PDA

View Full Version : LCD for gaming??


Pages : [1] 2

einstein_314
01-20-04, 01:00 PM
I'm currently looking at buying a LCD for my computer and I play a lot of fps games. Is this a smart idea? I'm looking at an LCD because of limited space. Anyone have a LCD for gaming that performs well? Suggestions anyone?

LiquidX
01-20-04, 01:07 PM
Check out this thread....Glowstick also does a mini review of a Herc Monitor which he says is good and there are alot of other useful bits....and from what I have read nothing beats the Dell 2001FP when you can grab it on sale. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22823&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

MUYA
01-20-04, 01:21 PM
LCDs are great but U will have to be carefull of pixel rise and fall times. Higher it is more likely hood of ghosting. Which isn't good for gaming.

My Phillips LCD is great for gaming (grade A panel), no ghosting (except on 1 game which baffle me and only a rendered crane around Fomula1 circuits). There are a few good LCD monitors out there and as mentioned by liquidX, check that thread out to get responses from LCD monitor owners. I think some LCDs might have gone up (maybe just here in HKG only?) in prices as there is a shortage of LCD panels. Most ppl reccomend the HErcules or Hitachi LCD. Again matter of perference but do some reseraching as regards to rise and fall times.

One thing is fo sure, u get viewable area as advertise. ie if a LCD mon is said to be 17", it will be 17"! :D

|JuiceZ|
01-20-04, 01:24 PM
The NEC 1765 & 1760 are awesome LCD's as well. Check out the reviews (http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=24-002-078)

saturnotaku
01-20-04, 01:38 PM
I have the Hitachi CM174 17-inch LCD. 16 ms response time, 1280x1024 native res, DVI and VGA inputs, extremely lightweight and awesome picture quality (esp. w/DVI) no matter what video card you hook it up to.

I was a little hesitant to buy an LCD for gaming, but after checking out the specs on this one I went for it. I got mine more than 6 months ago for $450, including free shipping and a three-year advance replacement warranty from http://www.monitorsdirect.com. After using that display, I'm glad I didn't go for a CRT. My next display though will be a Dell 2100FP - 16 ms response time and 1600x1200 native resolution. :drooling:

GlowStick
01-20-04, 02:22 PM
Hi,

Yeah, as in my other posts i recomend the hercules PropehtView 920 Pro DVi, however they are hard to get, i had to wait in backorder for about 2 months.

einstein_314
01-20-04, 06:25 PM
Hey Glowstick, where did you get your hercules prophetview 920 Pro from? Are there any other places other than hercules direct (they're unavailable) and amazon (won't ship to me for some reason). Oh, yeah. I live in Canada. Anyone know of anywhere in Canada I can get this?

GlowStick
01-20-04, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by einstein_314
Hey Glowstick, where did you get your hercules prophetview 920 Pro from? Are there any other places other than hercules direct (they're unavailable) and amazon (won't ship to me for some reason). Oh, yeah. I live in Canada. Anyone know of anywhere in Canada I can get this? Well to my knolage no, only hercules direct (who dont have any) and amazon (who get a shipment in every 2 weeks.

Your best bet is to call amazon and get your shipping thing worked out.

einstein_314
01-20-04, 06:47 PM
Thanks Glowstick. I think I will go for this lcd. I can wait 2 weeks. Thanks again for your help.

GlowStick
01-20-04, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by einstein_314
Thanks Glowstick. I think I will go for this lcd. I can wait 2 weeks. Thanks again for your help. Sweet, i hope that you get it in a timely manner, like i said, i had to wait quite a while for it to get to me : (

EMunEeE
01-23-04, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I have the Hitachi CM174 17-inch LCD. 16 ms response time, 1280x1024 native res, DVI and VGA inputs, extremely lightweight and awesome picture quality (esp. w/DVI) no matter what video card you hook it up to.

I was a little hesitant to buy an LCD for gaming, but after checking out the specs on this one I went for it. I got mine more than 6 months ago for $450, including free shipping and a three-year advance replacement warranty from http://www.monitorsdirect.com. After using that display, I'm glad I didn't go for a CRT.

What he said

PenguinJim
01-23-04, 10:22 AM
I have the Iiyama E431S-B 17-inch LCD. 16 ms response time, 1280x1024 native res, DVI and VGA inputs, extremely lightweight and awesome picture quality (esp. w/DVI).

I was a little hesitant to buy an LCD for gaming, but after checking out the specs on this one I went for it. I got mine 6 days ago for 320. After using this display, I'm glad I didn't go for a CRT. My next display might well be another one of these, for multi-monitor fun :D. Also, non-native resolution games look sweet, such as Halo in 1024x768 and Diablo 2 in 800x600 :). This monitor comes in Black, Silver or Ivory (read: beige) to match your setup, too.

BTW, has anyone tried Freelancer on an LCD? I can't get ghosting in any other game for love nor money, except Freelancer. To be fair, I had chosen it as my torture test :) I'd been playing it a lot on a CRT for a couple of days before my LCD arrived, thinking that the moving screen + moving cursor + fast paced action would crucify any LCD screen. It was still eminently playable, but there was noticeable ghosting. I'd be interested in hearing if that Hitachi or the Hercules Prophetview can handle it just fine.

GlowStick
01-23-04, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
I have the Iiyama E431S-B 17-inch LCD. 16 ms response time, 1280x1024 native res, DVI and VGA inputs, extremely lightweight and awesome picture quality (esp. w/DVI).

