PDA

View Full Version : Thief III in..... 3rd Person??!?!!

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
01-22-04, 09:27 PM
In Thief: Deadly Shadows, gamers will be able to play in either third person or first person perspectives, and shift seamlessly between each on the fly. The new third person perspective will further immerse players into the role of Garret [sic] -- the master Thief. Sneaking through darkly lit environments, stealing riches and ambushing unwary targets in third person presents a new, visceral gaming experience to the Thief franchise. Still, the tension fuelled gameplay in classic Thief first person view is there for returning fans of the series and newcomers alike. Ion Storm's trademark dynamic lighting and shadow technology manifests in Thief: Deadly Shadows new levels of depth and tension to the game's environments. Characters and objects cast real shadows that effect stealth gameplay, requiring the player to manipulate darkness and light to create your own shadows to hide in.

What??!! Say it ain't so Warren! But yes, its true. Thief III is coming soon, in 3rd person http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon13.gif Sorry, but 3rd person is just not Thief. I dunno, could work out, but then again I remember what Ion Storm did to Dues Ex. Only one more game for Ion to **** up... System Shock.

Here's some super low resolution textures to show off the "new" capabilities:
http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/thief3/20040122/

Dammit if I was president of the U.S. I would ban all consoles forever.

digitalwanderer
01-22-04, 09:31 PM
I heard that it will be default third-person view, but you can still switch to first person at least.

It's still going to suck just as bad as DE:IW I fear, but at least it'll suck in first-person too. :(

saturnotaku
01-22-04, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
Dammit if I was president of the U.S. I would ban all consoles forever.

No, see if you did that, there would be no more DOAX. No more underage, large breasted, high polygon, ninja girls in skimpy bikinis for me to fawn over. And that just can't happen. :p :angel:

The Baron
01-22-04, 09:58 PM
If they touch System Shock, THERE WILL BE A RECKONING.

saturnotaku
01-22-04, 10:03 PM
All their lives will be forfeit!

jAkUp
01-22-04, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
No, see if you did that, there would be no more DOAX. No more underage, large breasted, high polygon, ninja girls in skimpy bikinis for me to fawn over. And that just can't happen. :p :angel:

You can have them on PC.. where we can download "patches" for them:D :D :D

Gargr
01-23-04, 12:13 AM
Consolitis?

RAY16
01-23-04, 02:15 AM
They are trying to turn It into Splinter Cell minus the geopolitical storyline and being set in the near future.... O_o

NAZCA M12
01-23-04, 10:52 AM
Exactly that, apart from the 3rd persion view, notice the lockpicking which has evolved into a mini-game a la SC again. Isn't it a crying shame? They're copying other games that were in fact influenced by Thief itself (that's by SC creators own admission). I can understand that real time lightning and shadows need a good computer but considering their engine (modified Warfare), i'm just wondering what the **** do these graphics have to do with Unreal 2 for example.

One more nail to the coffin: According to a guy who claimed to have tried an early (Xbox of course) version of the game, they will be loading zones like IW, only that you get into a cloud of myst (missed?) first, then it asks you if you want to go to the next area. Perhaps he is lying, and this is the Xbox version but if you look at IW... it's possible. He claimed, each level was about 1/4th of the Bafford mission. I hope he's lying otherwise, nice technology ISA :mad: But this isn't going to be tolerated. SS3? Nah, if they **** up Thief III for the sake of MS, they won't live to screw Shock, or any other game. The Thief community is significantly larger than both SS and DE ones. If they're so stupid, we should let our wallets do the talking.

nVidi0t
01-23-04, 12:51 PM
If they mess up Thief III...

They must burn.

Ninja Prime
01-23-04, 01:23 PM
.... How do you shoot a bow in 3rd person?

