PDA

View Full Version : a bottleneck?

zoomy942
01-20-04, 09:29 AM
i am OC'ing my processor.. i have a few questions...
1. i can push the processor to 225 FSB, maybe 230, but my ram doesnt like it. (my RAM is ddr 333 OC'ed to 400, cause i cant afford DDR 400 right now. it works great at 400). i can set the Ram, by percentages, to less than the processor, so i set it to 83 % and i goes to 183 MHZ when i put the processor to 225. should i leave them both at 200 and be happy or should i do this and maybe my performance would increase?

2. if i leave them at 200 fsb... if i lower my memory tminigs to 6-3-3-2. would that be a better idea? if my RAM can do those settings?

3. at what speeds would i need to start to play with voltages?

saturnotaku
01-20-04, 09:39 AM
For AMD processors, it's always advisable to run the RAM and fsb in a 1:1 (100%) ratio.

And if you're looking at 200 fsb country, you should think about tweaking your voltages. While your system might appear to be fine at stock with those speeds, download and do a torture test in Prime95. Select the test that stresses maximum heat and power consumption. I can almost guarantee you that your system will fail that test within 30 minutes if not sooner.

On my Barton, at a 200 fsb I had to up my processor voltage to 1.7. At its current speed I'm running it at 1.75. I can do Folding@Home runs all night at those speeds.

And 2-3-3-6 for memory timings is pretty tight as it is. That's what my PC3500 is rated for. To be able to run those timings on a 200 fsb with PC2700 memory is rather impressive. You must have either Samsung or Winbond chips.

zoomy942
01-20-04, 09:43 AM
i'll try the voltage. i hadnt thought about that. i had my fsb up to 215 at a 1:1 ratio and it went into windows fine, but i would load a game, like call of duty, and after about 5 minutes, it would show that an error has occured in the CallOfDuty.exe and must be closed. and i go back to windows. does this sound like voltage? and my ram is infineon brand, i dont know the chips, but i will look. does 6-3-3-2 seem faster than the normal ram settings when you are doing things?

saturnotaku
01-20-04, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by zoomy942
i'll try the voltage. i hadnt thought about that. i had my fsb up to 215 at a 1:1 ratio and it went into windows fine, but i would load a game, like call of duty, and after about 5 minutes, it would show that an error has occured in the CallOfDuty.exe and must be closed. and i go back to windows. does this sound like voltage? and my ram is infineon brand, i dont know the chips, but i will look. does 6-3-3-2 seem faster than the normal ram settings when you are doing things?

The crash could be attributed to memory or CPU, it's really hard to say. The best way to find out the limits of your system is simply trial and error. Go back to a 200 fsb on a 1:1 ratio. Up your processor voltage to 1.7, keep your RAM timings the same, run Prime95 and see what happens. In order to make sure that your overclock is safe, Prime has to run for at least 6-8 hours. Tedious I realize, but you'll save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run.

zoomy942
01-20-04, 02:22 PM
well, i know the answer to this but i am gonan ask anyway....

if my mobo doesnt have anythiong about voltage i am screwed huh? i have been OC'ing for years, and sometimes i have voltage options, sometimes i dont..

also, what is the actual speed of an athlon 3400+ non 64-bit? the athlon 3200+is 2.2 ghz.

Dazz
01-20-04, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by zoomy942
well, i know the answer to this but i am gonan ask anyway....

if my mobo doesnt have anythiong about voltage i am screwed huh? i have been OC'ing for years, and sometimes i have voltage options, sometimes i dont..

also, what is the actual speed of an athlon 3400+ non 64-bit? the athlon 3200+is 2.2 ghz. There no such thing as a Athlon XP 3400+ but it would be 2.3GHz but the rating should be lower since the P4's w/ 800MHz FSB turned up..

zoomy942
01-20-04, 03:21 PM
i knew there wasnt gonna be a 3400+, but i have a little more room with my cpu and all that, btu i dont want to go past my CPU fan rating which, ironicly, is 3400+