PDA

View Full Version : Hard times for NVIDIA

Pages : [1] 2

Cotita
07-31-02, 10:55 AM
For the first time in years, nVidia is facing quite a bit of problems, NV30 release is still up in the air, the statement that NV30 SHOULD be out by Christmas is not very refreshing, it's financials are extremely weak comparing to past years, sales are still quite good though, and competition is becoming much fierce.

Maybe the 6 month cycle has backfired, maybe they shouldn't have ventured into motherboard chipsets, maybe the X-box is not as good as everyone tought, maybe they shouldn't have bought 3dfx.

It's not to say that nVidia is dead, the Geforce4 Ti4600 is STILL the fastest card out there, but that's about to change.

Nvidia needs the NV30 not only to recover the performance crown, but to solidify its position and recover the trust of its investors.

JonathanM
07-31-02, 10:59 AM
Aye tell me about it. I lost tons of money with their stocks. Does anyone think now's a good time to buy (since it's hovering around 11$) and just let it sit until the rise eventually?

netviper13
07-31-02, 11:00 AM
It would be wise to hold on to your nVidia stock, every company goes through ups and downs. Their stock should skyrocket once NV30 is released.

ZenmasteR
07-31-02, 11:05 AM
its looking clear that the NV30 wont make it out in time

I think NVIDIA will go ahead with plan B (geforce 4 ultra)

also don't forget XBOX sales have sky rocketed after the price cut.
(131 percent) and news about nvidia being onboard with XBOX2

ATI is definitely however going to grab market share though

Cotita
07-31-02, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by netviper13
It would be wise to hold on to your nVidia stock, every company goes through ups and downs. Their stock should skyrocket once NV30 is released.

I agree, If you have nVidia stock now, its not a wise choice to sell it, you will have to hold until it recovers, I don't think that the NV30 will make the stock to skyrocket tough.

I sold my stock when it was high, so I had a benefit investing in nVidia, now that the stock is so low I'll buy their stock again, that way I'll help the company and who knows maybe make a buck or two.

Anyone knows where I could borrow a couple billion dollars and buyout nvidia?

JonathanM
07-31-02, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I'm definitly not going to sell my stock now. I'll be sitting on it for sometime to come to hopefully allow me to loose less money or break even (if that'll occur again).

volt
07-31-02, 11:39 AM
I remember maybe about 1.5 years ago thier highest was in upper mid 90's. Even if it's at 11 right now, I would still hold to it and wait.

saturnotaku
07-31-02, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ZenmasteR

You have any info to back that up?

A lot of companies, especially in the high tech sector are going through some very tough times. The unbridled enthusiasm of the late 90's have really come back to bite the techs in the rear end. Hold onto your nV stock, it will go back up eventually. Stocks are a long term investment; you'll eventually reap its benefits. :)

netviper13
07-31-02, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by d1rX
I remember maybe about 1.5 years ago thier highest was in upper mid 90's. Even if it's at 11 right now, I would still hold to it and wait.

Of course their volume is probably much greater now...I'm sure they have gone through their share of splits.

JonathanM
07-31-02, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by netviper13

Of course their volume is probably much greater now...I'm sure they have gone through their share of splits.

Yeah, the most recent was in early October i believe.

pelly
07-31-02, 12:28 PM
Actually, the stock split Sept. 11/12 ( terrible timing ) :rolleyes:

I would have to think that Nvidia stock will start climbing upwards again once new products are released ( ie: NV30, nForce2, eventually Xbox2, etc... )

I have a pretty good bonus coming and I'm going to be dumping it all into Nvidia stock...Hopefully, that won't backfire! :D

Note: the 52week high is $72.66...

Megatron
07-31-02, 01:36 PM

Im not so sure Nvidia can counter with a GF4 ultra/ Nv28. They need the Nv30 to compete with R300..not an Nv28.Remember that Carmack had perhaps what you could call a "GF4 Ultra"and it was still beaten by the R300, hence Doom3 went with ATI.

To release this card, and have it be seen as less than R300 will be a setback for them...just how would they market this thing.Nvidia isnt used to releasing a new card into the 2nd place slot, and this is what an Nv28 would be.

Darth Rancid
07-31-02, 01:50 PM
But if R300 really will appear in shops in september, and NV30 can't be out until january or something like that... I'd say nVidia WILL make a GF4Ti5000 or whatever, just to show initiative... priced right it should do terrible things to R250 based boards, shouldn't it?...

Cotita
07-31-02, 02:11 PM
Whatever happens to the NV30 you can bet than nVidia won't stand still. Most probably nVidia has a "geforce4 5500" with higher clock/mem speed and AGP8x support just in case.

How things change though, last year, nvidia had the geforce4 waiting in the wings just in case the Radeon8500 was a geforce3 killer, since the 8500 performance was dissaponting at first, nVidia had time to mature the manufacturing process and eventually release a much faster version of the geforce 4 than originally planned. Now that ATI has a geforce4 killer, nVidia has nothing to counter it. For the first time in years nVidia will become Nš2 and ATI will be the new KING.

