PDA

View Full Version : Self shadowing bumpmapping with offset mapping demo

Pages : [1] 2

Humus
01-15-04, 12:46 AM
I have updated my self shadowing bumpmapping to support offset mapping, which adds another notch to the appearance.
http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/3D/selfshadowbumpmapping.jpg

Both self shadowing and offset mapping can be turned off independently so you can compare.

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

MUYA
01-15-04, 01:59 AM
Is it with that new technique that was described in thread at beyond3d.

Top stuff man! :D

The Baron
01-15-04, 07:14 AM
You going to start writing game engines sometime? :p

MUYA
01-15-04, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by The Baron

Yeah yeah! I'll help you out with the alpha, beta, retail version testing!! :D

Sazar
01-15-04, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by MUYA
Yeah yeah! I'll help you out with the alpha, beta, retail version testing!! :D

yah and then he'll 'accidently' leak it to me... :cool:

MUYA
01-15-04, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Sazar
yah and then he'll 'accidently' leak it to me... :cool:

who me? :angel:

Edge
01-15-04, 10:43 AM
Once again, Humus gives us a great demo with a name that would make most normal people's heads explode.

"And now, I will show off my demo which features tri-linear mip-map surface interpolation"

"You mean texturing?"

"...yes..."

Humus
01-15-04, 03:04 PM
Is it with that new technique that was described in thread at beyond3d.

Top stuff man! :D

Yup, but originally described at opengl.org though, then later brought to attention at beyond3d. It's really a great technique. Simple and straightforward and easy to integrate into any existing engine. :)

Humus
01-15-04, 03:09 PM

Maybe. I was offered job at Digital Illusions (the guys behind Battlefield 1942, RalliSport Challenge etc) recently, but I had already signed up for job at ATI, so I'm not going to write games just yet. Though I might get in contact with many the developers out there.

aapo
01-15-04, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Humus
but I had already signed up for job at ATI, so I'm not going to write games just yet.

So are you going to write demos for ATI? :eek: If so, that's great, but I hope you're still going to code for all platforms. I'd appreciate if your future demos would work with nVidia (and other) hardware even if they needed a fallback mode. The propietarieness of the nVidia demos is just lame - I think you can do better and make great general OpenGL/DirectX demos for ATi. :afro:

The Baron
01-15-04, 03:56 PM
Nah, he'll probably write stuff that will then have a device ID check slapped onto it. Not his fault, though.

You ever considered talking to some of the smaller game developers as a side job?

jimbob0i0
01-15-04, 07:16 PM
Nah, he'll probably write stuff that will then have a device ID check slapped onto it. Not his fault, though.

You ever considered talking to some of the smaller game developers as a side job?

Huh ? I hope that's sarcasm there mate.....

None of the ATi demos do that... they are all run to straight standards and can play on *any* standards compatible card :) *cough*

The Baron
01-15-04, 07:25 PM
And if they make a demo as popular as Dawn, it will probably be device-ID'd.

Edge
01-15-04, 07:43 PM
Eh? The Radeon's Ark demo (as well as the 8500 Dolphin Demo, obviously) give me a "you don't have the right hardware" message. Did they disable the card checking in their later demos? That would be a bit strange...

Humus
01-15-04, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by aapo
So are you going to write demos for ATI? :eek: If so, that's great, but I hope you're still going to code for all platforms. I'd appreciate if your future demos would work with nVidia (and other) hardware even if they needed a fallback mode. The propietarieness of the nVidia demos is just lame - I think you can do better and make great general OpenGL/DirectX demos for ATi. :afro:

Well, I'm not going to be writing demos for ATI. I'm going to be part of the devrel and do some GL related stuff, SDKs etc, so maybe some small dev samples. But I'll continue to do demos for my personal site though.

EMunEeE
01-15-04, 11:37 PM
Is this demo running at like 2 fps for anyone else. :(

Humus
01-15-04, 11:37 PM

Nah, I'm not sure I want to burden myself with too much work. Not initially at least.

MUYA
01-15-04, 11:45 PM
Yeah its quite amazing that a few extra lines will enable that sorta effects...wonder why no one else had though of it before. Would make present games look really good with the extra bump mapping. At least more believeable 3D effects. :D Good work dude as always but maybe you could write a benchmark program based on your demos. ! Maybe even shareware/license program it when it builds momemtum. :D

MUYA

MUYA
01-15-04, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by $E Mun$
Is this demo running at like 2 fps for anyone else. :(

Nope runs quite well for me with 4X AA and 8X AF.....on a 9700Pro

Hellbinder
01-16-04, 12:27 AM
And if they make a demo as popular as Dawn, it will probably be device-ID'd.
Ok.. Now that is *Really* pulling something out of your ass.

Several of the ATi Demos are as Cool as the *Dawn* demo. With one character walking on a tree branch with o background... *Woah*..

Try the Monkey demo or some of the others. Much more impressive and NOT Device ID encoded...

Hellbinder
01-16-04, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Edge
Eh? The Radeon's Ark demo (as well as the 8500 Dolphin Demo, obviously) give me a "you don't have the right hardware" message. Did they disable the card checking in their later demos? That would be a bit strange...
That Hardware message likely has nothing to do with Device ID detection.

The Baron
01-16-04, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
I'm guessing it's looking for PS1.4 support (unless he has a Radeon 9700 or FX or whatever).

But, if ATI were to make a demo as popular as Dawn, you don't just release that demo to everybody. You release it with your cards and on your web site and ensure that only your cards can use it (to a point, anyway). Demos are advertising, not benchmarks for everyone's use.

EMunEeE
01-16-04, 10:51 AM
Nope runs quite well for me with 4X AA and 8X AF.....on a 9700Pro

I had to turn off AA/AF for it run more smoothly. And it still is running about 5-10fps...:(

I'll fix it.

EDIT: I got it running at 50fps with 4xAA/8xAF on..just had to reset it...now for the stutterring. :(

Great...1280x1024 with 4xaa/8xaf at 35fps. Good job Humus.

aapo
01-16-04, 11:03 AM
I'm guessing it's looking for PS1.4 support (unless he has a Radeon 9700 or FX or whatever).

But, if ATI were to make a demo as popular as Dawn, you don't just release that demo to everybody. You release it with your cards and on your web site and ensure that only your cards can use it (to a point, anyway). Demos are advertising, not benchmarks for everyone's use.

I think those R8500 demos need support for the TruForm. It was a cool feature back then, and nVidia drivers didn't support it. Some kind of licence thingie, probably...

In regard to releasing demos, I think it would be better marketing for the demos to work on competitors hardware, but to run slower and look duller. A truly evil vendor could even use the DeviceID codes to artificially slow down the competing hardware in the demo. But surely no one would be that evil, no? :angel: (I hope I'm not giving any ideas to certain competing vendors now. :p )

Edge
01-17-04, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/edge2/ati.jpg