PDA

View Full Version : ShinEtsu Thermal Compound --- like a thick, creamy, gold butter... only silver

NickSpolec
01-22-04, 07:05 AM
Shin Etzu is the only stuff I will ever use or recommend from now on. And here's why...

I have tried and used half a dozen other thermal compunds on the same CPU and heatsink, and with each one (OCZ premium, AC2/AC3, various silicon and multicompund mixes) would eventually give the same problem --- After week or two of use, I would begin to hit some thermal problems (gliches in games and such). I would remove my heatsink to find that all the thermal grease had bled off of the processor core (and collected in piles around it), leaving it bone dry! There was also a nice clean spot on my heatsink where the CPU core touches.

It was driving me nuts. So, I order this compound and what a difference! Doesn't bleed, stays where it should, and I can actually run my processor at higher speeds (due to the fact that the thermal grease is not running off the processor) then before.

You see, I thought I had a bum 2500+, hitting "only" 2.13ghz on 1.8 volts. I could do 2.14, but needed another .025 volts! Not worth it. So, in other words, I was needing huge volts to stabilize at a rather modest overclock. I knew this was in part a heat problem, but I figured I needed a much more expensive heatsink to solve this problem.

Guess not. I can now do 2.18ghz at 1.8 volts (might actually need less, I haven't tested). I know I can overclock a little more too. So, this stuff is like gold to me.

Anyone with thermal grease bleeding (mainly Athlon users, especially those without shims), this stuff will solve your problem.

P.S. I also coated my Radeon too. Yummy.

|JuiceZ|
01-22-04, 09:28 AM
Sounds good, how much does that stuff run compared to AS and the others? I continue to run into the same prob and have been looking for a good solution.

Ninja Prime
01-22-04, 11:07 AM
Ummm if it's bleeding off you've got waaaay too much on there. There should only be a thin flim on both the proc and HS. I can't even imagine how that could happen... does your HS have enough pressure on it?

poursoul
01-22-04, 11:25 AM
I gotta agree with ninja prime.

I don't wanna sound like I'm a know it all but as far as I'm aware you should only have enough on there to fill in the microscopic gaps and pits between the two sufaces. Although I do want to see things you way personally, it's just no what I've read.

So as far as the blank spot where the core touches the HS, that's good.

NickSpolec
01-22-04, 02:13 PM
Sounds good, how much does that stuff run compared to AS and the others? I continue to run into the same prob and have been looking for a good solution.

Either you mean "run" as in price, or "run" as in bleed. It's 4.99 at newegg, and is virtually no bleed. It's a lot more thicker and stickier then the others.

Ummm if it's bleeding off you've got waaaay too much on there. There should only be a thin flim on both the proc and HS. I can't even imagine how that could happen... does your HS have enough pressure on it?

A paper thin layer covering the CPU core. That's what I've always used. Still does it. Don't ask me why.

So as far as the blank spot where the core touches the HS, that's good.

If that is how its supposed to be, well, I don't see how. Not in my experience. After the thermal grease bleeds off the core, I start having problems.

jAkUp
01-22-04, 11:40 PM
Yes ShinEtsu is really good stuff. A little thick, but really works great. However, I still prefer Artic Silver 5... extremely difficult to work with, but I dont care. I dont use it everyday anyways:)

vampireuk
01-26-04, 07:41 PM
I will only use Shinetsu, it flat out beats everything but Arctic Silver 5 and even then its pretty close. The older version was very difficult to work with but the newer version of it spreads easily.

Shinetsu rocks:D

joltcola
01-28-04, 10:13 PM
I saw reviews on shienetsu and saw that it was the best around.. and after I purchased it.. I've been using on all my computers that I build and use

this stuff is great

-- jolt

sxotty
01-29-04, 07:00 AM
As always what about ceramique? It is supposed to have all the good features such as non-bleeding, and also is nonconductive. I am going to buy some my next order just to try it :) Then ill tell youguys