PDA

View Full Version : Bad A7N8X-E??

ElderDruid
01-19-04, 07:22 AM
I just purchased a new A7N8X-E, and I think it might be bad. When I try to install Windows XP fresh, I get locked up at the "Setup is Starting Windows" prompt. I have tried different video cards, verified that my memory is good, verified that the hard drive is good. The only other possibility is the new Athlon 2500 processor I have installed.

Strangely enough, I can't even boot to a basic boot disk that I know is good.

Given the symptoms, should I RMA the mobo, the processor, both of the above, or try something else entirely?

Thanks a lot.

Ancient
01-19-04, 10:24 AM
Try clearing the CMOS and then reconfigure your BIOS settings. Use loose ram timings or allow the BIOS to specify the timings by SPD. Have a minimal hardware configuration - vid card, hard-drive, one stick of ram, and no other peripherals. Recheck all headers, like the USB headers, to ensure that the connectors are aligned properly.

One last possibility - check your Windows install CD. I recently had a similar problem with lockups during a fresh install and it turned out that the Windows XP CD was hosed. I used another one and the install went without a hitch.

Good luck.

ricercar
01-30-04, 07:19 PM
What is your power supply capacity? I always get that error/stall for WinXP Pro when i have an inadequate power supply on the machine.

FastM
02-01-04, 02:19 PM
Are you using the HSF that came with the processor? what are your temps like. Maybe re-seat (re-apply thermal paste) the CPU before you start sending things back