PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my FX5200, i HATE IT!

Pages : [1] 2

G3x5
01-15-04, 02:08 AM
ok this has always been a problem, it just never gave me problems the new games games like NFSU or Simpsons Hit and Run. but if i try to run like HALO or 4x4 Screamer it'll play fine for about 10mins then everything goes whack! colors change all fruity and the polys go crazy like they exploded. I've tried downloading the new drivers but they also wont help, i updated my DX to DX9 and that didnt help.

PC Stats, just incase you need em to help me out:

AMD Athlon 1.0GHz
384mb Ram
XP Pro
GeForce FX5200 128mb
80gb 8mb HDD

Vid Card Specs:
256bit graphics core
1.0trillion texels/sec
63mill vertices/sec
4 pixels per clock
Dual 350mhz RAMDACs

Some might not really know what im talking about so i went on and took 2 screen shots of the problem.

This is what it looks like normal (used Celebrity DeathMatch)

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fd3e640_4082/bc/My+Stuff/messedup1.jpg?BCao1AABj80HcI6B

This is after about 10 mins of play on that game, everything goes whack! (same game)

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fd3e640_4082/bc/My+Stuff/messedup.jpg?BCao1AABs9uYd1ML

If links for pics dont work click here to view the folder. (http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/g3x5@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/My+Stuff&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/g3x5@sbcglobal.net/lst%3f%26.dir=/12-14-03%2bPractice%26.src=bc%26.view=l)

Mr.Clawz950
01-15-04, 04:06 AM
AMD Athlon 1.0GHz
384mb Ram
XP Pro
GeForce FX5200 128mb
80gb 8mb HDD

:lol2: That's part of the problem right there.

bkswaney
01-15-04, 04:24 AM
Kinda sounds like u have a bad card.
Or it's over heating.
How high r the temps going?

Mr.Clawz950 not everyone has the $ to buy a new rig very often.
Why not try helping him? :rolleyes: (pb)

G3x5
01-15-04, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by bkswaney
Or it's over heating.

I dont think its the card, because i can run Need For Speed Und., SImpsons Hit & Run, CS, The SIms, and many other games fine for hours and nothing ever happens, but i pop in some games like the once i listed and sometimes it just does it in a matter of seconds then i gotta restart the pc to fix the crappy colors and stuff.

and about the case being hot i dont think so i have 2exhaust fans and 2 intakes, the processor has a volcano 11 and my PSU has 3 fans blowing the heat out of it. i dunno how how it gets cause i dont have a sensor in there.

I dunno if this is true, i read somewhere dont remember where, that some games have a set refresh rate, so if the game has like a 75khz refreshrate and you have a monitor that only handles 60 that it'll go haywire. like its doing to me.

mrsabidji
01-15-04, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by G3x5
I dunno if this is true, i read somewhere dont remember where, that some games have a set refresh rate, so if the game has like a 75khz refreshrate and you have a monitor that only handles 60 that it'll go haywire. like its doing to me.

Nope, if your card was actually asking your monitor to display higher frequencies than it can, then you wouldn't see a thing. The screen would be black with an error message from the monitor or the display would be TOTALLY messed up and flickering. What you're experiencing looks more like a vid-card problem.

mrsabidji

marqmajere
01-15-04, 07:41 AM
Try different drivers. 45.XX series are great.

The Baron
01-15-04, 08:10 AM
I'm guessing it's bad memory, once again. Either that or the core is partially bad; if CS works but Halo doesn't, that limits the options.

zoomy942
01-15-04, 10:56 AM
the quickest way to find out if it is card related is to take your card out asnd try it in another system, running the same games. if the problem occurs again, then you knwo its the card, if not, then maybe something a little more serious is the issue.

Mr.Clawz950
01-15-04, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by bkswaney
Or it's over heating.

Learn to spot sarcasm once and awhile. (pb) I sent him a PM about the issue (I assume he read it) incase you think I was just trying to be an ass. And by the way, it sounds like the video card. My friends did the same thing awhile back. Turned out the memory was bad on the card and it kept going into funkadelic mode on him too.

Gator
01-15-04, 12:12 PM
if all games just suddenly mess up at about 10min of use, it's probably either the CPU or video card overheating

Uttar
01-15-04, 02:25 PM
1. Try *under*clocking your card and see what happens
2. What about gamma correction? Do you have it activated in your control panel options? It caused strange problems for me in certain games such as SWG. Maybe try putting it back to defaults?

Uttar

G3x5
01-15-04, 02:32 PM
I installed the video card in my old pc, and i installed 3 of the games that always give me problems, and nothing happened they played smoothly.

Would this problem have to do anything with the vertical sync under Open GL?

the gamma correction is on Default.
and how would i go about under clocking my vid card?

G3x5
01-15-04, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Clawz950
Learn to spot sarcasm once and awhile. (pb) I sent him a PM about the issue (I assume he read it) incase you think I was just trying to be an ass. And by the way, it sounds like the video card. My friends did the same thing awhile back. Turned out the memory was bad on the card and it kept going into funkadelic mode on him too.

