PDA

View Full Version : Makeing my 128mb 5900 a 256mb card

Pages : [1] 2

I(illa Bee
01-21-04, 04:19 PM
ok i have a dead BFG 5900nu (core damaged by water block) and a working BFG5900nu..

I have already striped the card of its memory and all the lead points on the bottom of the memory are still very clear..

I do have some very nice soldering skills, I better! I have a $250 dollar iron. Think i can stick the on the back of my current BFG5900nu where the other 128 goes? I plan on trying it with small wires so each memory module would in a sense be hanging off the top of the card (top being the back side) with heat sinks epoxy on them....

has anyone tried this before? I have a 32mb Geforce2MX200 and a ****ed up 64mb G2MX400...I think ill test it by taking 32mb off the MX400 and putting it on the 32mb G2 MX200...the MX200 has spots for the rest of the ram... (both cards have the same ram)

PICs comming.....

Gator
01-21-04, 04:23 PM
you gotta be the first person I've ever heard of thinking of doing this.

Try it on the old cards first! And you'll need to flash the bios in order for it to recognize the extra memory, so try to find a GF2MX 64MB bios first, and FX5900 256MB bios.

cthellis
01-21-04, 04:28 PM
I would... uh... plan on having two non-functional cards right quick. :eek:

I've always pondered if it was possible, but certainly wouldn't attempt it myself! Heh...

Morrow
01-21-04, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Gator
you gotta be the first person I've ever heard of thinking of doing this.

Try it on the old cards first! And you'll need to flash the bios in order for it to recognize the extra memory, so try to find a GF2MX 64MB bios first, and FX5900 256MB bios.

That's wrong. In contrary to ATI cards, nvidia cards do initialize and detect the memory on each powerup of the card. The amount of RAM is not hard-coded into the BIOS like it is done with ATI cards.

k3nnis
01-21-04, 06:42 PM
I am just too scared to try this :( And i don't have the $$ to buy a 256MB card hehe. So i am out of luck. I just have a BFG FX5900NU.

Cheers.
Kenn.

micronX
01-21-04, 09:49 PM
The ram on both cards better be identical;)

ragejg
01-21-04, 10:08 PM
heh, I've always wanted to do that...

Hmmm, I wonder what a 128mb volt modded GF3ti500 with 3ns ram could perform like?? :p:p

...he, I've replaced an agp port on a kt133a board!!! this shouldn't be too dang hard... l(illa Bee, if you do it succesfully, I'll do up a GF3 (I can sample ram chips, one of the benifits of working in industrial electronics... that's how I got my replacement agp connector an replacement semtech voltage regulators)... and if the GF3 works, then I would somehow venture to try bga... we have the facilities for BGA I think...

GlowStick
01-21-04, 10:45 PM
crazy crazy i say!

budd_wm
01-21-04, 11:13 PM
Well tell us how it goes.....heh, something tells me it will end in KABOOM!!

GlowStick
01-22-04, 02:25 AM
btw how do you knonw what contacts go where, you gonna have to orient them right heh.

Unit01
01-22-04, 04:12 AM
****es, this thread make sme both :eek: and :wtf: and :D

LOL killabee you better have good soldering skills :D Just because you have a good soldering iron doesn't make you a super solder :D

Why not just use the working 5900nu and clock it up?

Martrox
01-22-04, 06:39 AM
Well, years ago - before most of you were born!(well, maybe not :D ) - We (I used to own a small computer company) used to upgrade the memory on the old original Atari ST512's by piggybacking the memory chips and replacing the resistors to a different value.......

Yes, a bit OT, but I thought some of you might be interested.......

MUYA
01-22-04, 06:52 AM
All I can say is you got ballz to try that out. Personally...I wouldn't really (even I had deft soldering skillz) as the 256MB cards are within reach of 128MB NV35 cards when overclocked.

Anyways, if you do erm try it...let us know if you were successfull.

Ok I am giving 1000-1 odds for him succeeding and getting it working...any takers?

:D

adistortions
01-22-04, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Martrox
Well, years ago - before most of you were born!(well, maybe not :D ) - We (I used to own a small computer company) used to upgrade the memory on the old original Atari ST512's by piggybacking the memory chips and replacing the resistors to a different value.......

Yes, a bit OT, but I thought some of you might be interested.......

Haha... very cool :)

I always seen the hardware for the 520's but never messed with it.
Even more OT... I still have an Atari Falcon :) haha... how's that for nastalgia..

I can solder but I can also tell you I would have a dead 5900NU (NolongerUlive!) lol, if I tried that.

:cool:

stncttr908
01-23-04, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't do it, but you may so we can see if it works. :cool:

Hellbinder
01-23-04, 02:06 AM
Makeing my 128mb 5900 a 256mb card

Smoking Crack, Speed Balliing, 8 Balling, Popping some Ludes, Downing some Black jakes, and running a few hundred lines....

-=DVS=-
01-23-04, 04:41 AM
Hmm me thinks ram should be same type / speed / latency to even begin working on something like that not to mention PCB wireing :wtf:

ragejg
01-23-04, 07:16 AM
heh, does anyone know what the fastest TSOP memory is?? //me stares @ my test mule GF3 with an evil grin :p//

p0lish_p0w3r
01-23-04, 07:33 AM
Considering the thickness of threads on a PCB I am willing to bet on it. If he succeeds you can publically humiliate me. Roll me in tar and feathers.....

GlowStick
01-23-04, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by p0lish_p0w3r
Considering the thickness of threads on a PCB I am willing to bet on it. If he succeeds you can publically humiliate me. Roll me in tar and feathers..... Can we just assume he will susceed, and preemtivly tar and feather : D

p0lish_p0w3r
01-23-04, 09:02 AM
That'd b fun woudln't it ?
But erghmmmm.... NO !

PenguinJim
01-23-04, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by MUYA
Ok I am giving 1000-1 odds for him succeeding and getting it working...any takers?

:D

I bet US$1 on him succeeding :)

PayPal OK?

ad hoc
01-23-04, 01:14 PM
Just some things to ponder before you continue your endeavors:

Those ram chips are BGA-style surface-mount chips. If you do not have an adiquate soldering system that is designed for BGA soldering (the tools look a bit like two heat plates that heat up both the board and chip to melt the solder on the underside of the chip if I remember correctly) the probablility that you will miss several balls is guaranteed. But if you can get that on without the use of one of those special (and expensive!) tools, you DEFINATELY have some soldering skills!

Once you've gotten that far however, you would have an unworking card on your hands if you think you can just add wires to the memory lines. Those memory lines have been METICULOUSLY sized length-wise so that they arrive at the GPU at the same time. If you add even a seemingly minute length to these data/control lines (1 millimeter or so even), your timing will be off from the other memory chips that are on the board. And when you have busses ON BOARD running at 500MHz, these busses are extremely hard to optimize for (timing, voltage, coupling, power issues)... Your best bet would be to just solder the chips onto their respective places on the board if you want a chance of it working!

Hope this helps!

bkswaney
01-23-04, 04:06 PM
Just sell your card and buy a 256.
That's what I did. :)

There is no way I would take a chance on
doing this tho.

LabRat
01-23-04, 04:15 PM
Didn't someone do this with a V5 6000 last year (add another 128 of memory)? IIRC, he was successful. I can't seem to find his page though, may be gone.