PDA

View Full Version : Overclocked XP1600+

pelly
09-29-02, 06:24 PM
I am absolutely amazed by this CPU...

For $53 shipped ( Newegg ), I am running at 1760MHz!
:eek:

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~seanp/newPC/CPU_Core.jpg

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~seanp/newPC/1760.png

You can find a full image ( 357k worth ) of the CPU core ( showing stepping ) here:

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~seanp/newPC/Stepping.jpg

I tried going above 165FSB, but the system was not stable and wouldn't overclock much beyond that...Looks as though a pesky NIC or the temporary graphics card I'm using is holding it back...

Once I find some time, I'll pull them out and try again...

One thing is for sure, I'm a happy camper...

:D

thcdru2k
09-29-02, 06:36 PM
thats a definately nice clock. i got the same cpu from newegg, but i didn't unlock mine =/. i can't get past 150, at 151 computer boots fine, but internet browsing is much slower. i think its my crappy nic. oh well. tried 166 where pci bus would run at 33mhz and agp 66mhz but no go.

Smokey
09-29-02, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
thats a definately nice clock. i got the same cpu from newegg, but i didn't unlock mine =/. i can't get past 150, at 151 computer boots fine, but internet browsing is much slower. i think its my crappy nic. oh well. tried 166 where pci bus would run at 33mhz and agp 66mhz but no go.

That may be the limit of the cpu if its not unlocked!!
I havent unlocked mine yet, and Ive got pretty crap RAM, so Im not in for much FSB overclocking, hoping I can unlock and raise the multiplyer a bit. Highest FSB I can get stable if I use AGP 2x not 4x is 142MHz, if I use 142 + AGP 4x UT2003 freezes. When I get some spare cash and the prices on good ram come down then I can try a bit harder :p

Great OverClock Pelly, keep trying :D

Bigus Dickus
09-30-02, 05:08 PM
I've got an XP 1600+ from Newegg running on an MSI KT3 Ultra2 w/ 512 MB Samsung PC2700 memory.

Currently running @ 1.9GHz, 180 FSB, 1.875 VCore perfectly stable on air with a quiet 80mm 30 cfm fan. I'm pretty happy. ;)

Switch
09-30-02, 07:30 PM
I've taken mine up to 1875 on default voltage. Right now I've got it underclocked to 1.2 as there's no performance increase with this PC133 RAM. I can't take it farther than 1.8 due to lack of multipliers and obtainable FSB speeds. I'll probably snag a SiS 746FX when it's released and go from there. This, of course, depends on when the 746's are put up for sale. Shouldn't be long though, they go into mass production within two weeks. Gotta love that $53 bucks shipped. :D

thcdru2k
09-30-02, 09:04 PM
wow you guys have some really nice clocks on your cpu. could it be the ram that is holding me back? its the first rev of the ocz pc3000. grr and its a volcano7, should i upgrade that?

Switch
09-30-02, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
wow you guys have some really nice clocks on your cpu. could it be the ram that is holding me back? its the first rev of the ocz pc3000. grr and its a volcano7, should i upgrade that?

Well before you do anything, what's the processor's stepping? It's not gonna do you much good to upgrade cooling and ram if the stepping is generally a low clocker. Also, about cooling. What's your processors temperature?

thcdru2k
09-30-02, 10:05 PM
hmm..i can't tell you much, don't feel like taking off the heatsink..out of as3.

is there anywhere to find that out using software? i can tell you when i bought it off of newegg though, i purchased it on august 14, 02. eek checked the date from rma request off of newegg, scary exactly a year after my last computer purchase from newegg.

pelly
10-01-02, 03:40 PM
You can use SiSoft Sandra to tell you the CPU temps...As for the stepping, the only way to tell is to pop the heatsink off...

Have you tried removing that NIC and then trying to overclock higher?

Sometimes, really picky PCI devices ( even AGP graphics cards ) can hold-up an overclock...Experiment and see if you can identify the "weak-link" in your system...

thcdru2k
10-01-02, 07:53 PM
hmm, can't believe i haven't thought of that...what is a stable idle temp i should be aiming for?

pelly
10-02-02, 09:29 AM
Typically, I like to keep AMD CPU's idle temp anywhere from 35-45* C......45 is a bit high if you're using a fixed-rate fan...If you're using a heatsink with a "Smart-Fan", the loaded temp should only fluctuate a few degrees so its OK...( fan speeds up to compensate )

The loaded temp should be 55* or less ( I aim for 50* )

What make/model heatsink are you using to cool your cpu?

thcdru2k
10-02-02, 09:57 AM
thermaltake volcano 7 ht, basically the regular thermaltake volcano 7

pelly
10-02-02, 10:38 AM
That should do the job just fine....