No dude, i didnt get no PM...

zoomy942
01-15-04, 03:02 PM
use the coolbits registry tool to underclock your crad. just move the sliders to the left to lower the numbers. and i dont think the vertical sync being on or off will matter, i always have had it off since i began playing games back in the day. try puting some other card in your pc and see if it crashes. i love troubleshooting....

-=DVS=-
01-15-04, 03:06 PM
I installed the video card in my old pc, and i installed 3 of the games that always give me problems, and nothing happened they played smoothly.

Would this problem have to do anything with the vertical sync under Open GL?

the gamma correction is on Default.
and how would i go about under clocking my vid card?

What Motherboard you got in your main PC , try updateing bios and drivers maybe , old Athlon used to have poor motherboards. Does it support AGP 2x or maybe 4x ?
Also what spec of your other old computer is it also AMD or intel setup ?
If it works in old pc and doesn't in new it must be hardware incompatible.

G3x5
01-15-04, 03:53 PM
My old pc is a 600mhz celeron with 2x agp. about the motherboard i have no idea since the pc was given to me, all i did was upgrade everything thats removable. memory, hdds, heatsink, disc drives, etc.

I was on the phone with PNY just now, and the idiot doesnt even know whats wrong he was telling me everything i had already done, he was like well redoit again.. he told me it wasnt the video card, it was my games, maybe they needed to be updated. so he did no help. he gave me an RMA#

-=DVS=-
01-15-04, 06:48 PM
try setting AGP 2x on your main PC , maybe the motherboard on that rig haveing problems at AGP 4x if it got one... hmm try going into bios of your main PC and see what can you change like AGP 2x, FastWrites off , ect
Haven't used Nvidia card for long time so i don't recall if there is an option in driver control panel to disable fastwrites and set agp 2x.

Hard to tell realy whats the problem is , im betting my money that MotherBoard is the problem though.Updateing drivers would be good but you don't know what Motherboard you got .... enter Bios look for clues maybe :confused: model number.

kyleb
01-15-04, 07:56 PM
the motherboard model number is usualy printed on the board between pci slots.

G3x5
01-15-04, 08:06 PM
I emailed the guy from who i got the pc from and he sent me this.

ASUS A7V-VM (GLAS)

Motherboard Supplier
ASUS

System BIOS Supplier
Phoenix

Form Factor
uATX

Processor Brand
AMD

Processor Socket Type
Socket-A (PGA462)

Processor Family
Athlon / Duron

Processor Front Side Bus Freq.
200 MHz

Chipset Name
VIA KL/KM133

Chipset "North Bridge"
VT8365A

Revision/stepping
CD-F

Chipset "South Bridge"
VT82C686B

Revision/stepping
CD-E

Flash BIOS Device
Xbus 2Mbit

Memory Type
SDRAM

Memory Speed
PC133 (runs @ PC100)

Mr.Clawz950
01-15-04, 10:11 PM
No dude, i didnt get no PM...

Then it got lost somewhere in the depths of the internet. But now you don't need me to send one, because I told you what I thought the problem was. Although I do agree to try underclocking the card and see if that's the issue. Don't worry, these guys at this forum are great people. They'll square you away and find your problem.

G3x5
01-15-04, 10:32 PM
I dont really get why i need to underclock my video card. says it would run at 350mhz, but when i check under the clock properties its only running at 250mhz and the memory at 400mhz.

budd_wm
01-15-04, 10:41 PM
If his card works at normal clocks on another PC, then perhaps it isn't an issue with the card itself. Sounds like it's either a driver problem or a setting problem (may not be a video setting, could be a motherboard setting). I would try setting to AGP2x if you haven't yet like someone else suggested. You might try a reformat with a clean install of the latest known working drivers (whatever you used on that other PC for instance) and see if that works.

G3x5
01-15-04, 11:37 PM
I checked under the bios to see if i could change it to 2x but i found nothing only setting i saw about AGP said, Use AGP/PCI video card as primery boot video card. i think alot of the settings are hidden or something. if yall need screen shots or pictures just let me know. and i did reformat my pc just last week cause i got this new 80gb 8mb HD. so everything is fresh, i used the latest drivers from Nvidia.

i wanna try updating the BIOS, but i dunno where to find updates, or how to even beging to doing this..

stncttr908
01-16-04, 12:15 AM
I checked under the bios to see if i could change it to 2x but i found nothing only setting i saw about AGP said, Use AGP/PCI video card as primery boot video card. i think alot of the settings are hidden or something. if yall need screen shots or pictures just let me know. and i did reformat my pc just last week cause i got this new 80gb 8mb HD. so everything is fresh, i used the latest drivers from Nvidia.

i wanna try updating the BIOS, but i dunno where to find updates, or how to even beging to doing this.. I was looking through Asus's download archives and couldn't find any BIOS updates that described any fixes to your problem. All they had were updates for new CPUs. With the problem not occuring in all games, I'd have to say that this wouldn't be the culprit. Have you tried older drivers? Someone said something about the 45.xx series, so I think that might be a good idea.

G3x5
01-16-04, 12:27 AM
Well i tried searching for BIOS update and i had no luck either i tried to look for new Phoenix BIOS updates like the ones it already has, but no luck either. and i guess ima give those 45.xx drivers a whirl see what happens. if its still messed up i got the RMA # from PNY already so ill just send em my card and they'll replace it.