PDA

View Full Version : Quadro performance

zoomy942
01-14-04, 12:51 PM
anyone know if the Quadro series of cards would perform better in games than the normal consumer stuff?

-=DVS=-
01-14-04, 02:04 PM
Would perform worse probably or same , Pro card drivers are optimized for different set of aplications not games.

saturnotaku
01-14-04, 02:11 PM
Think about it for a second, if Quadros were better gaming cards, don't you think companies like Alienware, Falcon Northwest, et al would be putting them into their high-end rigs? Also, wouldn't NVIDIA be pimping those cards as such if they were superior for games? Lastly, wouldn't those of us who demanded top-end cards for gaming be running Quadros if there were, in fact, the best for that purpose?

zoomy942
01-14-04, 02:26 PM
good call. i hadnt really thought about it. i was loking on the web and i realized that i dont know anything about them.

Edge
01-14-04, 03:12 PM
Well, in the same way you'd think if they're making a card for 3d applications, they'd at least increase the speed of it a bit over stocks, but this is not the case. But I doubt that if they were 5% or 10% faster that anyone who only wants a gaming card would be willing to pay an extra $500 for it. Even if they were faster, I doubt alienware or any other company like that would use them in their computers, in's not like they're using 9800AIW cards right now.

saturnotaku
01-14-04, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by zoomy942
good call. i hadnt really thought about it. i was loking on the web and i realized that i dont know anything about them.

Spoken like a true gentleman. :)

Anyway, Quadro cards from what I've read aren't too terrible for gaming. I remember reading a test of the Quadro4 900, which is the pro version of the GeForce4 Ti4600 and it could run a lot of games with respectable performance. But there's no reason why you would pay the exorbitant price premium over its GeForce counterpart if you're not mostly working with MAYA, 3DS Max, et al.

zoomy942
01-14-04, 03:46 PM
i work mostly with that advanced 3d rendering/compiler called....

Call of Duty.

RobHague
01-14-04, 08:07 PM
Sometimes the Quadro cards are clocked a little higher than their consumer counterparts, but sometimes they are clocked lower too.

Anyway the drivers are optimized for CAD and 3D Modeling applications so games will run, but most likley with quite a performance hit over standard drivers. Now if you were to mod the card in software and install the standard non-quadro drivers you might get the performance back and beat out the equivelent card. But since the Quadro series are so expensive (your basically paying for hte Drivers and all the work and fee's that went towards making them) you may as well get a better 'consumer' version of the card u wanted.

But basically what everyone else said. I had a Quadro2 MXR at one point and i actually found it SLOWER than my gaming card for CAD/3D Studio so i sold it very quickly and bought a gaming card ( a Geforce3 ) and used SoftQuadro to turn it into a QuadroDCC :) worked great.