What sort of temps are you getting?

How high have you pushed the Vcore?

volt
10-02-02, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by pelly
You can use SiSoft Sandra to tell you the CPU temps...As for the stepping, the only way to tell is to pop the heatsink off...

Have you tried removing that NIC and then trying to overclock higher?

Sometimes, really picky PCI devices ( even AGP graphics cards ) can hold-up an overclock...Experiment and see if you can identify the "weak-link" in your system...

Pelly which HSF are you using ? I don't think you've mentioned it :)

saturnotaku
10-02-02, 11:39 AM

Y'know, I haven't tried setting my FSB higher in my system ever since I got rid of my Audigy. Every time I set my FSB higher than 140 XP boots to a blue screen. I'll have to give it another shot, hehe. :D

pelly
10-02-02, 12:57 PM
Pelly which HSF are you using ? I don't think you've mentioned it

I'm using a 9,000lb OCZ Goliath 2 SE.....solid copper with 80mm "smart" fan...

The idle temps could be lower, but the loaded temps never get above 49 so I'm happy...The trade-off is an amazingly quiet system...More than worth it in my book...

pelly
10-02-02, 12:59 PM
Every time I set my FSB higher than 140 XP boots to a blue screen. I'll have to give it another shot, hehe

For grins, try pulling out any PCI network cards you have as well....

I've had two overclocks that were being held-up by junk NICs...Going over to a new network card, I was able to push the overclock much further...

Given that NICs are so cheap, its worth a shot...

saturnotaku
10-02-02, 01:22 PM
I have a Linksys NIC, but you never know. :confused:

thcdru2k
10-02-02, 08:59 PM
hmm, my processor is locked...haven't touched the vcore at all, right now with just regular internet browsing, iso extracting, cpu usage is around 30-35% my cpu temp is 43.5 C. i guess i could be at my limit, haven't had time to take out cards and overclock yet though.

thcdru2k
10-03-02, 02:41 AM
well, i set the vcore now to 1.85, my ddr to 2.7 voltage. its perfectly stable at 150mhz fsb. at 151, i can run 3dmark2002 perfectly fine, its just the internet browsing that slows down to a crawl. could this be the network card? after running 3dmark at 151, my cpu temp is only 45c. so i guess that is under your recommened loaded temp? any recommended network cards?

thcdru2k
10-03-02, 02:44 AM
grr would be better if i could change the pci limiter on the msi kt3 ultra, anyone know if this is possible.

thcdru2k
10-03-02, 03:04 AM
n/m i guess my cpu is at my limit, realized the msi has a 1/5 divider that kicks in at 152. i can't even boot into 152, and that would be a pci of 30mhz. oh well, thanks for suggestions anyways. at least i changed my cas to 2 in the process. strange wouldn't run at this speed before. guess that ddr voltage helped.

pelly
10-03-02, 10:10 AM
If you get brave, you could try unlocking the cpu....I've written an article regarding the process and we should be seeing it within the next few days or so...

|JuiceZ|
10-03-02, 12:18 PM
If you get brave, you could try unlocking the cpu....I've written an article regarding the process and we should be seeing it within the next few days or so...

I can't wait for it man, reading this thread makes me wanna run home and o'c my rig now, heh. Hopefully my new ram 'll be in today so I can join the party. I know my board is spec'd up to 200 fsb which is pretty much unattainable unless yer using DDR500 w/ no add in cards, but I've seen several ppl run 180+ on it w/ no probs so I'll see how it goes. Thx for the tip about the nic too, although I'm using the onboard so I don't know how much pci bus effects it. I do wonder about how many times my sblive! pci card has held me back for higher o'c though.... Will keep listening 'til my ram comes in. Hopefully I'll have better luck w/ the rev2 OCZ PC3000 ram if not, I'll send it back and try a stick of Corsair XMS.

pelly
10-03-02, 03:17 PM
I just spoke with Mike and he'll be taking a look at the article tonight...If all goes well, it should be online soon thereafter...