How things change.

netviper13
07-31-02, 05:17 PM
Yet within a couple months after the change, it will change back to nVidia being in the lead...and seeing all the delays and problems nVidia has had with going to .13micron, I can't even imagine how long it will take ATI. I mean nVidia has had its complete focus on NV30 ever since the GF4 was released, and it's still going to be delayed a little bit.

But Huang did say it will be here for the holidays at least.

Cotita
07-31-02, 06:18 PM
I think its healthy that this things happen in the industry, The idea of having an allmighty nVidia was scary for some. Now nVidia knows they are vulnerable and will hopefully learn from its mistakes.

Jazz
07-31-02, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Cotita
I think its healthy that this things happen in the industry, The idea of having an allmighty nVidia was scary for some. Now nVidia knows they are vulnerable and will hopefully learn from its mistakes.

so very true. A monopoly is a bad thing. If market share was 50/50 between nvidia and ATI it would mean better things for us customers :)

CainSyris
07-31-02, 07:22 PM
What mistakes? Oh right, depending on the .13 process? Well, I suppose that might be a mistake if they hadn't enjoyed the large marketshare they've had for so long and being able to promise superior hardware in the coming generation, as well.

Now whether it really will be superior performance, that will be interesting to see. But they can promise its arrival a couple of months after ATI, so in actuality, this is not really the largest coup for ATI. Now if ATI had released when they did all their PR-eviews, then THAT would have been a major thing.

But it looks like ATI will be out only in September (Hardocp, Best Buy computer systems) and many sources suggest nV announcement in October and release in November. So...

A couple of months really isn't going to win a lot of marketshare unless ATI drops the price and at .15 process with obviously low yields, that will be hard for even ATI to swallow this time. Contrasted against nV with the .13 process and en masse when they finally do come... it will be cheaper for nV and they'll likely have better yields, thus improving profits for nV on their new card.

Being first is not always being best.

xCLAVEx
07-31-02, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Megatron

Im not so sure Nvidia can counter with a GF4 ultra/ Nv28. They need the Nv30 to compete with R300..not an Nv28.Remember that Carmack had perhaps what you could call a "GF4 Ultra"and it was still beaten by the R300, hence Doom3 went with ATI.

To release this card, and have it be seen as less than R300 will be a setback for them...just how would they market this thing.Nvidia isnt used to releasing a new card into the 2nd place slot, and this is what an Nv28 would be.

From what I've seen, it looks like the NV30 is going to crush the r300, and the r300 is damned impressive. This is excellent for the industry.

Bigus Dickus
07-31-02, 08:29 PM
I certainly wouldn't get to trigger-happy about selling NVIDIA stock. Just stating the obvious, but if you sell while it is low now, you will lose money. I really don't see it staying this low for an extended period of time (no longer than the other tech stocks that are devalued right now), but at the same time I don't think it will make it back to ~$50 anytime soon.

On the other hand, I think now would be an excellent time to buy NVIDIA, ATI, AMD, and Intel stock.

StealthHawk
07-31-02, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Darth Rancid
But if R300 really will appear in shops in september, and NV30 can't be out until january or something like that... I'd say nVidia WILL make a GF4Ti5000 or whatever, just to show initiative... priced right it should do terrible things to R250 based boards, shouldn't it?...

would a NV28(gf4ultra supposedly) compete with R250? i think not. it would be priced much to high. remember, R250 is a budget card, slower and more expensive than the R200. however, it supposedly has better multimedia features.

StealthHawk
07-31-02, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus
I certainly wouldn't get to trigger-happy about selling NVIDIA stock. Just stating the obvious, but if you sell while it is low now, you will lose money. I really don't see it staying this low for an extended period of time (no longer than the other tech stocks that are devalued right now), but at the same time I don't think it will make it back to ~$50 anytime soon.

On the other hand, I think now would be an excellent time to buy NVIDIA, ATI, AMD, and Intel stock.

ATI stock has been in the pitfalls for a LONG time. ever since they lowered their expectations for card sales 1-2 years ago. i has never recovered. heck, it has gotten worse. with the economy so bad, i would STAY OUT of the stock market. period. unless you can buy stocks now and hold them for a few years while the economy recovers.

StealthHawk
07-31-02, 08:48 PM

also don't forget XBOX sales have sky rocketed after the price cut.
(131 percent) and news about nvidia being onboard with XBOX2

ATI is definitely however going to grab market share though

XBox sales have done well in the US. what about in other countries? is the Xbox still sucking in Japan? what about Europe? one of the reasons it fared to poorly in Europe was because of the insane price, i haven't heard how sales are after they cut prices there

netviper13
07-31-02, 08:49 PM
I heard that XBox sales are going way up in Japan now that Microsoft launched multiplayer for it.

Cotita
07-31-02, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by CainSyris
What mistakes? Oh right, depending on the .13 process? Well, I suppose that might be a mistake if they hadn't enjoyed the large marketshare., blah, blah, blah

Oh so nVidia is perfect, they don't make mistakes, well then, maybe its god's will, maybe it their destiny, maybe its the world crisis.