PDA

View Full Version : Mx 700 > joo etc etc


Rampant CL
01-20-04, 12:41 AM
Finally bought my mx 700, went to the update site, and saw the mx900 preview. damn.

Anyway, this mouse owns, especially for fps', definitely ups your headshot count

saturnotaku
01-20-04, 08:36 AM
Thanks to a 10% off coupon from CompUSA I'm doing an extended demo of an MX900. It was sucking hard at first, but I think that was due to the location of the base station. I have a weird desk setup (everything on pull-out trays) so I moved it under my mouse and keyboard and it's somewhat shielded from my PC and the 802.11b card it has so it appears to be working much better.

I love the blue connect button on the MX900's base station. :afro:

sytaylor
01-20-04, 10:59 AM
You didnt happen to have/still have an mx700 did/do you? A comparison would be awesome.

saturnotaku
01-20-04, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by sytaylor
You didnt happen to have/still have an mx700 did/do you? A comparison would be awesome.

I used to have one. The hardware is essentially the same, but the software is very different. The MX900 doesn't use Mouseware, it uses something called SetPoint.

I was experiencing some pretty bad interference with the 900, but moving the base station seems to have fixed that. One thing I've noticed is that when you leave the mouse idle for a while, if I move the mouse, there's a delay for half a second then it kicks back in. I can't remember if this was a problem with the MX700.

But overall, if you're looking for a wireless mouse, you'd be better off saving $30 and getting the MX700, unless of course you have other Bluetooth devices you can connect to it.

|JuiceZ|
01-20-04, 02:20 PM
Do a search for my post on the Logitech diNovo Media Desktop that includes the MX900. I use it at home & the mx700 at work. Bluetooth support is nice but it doesn't justify the extra $30. It also takes a couple of seconds longer to 'wake up' after a reboot vs the mx700 which may annoy some. On the positive side, the latest vers of Logitech's Set Point, BTComponents & Media Desktop software, have corrected most of the annoying bugs that have plauged their bluetooth hw since they were first released.

saturnotaku
01-20-04, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
It also takes a couple of seconds longer to 'wake up' after a reboot vs the mx700 which may annoy some.

It's not only when it reboots, but even when I'm working. If I let the MX900 sit and I leave to get a drink, switch out my laundry, etc, there's that annoying pause from the time I move my mouse to when the cursor gets moving. The longer it sits, the longer the pause. I couldn't take it so I swapped it out for an MX700. I don't remember having this issue with it, and I did take some time to get re-used to gaming on cordless. It's much better than I remember. Also, there's a $14 MIR on the purchase of an MX700, which was a very pleasant surprise when I was checking out at the store this morning. :)

sytaylor
01-20-04, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
But overall, if you're looking for a wireless mouse, you'd be better off saving $30 and getting the MX700, unless of course you have other Bluetooth devices you can connect to it.

Already have the mx700, was questioning for the thought of an upgrade, sounds like a golden goose, thanks :)

Rampant CL
01-20-04, 05:40 PM
There is none of that delay you mention with this mx700, but i did havwe something similar to that with my old intellimouse explorer.

saturnotaku
01-20-04, 10:30 PM
Got the MX700 finally installed and charged up. Logitech recently released a new version of Mouseware (9.79.1) and so far it's running great. No lag whatsoever.

Further, there's a bug in SetPoint software where the back and forward buttons on the MX900 don't work in Mozilla. They work perfectly on the MX700 w/Mouseware.

|JuiceZ|
01-21-04, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Rampant CL
There is none of that delay you mention with this mx700, but i did havwe something similar to that with my old intellimouse explorer.

Yes this only seems to affect the mx900. Thinking it may be logitech's way of extending the battery usauge on their new hw.

Originally posted by saturnotaku
Further, there's a bug in SetPoint software where the back and forward buttons on the MX900 don't work in Mozilla. They work perfectly on the MX700 w/Mouseware.

Upgrade them. Theres an option to allow windows to assign the back/fwd buttons and it works fine now.

Lezmaka
01-21-04, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
One thing I've noticed is that when you leave the mouse idle for a while, if I move the mouse, there's a delay for half a second then it kicks back in. I can't remember if this was a problem with the MX700.

I get that a little bit with my MX700.

saturnotaku
01-21-04, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Lezmaka
I get that a little bit with my MX700.

But it's not nearly as noticable as it is with the MX900, believe me.

Yes this only seems to affect the mx900. Thinking it may be logitech's way of extending the battery usauge on their new hw.

From what I understand, the charge on the MX900 doesn't last nearly as long as it does on the 700. So you could very well be right on this. Logitech could solve part of that problem on their own by including higher mhA rated batteries.

Upgrade them. Theres an option to allow windows to assign the back/fwd buttons and it works fine now.

In 1.04? I couldn't find that option. The only way I could get it to work was to assign the buttons to alt+left arrow and alt+right arrow. Only problem with that was a big green text box would appear every time I hit those buttons. It's moot point now because with Mouseware the MX700 functions perfectly.

|JuiceZ|
01-24-04, 02:41 PM
FYI, logitech just put out an update that virtually eliminates the lag from the mediapad & mouse coming out of 'sleep' mode. And I can confirm it does feel exactly like the mx700 now :thumbsup:

These latest updates are finally bringing the software up to par w/ the hardware. It's a shame it took this long though. Now if they would just release a dev kit to allow full customization of the display on the media pad :D

saturnotaku
01-25-04, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
FYI, logitech just put out an update that virtually eliminates the lag from the mediapad & mouse coming out of 'sleep' mode. And I can confirm it does feel exactly like the mx700 now :thumbsup:

Well hell, I might just take back this MX700 then and upgrade back to the 900. I like the overall look of the 900 more, plus the blue light on the charging station is kick a$$.

Thanks for the heads up Juice!