PDA

View Full Version : Age rate problems...

LinuxHatesMe
01-21-04, 01:42 PM
I finally found the coolbits registry hack and was able to see a few extra options in my display properties. One of these new options is the ability to switch my agp rate. Currently it's set to 1x. My card supports up to 4x. My chipset supports up to 2x and so does my OS(win XP). But for some reason it says my optimal rate is 1x and defaults it to a 1x rate. I am able to manually set my rate to 2x for that is the maxrate on the 3 variables. In doing so it doesn't seam to change my fps in any of the games I play or improve the performance in ANY noticable way. Also after a few hours sometimes a few days my system will freeze/crash and upon reboot a nvidia dialog box pops up explaining to me that my agp rate isn't supported and has been set to 1x. Also states the reason for the reboot was my 2x agp.

I'm confused. Everything says that my agp rate is allowed to be put to 2x but when I do it crashes my system. What gives!?!?! Is there something that I have to change in order for this change to take efffect without crashing my system? Why does the option within my display properties state my optimal rate is 1x when everything else disagrees, ie. the documention on my mobo/chipset/gpu and os??! I'm using slightly older nvidia drivers(52.16) because the release notes don't mention anything I need within the latest drivers(53.06?) Btw, my video card is a PNY Geforce 4 mx 420 64mb 4x agp card. Need anymore info let me know. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

bkswaney
01-21-04, 02:42 PM
x1 x2 and 4 all run about the same as for as game speed.
Even x8 is only maybe 3 to 4% difference.

Just run x1 and be happy. :)

It's really all about sales. If u benchmark 1 through 8 u might
see a 5% jump. "lol"

PCIexpress might make a real jump. Who knows. We will have to wait and see.

Back when I had a max of 2x on my board 1x always run more stable.