PDA

View Full Version : RAIDing 2 diffrent sized drives?

Dazz
01-17-04, 05:02 AM
Just wondering?, I currently have 1x WD 80GB SE drive now if i got an 40GB WD SE drive and i set it to RAID-0 that means i still have 80GB space but is equ to a 14k drive in peformance?

saturnotaku
01-17-04, 08:05 AM
IIRC, in order to use RAID, the two drives have to be identical, same size, brand, model, etc.

Dazz
01-17-04, 08:29 AM
Ah crap, 160GB is toooo much for me!

saturnotaku
01-17-04, 08:52 AM
I did the RAID-0 thing and found it to cause more problems than it solved. But if you really want to try it, get a pair of WD Raptor 36 GB SATA drives and RAID those for your OS, games, etc. Then have a separate 40 GB (or whatever size) drive as backup for programs, movies, MP3s and anything else.

monkeydust
01-17-04, 08:55 AM
I have 4 identical 60 gb drives. I have 2 of them in raid-0 configuration and the other 2 unraided. I use the unraided drives for drive image backups (1 backup per drive). The reason that I didn't raid the other 2 drives was in case I had a raid failure and needed to restore a backup. Just a little FYI... ;)

Rampant CL
01-17-04, 11:49 AM
You can actually mirror 2 drives which are of different sizes, the only thing is that the drives will only have the size of the smaller drive. So if you mirror a 40 gig and 80 gig, you'll be wastin g 40 gigs on the 2nd drive bu will have a 40 gig mirrored set of drives

Sazar
01-17-04, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by monkeydust
I have 4 identical 60 gb drives. I have 2 of them in raid-0 configuration and the other 2 unraided. I use the unraided drives for drive image backups (1 backup per drive). The reason that I didn't raid the other 2 drives was in case I had a raid failure and needed to restore a backup. Just a little FYI... ;)

why not just 0+1 them ?

that way you are striping and mirroring.. specially with 4 identical drives

The Baron
01-17-04, 12:00 PM
because then you need a RAID controller that supports RAID10.

Sazar
01-17-04, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
because then you need a RAID controller that supports RAID10.

he doesn't have 1?

Dazz
01-17-04, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
why not just 0+1 them ?
that way you are striping and mirroring.. specially with 4 identical drives Thats what i was thinking of.

Originally posted by Rampant CL
You can actually mirror 2 drives which are of different sizes, the only thing is that the drives will only have the size of the smaller drive. So if you mirror a 40 gig and 80 gig, you'll be wastin g 40 gigs on the 2nd drive bu will have a 40 gig mirrored set of drives Yeah thats what i thought too but saturnotaku says otherwise, reason i am asking is that a little layer on i am thinking of RAIDing my drives and needed to know. the 40GB drive isn't all too expensive and would like extra hard drive peformance. 80GB to me is still ALOT, by the time i fill it i would of formated. I currently have a 10GB IBM drive as backup. Should be getting a DVDRW soon was looking at an 4x but thinking of a 8x so backing up 4.7GB won't be too hard and won't need the 10GB anymore.

The Baron
01-17-04, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
he doesn't have 1?
RAID10. so, you need support for four drives. and in that case, no, he probably doesn't have one--I can't think of a RAID controller on a motherboard (short of some of the higher-end Tyan boards, perhaps) that support RAID10.

monkeydust
01-17-04, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I'm just using my ABIT onboard Highpoint RAID controller. My only problem now is that I now have 94 gigs of HD used on my RAID 0 drives so it is now to big to fit on a 60 gb drive. Anyway I've just been installing games since my last backup so it wouldn't be a huge loss if I had to restore from it.

monkeydust
01-17-04, 01:37 PM
I remember now why I didn't go for a mirroring configuration when I was setting my computer up. Mirroring protects against bad sectors/HD failures. But, if you get a bad install on something that screws your OS up, you are kinda screwed at that point. This has happened to me several times. After restoring an image, everything was running again. If I had just been mirroring, the problem would not be that easily fixed since it would have been replicated on all drives.

I(illa Bee
01-20-04, 01:52 PM
you dont nessarlly need exact drivers to run RIAD.....to be a smart ass you can span the drivers and you are still running a RAID configuration....

but seriously, you can run say...2 40 gig drivers, of diffrent makes as long as the apindel speed is the same...ie...7200rpm or 5400rpm......

I was running and array for a wile with 3 30 gigs and 1 40 gig, all u100 maxtors...i just cut 10 gigs off the 40 gig....

Rampant CL
01-20-04, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
IIRC, in order to use RAID, the two drives have to be identical, same size, brand, model, etc.

They don't have to be, its jsut recommended as otherwise you a) waste the size difference on the larger disk
b) i cant remeber
c) if you ahve different brands they are more reliable, when mirroring, as chances are if you buyt hem at the same time they are formt he same batch, so they will likely die at the same time when being used int he same way.