PDA

View Full Version : asus a7n8x deluxe ???

stevedabomb
01-17-04, 12:58 AM
I have 2 sticks of memory. which are the 2 best slots to use for dual channel...the two blue or one black and one blue.

Nephilim
01-17-04, 03:57 AM
First and Third.

saturnotaku
01-17-04, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim
First and Third.

Check your manual (or download it from the Asus site) for exactly which two those are.

Gator
01-17-04, 09:12 AM
1st and 3rd
or
2nd and 3rd

not 1st & 2nd, that would prevent dual channel mode

1st being the dimm slot closest to the CPU

marqmajere
01-17-04, 12:39 PM
If you were to use 2 SIMMS in slots 1&2, could you put a DIMM in slot 3 without any problems?

Nephilim
01-17-04, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Check your manual (or download it from the Asus site) for exactly which two those are.

It's first and third, there are only three slots. So it's kinda hard to screw that up. :)

Nephilim
01-17-04, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by marqmajere
If you were to use 2 SIMMS in slots 1&2, could you put a DIMM in slot 3 without any problems?

Yes, but no Dual-Channel. Either way, AFAIK, the only way you will really see any performance difference with dual channel mode is if you have the integrated video, which the A7N8X (deluxe or not) does not.

The Baron
01-17-04, 03:11 PM
uhm...

SIMMs?

marqmajere
01-18-04, 07:35 AM
Yes, SIMMS. Single sided memory modules? The ones that don't have chips on both sides. I bought 2 of them from Newegg and they were single sided. I just wanted to know, if I ordered another 512 stick and it turned out to be double sided, would I be able to use it with the single sided since they would be on different channels.

PenguinJim
01-18-04, 08:12 AM
I have 2 256meg DIMMs in slots 1&2, and a 512meg DIMM in slot 3. You should try and have equal amounts of memory in each bank (and slot 3 is a different bank to slots 1&2), or you won't get Dual Channel fun.

Nephilim is completely right, the simplest way to install two equal DIMMs is to put them in the slots furthest from each other, as they'll definitely be in separate banks, which will let you have Dual Channel.

Oh, I have an A7N8X-D too :)

Nephilim
01-18-04, 08:43 AM
Yes, SIMMS. Single sided memory modules? The ones that don't have chips on both sides. I bought 2 of them from Newegg and they were single sided. I just wanted to know, if I ordered another 512 stick and it turned out to be double sided, would I be able to use it with the single sided since they would be on different channels.

No...

SIMM is an acronym for single in-line memory module.

SIMMs are a technology from back in the 386 - 486 days and earlier. Today, we use DIMMs, dual in-line memory modules, and yes, they are called that regardless of whether or not they have chips on both sides of the stick.

stevedabomb
01-18-04, 06:08 PM
ok well with the sticks in 1 and 3 i would get random crashes and games would shut down to the desktop....switched ram to slots 2 and 3 all works well....go figure

Nephilim
01-18-04, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by stevedabomb
ok well with the sticks in 1 and 3 i would get random crashes and games would shut down to the desktop....switched ram to slots 2 and 3 all works well....go figure

Question: Are they the same size ram?

stevedabomb
01-18-04, 07:12 PM
same exact sticks and ram size from crucial

stevedabomb
01-18-04, 07:12 PM
i dont understand it either but its weird....when i was using 1 stick windows would run fine with it in any slot but would only install if it was in slot 2......my computer is retarded

jimbob0i0
01-19-04, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Yes, but no Dual-Channel. Either way, AFAIK, the only way you will really see any performance difference with dual channel mode is if you have the integrated video, which the A7N8X (deluxe or not) does not.

Minor correction here......

All integrated devices (IDE/audio/network/etc) make use of the dual channel so if you aren't using seperate PCI cards for these you will find better reponse (latency) to all memory calls.....

Stevedabomb - as odd a question as this may sound do you know the specs of your PSU? And also how many devices (CDROMs, HDDs, etc) do you have in your system?

stevedabomb
01-19-04, 10:21 AM
its an allied 400watt dual fan.....i used to have an antec trupower 330 but the system acted weird with it so i returned it and this allied has worked perfect so far and all my devices are integrated

also i have 3 fans, 2 sata hd's, 1 dvd-rw drive, radeon 9800 pro

Nephilim
01-20-04, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
Minor correction here......

All integrated devices (IDE/audio/network/etc) make use of the dual channel so if you aren't using seperate PCI cards for these you will find better reponse (latency) to all memory calls.....

Thanks for that correction there. :)

Stevedabomb -

Have you tried it with both sticks by themselves, or just the one? It may be that one of the sticks might be going bad. Also, you said that it would only install in slot 2, what do you mean by that?

Also, do you have the latest mobo drivers installed?

stevedabomb
01-20-04, 10:39 AM
ok this is even more strange....i got rid of the antec and picked up that other power supply and now the ram works fine in slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 3 and everything seems to be running great now. I ran memtest for a while and it never gave me an error. Maybe i just didnt have enough juice or my antec was going bad...either way im happy finally

the ram fits fine in all slots....back when i first built this computer i would get errors when trying to install windows unless the stick was in the 2nd slot....i've also tried both sticks seperatly and they work...im also using the lastest mobo drivers and bios...i guess it was the power supply