Fatman
01-23-04, 01:45 PM
I gotta throw down my 2c worth of BS! Just the fact that the game will offer 3rd and 1st view options is good IMO. Hidden and Dangerous 2 managed to pull it off ok. BUT, here the issue becomes that consoles are now the primary target for Thief franchise. That's where the true evil lies. Everything in the game will have to streamlined and simplified just so millions of retarded goons can play it with gamepads on their living room TV sets. KOTOS is a great game, now imagine how AWESOME it would have been if it was developed for PC platform only. Aghrrrr!!! Consoles are evil. And yes I do own PS2 and Xbox, to entertain the unwashed masses who happen to wander into my home.

penner
01-23-04, 02:03 PM
i want to make a prediction as to how they will f**k up system shock 3:

it won't be called system shock 3, itll be called system shock: invisible shadow or something equally mediocre and the player character will be blind and deaf.

so itll have huge non-linear sprawling missions and be one of the largest games ever conceived with beautifully rendered high polygon models and photo realistic textures and the most complex lighting - the AI will be at a super-genius level, so much so that even the lowliest zombie will eventually be able to prove einstein's unifying theory if the game is allowed to run long enough. but as you play it all you will be able to see is a black screen, because you are blind. and warren sphincter will call it the most revolutionary exciting thing to ever hit the gaming world.

and oh yeah, itll be coded for the gameboy and then ported over to pc.

de><ta
01-23-04, 03:38 PM
The gameplay will be similiar to Hitman 2. The first person aspect in Hitman 2 totally sucked though...:(

Playing with the third person view however is not as exciting as first person view. Imagine playing AVP2 with a third person view. I guess it depends on the game.

stncttr908
01-23-04, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
If they touch System Shock, THERE WILL BE A RECKONING. I'm with you buddy.

Edge
01-23-04, 07:52 PM
Interesting, could work out. Unlike other people, I'm not going to openly bash a game and talk about how it's going to suck when the only information we have on it is a few screenshots and the fact that it's going to have an optional third-person view. Amazing that everyone is already being so quick to blame how the game will end up because an Xbox version is in the works, I don't remember anyone downplaying Morrowind, KOTOR, Max Payne 2, or UT2003 for that reason. I found DX:IW to be a bit of a disapointment, but still quite enjoyable, so I'm looking forward to Thief: DS as well.

jAkUp
01-23-04, 08:11 PM
The reason everyone is quick point fingers, is because the obvious direction the game is heading. 3rd person mode??!!! Thats not Thief. They are putting it in to attract all the console lamers.:rolleyes: Thief is not a console game. It is a first person, hide and sneak action game.

And those console style graphics just not convincing me either. IonStorm just cant be forgiven due to thier recent track record.

And also, Morrowind, KOTOR, Max Payne 2, & UT2003 were all primarly PCGames. Alot of development was put into the PC versions. IonStorm is making a PC Port with Thief 3

TheTaz
01-23-04, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
If they touch System Shock, THERE WILL BE A RECKONING.

I believe EA still has the System Shock license.

Also, I think if anyone were to do a System Shock 3, it would be Irrational Games (The other half of the Looking Glass Team), not Ion Storm.

Taz

NAZCA M12
01-23-04, 10:29 PM
What jAkUp said plus this: When Eidos press release talks of the 3rd persion view improving the immersion of the game what do they mean? Who are they kidding? How about that Edge? Those idiots went as far as mentioning Garret ffs. Since you played IW, did you bother to play IW Xbox version? I had the opportunity to compare them and trust me, they do play the same more or less with few differences (which is exactly what ISA was promising to deliver). A state of the art system would play almost the say low-res junk as an Xbox. Why? My system would need to load little chunks of maps just as the Xbox only that i had an installation of >1G. Does that not give you the impression that we got a butchered game? These games share the same engine. What makes you think they won't do the same?

Edge
01-23-04, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
The reason everyone is quick point fingers, is because the obvious direction the game is heading. 3rd person mode??!!! Thats not Thief. They are putting it in to attract all the console lamers.:rolleyes: Thief is not a console game. It is a first person, hide and sneak action game.