I was a little hesitant to buy an LCD for gaming, but after checking out the specs on this one I went for it. I got mine 6 days ago for 320. After using this display, I'm glad I didn't go for a CRT. My next display might well be another one of these, for multi-monitor fun :D. Also, non-native resolution games look sweet, such as Halo in 1024x768 and Diablo 2 in 800x600 :). This monitor comes in Black, Silver or Ivory (read: beige) to match your setup, too.

BTW, has anyone tried Freelancer on an LCD? I can't get ghosting in any other game for love nor money, except Freelancer. To be fair, I had chosen it as my torture test :) I'd been playing it a lot on a CRT for a couple of days before my LCD arrived, thinking that the moving screen + moving cursor + fast paced action would crucify any LCD screen. It was still eminently playable, but there was noticeable ghosting. I'd be interested in hearing if that Hitachi or the Hercules Prophetview can handle it just fine. ill start looking for a freelancer demo now

bkswaney
01-23-04, 03:35 PM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-134-034&catalog=20&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Here is the one I'm looking at. :D
HITACHI CML174SXW 17" TFT LCD Monitor
16ms with DVI all for 399.
Great reviews. :)

Fotis
01-24-04, 06:36 AM
Why not go for a 12ms monitor like this (http://www.benq.com/display/lcd_fp767-12.html) one?;)

PenguinJim
01-24-04, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Fotis
Why not go for a 12ms monitor like this (http://www.benq.com/display/lcd_fp767-12.html) one?;) That certainly is a fine monitor on paper - let's just hope it delivers! I particularly like the disclaimer:

BenQ's Disclaimer
* Disclaimer: Please do not attempt to consume any electronic devices.

GlowStick
01-24-04, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Fotis
Why not go for a 12ms monitor like this (http://www.benq.com/display/lcd_fp767-12.html) one?;) Mainly for this reason http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/20031105/lcd-15.html

it seems that every company dose completely lie about their responce time.

Dazz
01-24-04, 12:21 PM
All these monitors are analoge only.

AthlonXP1800
01-28-04, 10:27 PM
How about 27inch Thomson Scenium 27LCDB03B Widescreen LCD TV? :D

It has 16ms (8ms rise + 8ms fall) and it never had ghosting. I playing alots of games on LCD TV without any problem and the LCD TV has both analogue and digital, my PC is connected to DVI. :)

GlowStick
01-28-04, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
How about 27inch Thomson Scenium 27LCDB03B Widescreen LCD TV? :D

It has 16ms (8ms rise + 8ms fall) and it never had ghosting. I playing alots of games on LCD TV without any problem and the LCD TV has both analogue and digital, my PC is connected to DVI. :) Cost? and resolution? sounds cool though.

AthlonXP1800
01-29-04, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Cost? and resolution? sounds cool though.

The cheapest I find is cost 1347.22 ($2451.10).

On Forceware 52.16 driver was perfect, it able to shown the option to display all resolutions modes in Display Settings up to 1600x1024 @ 75Hz. On Nvidia display tool's Change Resolutions showed one extra resolution 1920x540 @ 60Hz. 540 is look horrible stretched so 1600x1024 look much better.

But when moved to new Forceware driver 53.03 and 53.06, here seem to be a bug caused the option to greyed out, it cant displayed all resolutions, it only show 2 modes 800x600 and 1024x768 @ 85Hz in Display Settings and on Nvidia tools' Change Resolutions only show 5 modes below 1024x768 included 1920x540. Hopefully the next driver will fix it, if not, then I will email to Nvidia support to report the bug, request to fix it now.:)

So for now 1024x768 will do it fine. :D

GlowStick
01-29-04, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
The cheapest I find is cost 1347.22 ($2451.10).

On Forceware 52.16 driver was perfect, it able to shown the option to display all resolutions modes in Display Settings up to 1600x1024 @ 75Hz. On Nvidia display tool's Change Resolutions showed one extra resolution 1920x540 @ 60Hz. 540 is look horrible stretched so 1600x1024 look much better.

But when moved to new Forceware driver 53.03 and 53.06, here seem to be a bug caused the option to greyed out, it cant displayed all resolutions, it only show 2 modes 800x600 and 1024x768 @ 85Hz in Display Settings and on Nvidia tools' Change Resolutions only show 5 modes below 1024x768 included 1920x540. Hopefully the next driver will fix it, if not, then I will email to Nvidia support to report the bug, request to fix it now.:)

So for now 1024x768 will do it fine. :D ouch, costs more than my computer heh!

but what is its native resolution?

Dazz
01-29-04, 01:47 PM
Native rez is it's highest supported rez.

AthlonXP1800
01-30-04, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
ouch, costs more than my computer heh!

but what is its native resolution?

1920x540 @ 60Hz so many sites that post the full specifications recommend to use native resolution 1280x1024, but in the manual it recommend native resolution 1024x768.

So 1820x540 is the maximum native resolution, it do not seem nice to work on desktop, maybe it good to use it with DVDs as well as games like Far Cry which recognised 1920x540 but I never tried it cos it will slow my PC very badly. :)

PenguinJim
01-30-04, 07:54 AM
An LCD with 3 native resolutions. No wonder it cost so much :rolleyes:

Kidding :D

As Dazz pointed out, the native resolution will be its highest supported resolution. It is unlikely to be 1920x540, as it apparently supports 1280x1024 (which has around twice as many vertical pixels). And it is unlikely to be 1280x1024, as it apparently supports 1920x540 (which has one-and-a-half times as many horizontal pixels!).

In LCDs, the native resolution is the actual number of pixels that make up the screen. The screen cannot support any higher resolution, as it physically does not have the pixels to support them. It supports lower resolutions by divvying the resolution to fit its number of pixels (with varying degrees of success).

If you can get your screen to display 1920x540 and 1280x1024, I'd recommend trying 1920x1024 :).