PDA

View Full Version : power supply question?

stevedabomb
01-18-04, 09:36 AM
I have an athlon xp3000
1 gig of ddr in dual channel
2 raided sata HD's
1 dvd recorder
1 radeon 9800 pro
3 total system fans

do you think that my antec trupower 330 cant handle this much?
thanks

Dazz
01-18-04, 09:55 AM
Nope, although it might just beable to reason being both GF FX & R3x0 cards (Minimum of 350w) use ALOT of power to them selves never mind the CPU and dual hard rives

LiquidX
01-18-04, 11:59 AM
I think that would be good enough because I am running about the same things on a 300Watt with no problems. In anycase check out this site..........http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Ancient
01-18-04, 06:40 PM
How reliably a PSU will run for your hardware is more than output wattage. Amperage and a steady supply voltage are two important considerations as well.

As an anecdotal example -- I had a 430W Enermax PSU for my A7N8X-Deluxe (2500+ @ 3200+). and Call of Duty would just wreak havoc with the NF2 system. It'd quit to the desktop, lockup, or - if I got through playing and quit back to the desktop - Windows would act wonky. After trying a ton of driver combos, reinstalling, etc., I thought it was possibly a heat issue, even though I'm using an Alpha PAL8045 with AS. I played CoD for a few minutes and checked the history in Motherboard Monitor. The temps were within reason but I noticed that the voltages were dropping off pretty badly and the system was undervolting out of spec. In addition, there was that nasty screeching, popping, and clicking from the on-board sound.

Went out and bought an Antec 430W TruPower PSU. Popped it in and my system is now stable as a rock (like the old Enermax was with my P3 system). CoD plays fine and, when I exit, Windows doesn't get all Mr. Hyde on me. As a bonus, the onboard sound is now perfectly clean as well. Even the CPU temps stay a couple of degrees lower.

All I can figure is that the NF2 is a power hog. It seems to need clean power too. The Antec TruPower line provides clean voltage rails, but it may be drawing more amps than is available. imo, a high-quality, powerfull PSU is one of the most important parts of a stable system. Do yourself a favor and get the best you can afford.