And those console style graphics just not convincing me either. IonStorm just cant be forgiven due to thier recent track record.

And also, Morrowind, KOTOR, Max Payne 2, & UT2003 were all primarly PCGames. Alot of development was put into the PC versions. IonStorm is making a PC Port with Thief 3

Well it's certainly a change (keeping in mind that the third person mode is OPTIONAL), but that doesn't mean it's a totally different game. Thief 1 could've very well have been in third-person mode, and I doubt the gameplay would've been drasticly different. Obviously, it changes the feel of it a bit, but the entire sneaking/stealth gameplay would've been exactly the same. Like how adding the first-person mode to Hitman 2 didn't turn the game into a first-person shooter.

Additionally, I don't see how having an optional third-person camera makes it a console game. There have been lots of third person games on PC, some of which were stealth games. Perhaps the developer simply figured that it made sense for a stealth game to be in 3rd person (which I can understand, since it's logical to think that being able to tell exactly how your body is positioned would be important in a game where you have to conceal yourself). But what do you mean by "console style" graphics? The graphics remind me more of Doom 3 then anything else, which last I checked was still a PC game.

Oh, and how was KOTOR a primarilly PC game when the Xbox version came out 3 months before the PC version?

Edge
01-23-04, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
What jAkUp said plus this: When Eidos press release talks of the 3rd persion view improving the immersion of the game what do they mean? Who are they kidding? How about that Edge? Those idiots went as far as mentioning Garret ffs. Since you played IW, did you bother to play IW Xbox version? I had the opportunity to compare them and trust me, they do play the same more or less with few differences (which is exactly what ISA was promising to deliver). A state of the art system would play almost the say low-res junk as an Xbox. Why? My system would need to load little chunks of maps just as the Xbox only that i had an installation of >1G. Does that not give you the impression that we got a butchered game? These games share the same engine. What makes you think they won't do the same?

I don't think it will help with the immersion much, but for gameplay mechanic reasons I can see why it would be prefered (I'll probably play it in first-person mode, though). Not that I put much faith into PR jibberish though, I'll decide for myself what the changes do to the game, though I'd like to see some videos of it so I can see how the game works in 3rd person before I fully decide if the game will work good in the third-person or not.

And yes I played IW on both platforms (although only the demo on the Xbox) and the main thing I noticed was how much more difficult it was to select inventory and bio-mods on the Xbox (it's almost like they designed the game for a keyboard or something crazy like that). Of course, the actual game was almost exactly the same on both platforms, just as Morrowind, KOTOR, and Max Payne 1/2 were. The Xbox version of IW ran about as well as it did on my computer, which again was also the case with KOTOR, Morrowind, and Max Payne 2. In fact, I think pretty much all the recent PC/console ports have ended up being the same on both platforms, with of course a few exceptions. And yes, the areas in DX:IW were probably made smaller because of the Xbox, but doesn't the game already require 256 megs of ram on the PC? Wouldn't they have had to raise that if they made the levels bigger? But I think the best example of "consolitising" a feature in a game would be the ram usage in Morrowind: even on PC I never saw it use more then 100 megs of ram, so it's obvious that they designed the loading and streaming system around the Xbox's memory (I mean comeon, I haven't seen PC games use less then 100 megs of ram since 1999).

nVidi0t
01-24-04, 05:04 AM
What's with those low res textures?

Bring back Looking Glass :(

SH0DAN
01-26-04, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by nVidi0t

Bring back Looking Glass :(

here here !!!

shim
01-26-04, 04:53 PM
if any company takes up SS2 and f**ks it up, id fly from australia to where ever to make sure they make the best in the series with a little perswasion.. ;)

NAZCA M12
01-26-04, 05:25 PM
...while i'm packing my stuff preparing to go to Texas. If they **** up Thief III (i refuse to call it DS) for the sake of a ****ing cosole (couldn't care less if it's Xbox or PS2 or whatever), they're so screwed :mad: