I heard that before :rolleyes: ), just so you don't get any suprises when you recieve the card.

mrgoodcheese
01-13-04, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Razor04
Now I am not sure how the weather is down there in NY city...but up here at the top of the state it is damn cold. I am approximately 45 minutes from the border at school and they are predicting -25 to -50 wind chills tonight. It is currently 7 here with a wind chill of -11 and a low of -20 is predicted for tonight before the wind chill...no way in hell I would place any bets about going outside naked right now...

*(kind of off topic)

Razor04, I hear ya man. I was stationed at Plattsburge AFB when it was open up there. Had the flightline shut down several times in the 1 winter I was up there, hit -50 windchill. The absolute worst cold I felt in my life, was when we went up to Montreal to party one winter night. It hit -82 windchill !! On our drive home, we had to make a roadside potty break on the interstate........................... oh the agony :( :( :( :( :(

mattcoz
01-13-04, 03:25 PM
Nope, it actually comes in the box, atleast it is supposed to.

dan2097
01-13-04, 03:28 PM
Yeah where the hell is that half life benchmark. Only about 3-4 months late

At the ABSOLUTE WORST, an FX5900 will run as fast as a 9600pro in HL2. Of course, that's in full DX9 mode, with the non-forceware dets, in a single specific benchmark

??? The 9600 pro would of blown the fx5900 out of the water in full dx9 mode. It was barely keeping up even in mixed mode. Of course thats with the pre forceware drivers so there should be a 25% boost (generic) and lots of half life specific optimizations ;)

mattcoz
01-13-04, 03:44 PM
The 9600 pro was beating out the 5900 Ultra pretty easily, that's why I was worried. But with both Valve and nVIDIA working on the problem I'd think they would be able to fix up the performance.

zoomy942
01-13-04, 03:46 PM
it wouldnt make any sense for the HL2 makers to allow the game run badly on Nvidia hatrdware, since Nvidia has a billion billion customers.

Paul
01-13-04, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by zoomy942
it wouldnt make any sense for the HL2 makers to allow the game run badly on Nvidia hatrdware, since Nvidia has a billion billion customers.

That's a lot of customers.

Regardless, it's hardly Valve's fault. The software world has to move on, and PS2.0 is where it's at. You can scale the options back so it can run on the pre-DX9 hardware, but it's up to nVidia to support advanced shaders properly in the hardware. Until they do that, nV customers will have to make do with the mixed modes available in the engine.

Razor04
01-13-04, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by mrgoodcheese
*(kind of off topic)

Razor04, I hear ya man. I was stationed at Plattsburge AFB when it was open up there. Had the flightline shut down several times in the 1 winter I was up there, hit -50 windchill. The absolute worst cold I felt in my life, was when we went up to Montreal to party one winter night. It hit -82 windchill !! On our drive home, we had to make a roadside potty break on the interstate........................... oh the agony :( :( :( :( :(
Did it freeze before hitting the ground? hehehe I go to school at Clarkson in Potsdam not too far away from Plattsburgh...too damn cold up here. I would much rather have the snow from home than the cold from school. This is my final year at school and the lowest I have seen was -60...I can't even begin to imagine a -82 windchill...it was bad enough having to walk to class in -50 or lower...that is when you make your own snow days and eat everything in your dorm cause it is too cold to go anywhere else.

mattcoz
01-13-04, 05:53 PM
Well I ordered it, eep!

edit: ACK! I forgot I hadn't transfered funds from my savings to my checking, so my card was declined. So I missed out on the $184 price. :(
Oh well, just $4 more.

Edge
01-13-04, 11:31 PM
Ahh, well enjoy the card, at that price it's an excelent deal.

BTW, I thought the benchmarks from Valve showed the FX5900 coming in close to the 9600 in raw DX9 scores? I might be getting confused, but I thought the 9800 (or was it the 9700 back then?) got 60 FPS in the one benchmark, with the FX5900 and 9600 coming in at about half that. I might be mixing up the graphs in my head though, I guess it could've been in mixed-mode that they were even (not that it even matters anymore, as those benchmarks are greatly outdated).

zoomy942
01-14-04, 07:49 AM
i hope the fx cards perform well on doom 3 and half life 2. i want them both