PDA

View Full Version : Branded vs generic driver performance

chowells
01-19-04, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I've just built a machine with a GeForce FX 5200 and because I was having trouble making Windows 2000 work with USB 2, I ended up reinstalling Windows rather a lot and between these different installs I used a mixture of the drivers supplied on the CD of my LeadTek Winfast A340, the latest drivers downloaded from the Leadtek web site, and the latest drivers from the NVidia web site.

I was rather shocked with the performance difference in 3DMark 2003:

Generic NVidia drivers from NVidia.com: about 650 marks
Drivers provided on the LeadTek CD-ROM: about 850 marks
Newest drivers provided on the Leadtek web site: just over 1000 marks

Has anybody noticed such a difference between the generic NVidia drivers and those specifically for their card before? Any insight into why it happens? I guess the LeadTek drivers may be optimised _a bit_ but not to 40% or whatever, I wouldn't have thought.

Cheers,
Chris howells

digitalwanderer
01-19-04, 04:56 PM
Are they all the same driver version or different?

chowells
01-19-04, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Are they all the same driver version or different?

Similar. The drivers on the Leadtek web site are 53.03, those on the NVidia web site are also 53.03, the ones on the CD-ROM are 51.90 (I think). Intersting, the ones with the biggest performance difference are the same version, the other version came somewhere in between.

Cheers

Quitch
01-20-04, 05:52 AM
Vendors tend to change nothing in the drivers except the branding and sometimes elements of the control panel. In all other respects I would expect those drivers to be exactly the same.