PDA

View Full Version : Just when I think Apple couldn't be any more stupid

saturnotaku
01-16-04, 02:08 PM
I was poking around the Apple page the other day and I noticed that they're releasing a mini iPod. 4 GB, even smaller than current models. I thought it was a great idea, until I saw the price. $249!?!? :eek: 15 GB iPods are only $50 more. And the local Apple store to me had plenty of 10 GB models for the same price as the mini! What exactly is Apple thinking when they do stuff like this? Why wouldn't they have launched the mini at $170 or $199?

Once I get my Circuity City gift card (from a warranty replacement) I'm going to just buy an MP3 Discman and be done with it.

Nephilim
01-16-04, 07:26 PM
You know, people said the same thing when the original iPod was released.

Original iPod on release cost 399 dollars. The hard drive that went into them retailed for 399 dollars. The battery that went into them retailed for a lot I'm sure, because it was brand new technology in the consumer market. Apple was most likely selling them at a loss.

These new one are even smaller. I'm sure that, just like the original, the HDD and battery are eating up most of the cost. Give it about 6 months or so, the prices will come down.

Sazar
01-17-04, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim
You know, people said the same thing when the original iPod was released.

Original iPod on release cost 399 dollars. The hard drive that went into them retailed for 399 dollars. The battery that went into them retailed for a lot I'm sure, because it was brand new technology in the consumer market. Apple was most likely selling them at a loss.

These new one are even smaller. I'm sure that, just like the original, the HDD and battery are eating up most of the cost. Give it about 6 months or so, the prices will come down.

retail and cost price are 2 different things...

the ipod's components can't add up to that much... :) apple is making a killing off of the ipods and accesories...

just walk into an apple store and look @ how much stuff they have dedicated to the ipod :)

Viral
01-17-04, 05:06 AM
Is it physically smaller(lighter) also? if so.. thats a good reason for it to be priced the same. If not.. i agree with you completely:p

Head_slinger
01-17-04, 08:47 AM
well im buying a creative muvo2 4GB and thats 235. I would get an ipod but i dont like the idea of non removable batteries. and the muvo is sexeh :)

vampireuk
01-17-04, 06:45 PM
Have they sorted out the battery yet?:p

Nephilim
01-17-04, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
retail and cost price are 2 different things...

the ipod's components can't add up to that much... :) apple is making a killing off of the ipods and accesories...

just walk into an apple store and look @ how much stuff they have dedicated to the ipod :)

Yes, Apple is making a killing on the accessories (although most of them are 3rd party), but trust me, they aren't making a killing on the iPods. The price of those drive, retail, or not, is hellish and the iPods were one of the first consumer product to use the custom molded Li-ion batteries (and is still one of the only ones IIRC). Remember, the iPods aren't using a simple battery pack like most other devices, they are using a custom molded form battery that is shaped to follow the curve of the back of the iPod to save space and weight.

Nephilim
01-17-04, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Viral
Is it physically smaller(lighter) also? if so.. thats a good reason for it to be priced the same. If not.. i agree with you completely:p

It is. It's 3.5 inches tall, 2 inches wide, .5 inches thick, and weighs 3.6 ounces.

Original iPod: 4.1 inches tall, 2.4 inches wide, .62 inces thick, and weighs 5.6 or 6.2 ounces depending on storage capacity.

sxotty
01-18-04, 07:32 AM
Why should having a custom molded battery be expensive, most batteries could be formed in any shape for a minimal cost. My personal favorite right now is the rio karma, which seems fairly small as well. I also think having non removable batteries is a silly idea, but that is just IMO.

Kandoko
01-18-04, 12:07 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/audio/showdoc.html?i=1827&p=3

Do the 2/3rd generation of iPods still use custom batteries. I know they improved on their life expectancy from the first generation. This link shows the old and new batteries and it looks somwhat standard. I know theres a site you can get new iPod batteries from and put them in yourself if warenty's out dated.