PDA

View Full Version : Atari shuts down Legend Entertainment

Skuzzy
01-23-04, 07:02 AM
Well, so much for Unreal XMP. Too bad. Heck of a game.

eL_PuSHeR
01-23-04, 12:46 PM
What the f*ck is happening with game companies? Are they going nuts or what? First Interplay cancels Black Isle (=Fallout 3 project) and now Legend. SHIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!! - Sorry for the rant.

Skuzzy
01-23-04, 01:25 PM
Bums me up. The other games Legend did was "Return to Na Pali" and "Wheel of Time".

I always liked their art work. Really hate to see them go away.

Ninja Prime
01-23-04, 01:31 PM
It does seem like all the small studios that made all the great games are going under or getting fux0red and becoming crappy(Ionstorm). It's just like I predicted 5 years ago, going the way of the movie industry, and all the little guys with good games and ideas get shafted by all the morAns and their POS games that all the other morAns buy because they have tits/ass/blood in them. :cry:

Ninja Prime
01-23-04, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Bums me out. The other games Legend did was "Return to Na Pali" and "Wheel of Time".

I always liked their art work. Really hate to see them go away.

I loved Wheel of Time, IMO that game has better atmosphere than any other game to day. Shadgar Logath(sp?) scared the hell out of me. :D

Skuzzy
01-23-04, 01:42 PM
The small studios getting axed hurts the independent consultant industry as well (me!). I keep losing clients.

The impact the closings of the small game shops runs wider than most people are aware of.

Legend's closing came as a surprise to me. From the outside, they looked like they were really getting ready to come into their own.

John Reynolds
01-23-04, 09:52 PM
Wheel of Time was my favorite Legend game, and the best use of the first Unreal engine.

NAZCA M12
01-23-04, 10:15 PM
Makes me feel awful. After Monkey Foot (and one of my favorites Urban Chaos), now Legend. And yes, i loved Wheel of time. Sad

Mandarb1
01-24-04, 01:00 AM
WoT is still being played online :)

|JuiceZ|
01-24-04, 01:31 PM
Yea WoT was a great game. Hate to see those guys go under even if U2 didn't raise up to par w/ the original they made some good games :(

Nv40
01-24-04, 02:12 PM
but the latest Legend Entertainment work.. ->Unreal2 was far from a new game..
it was like an UT2003 mod. a copy/paste of most basic ideas of similar games. the only UNreal series game i liked was Unreal1 which at times looks to have better graphics than all others :) which was done by the big guys at Epic. i dont know where but i read somewhere that Epic was not happy with what game developers have done with their UT2003/or UT2 or both.. so they decided to do it RIght the next time .
really waiting to see U3 with Dx9 as minimun in graphics. :)

Skuzzy
01-24-04, 07:30 PM
Unreal2 is completely different from UT2003. Unreal3 probaly won't happen. Unreal2 did not sell that well. Shame actually. With the XMP multiplayer mod it really is fun and a bit different from anything else in the UT stable.

All a moot point. Legend is gone.

Nv40
01-24-04, 07:55 PM
Epic is already working in a new game.. showed in the Nv30 Comdex video..
using Perpixell Ligting/softwshadows with very high polys , pure Dx9 game .
i use the term U3 just for that game. that they may end calling it ,in a new way ,but still the concept is the same an Fps shooter ,with Gothic style of enviroments.. :)

The Baron
01-24-04, 08:04 PM
oh, so they're remaking Quake?

sorry, couldn't resist.

(ps, NV40, what will you do if your namesake ends up sucking completely? change your name to NV50? :p )

Nv40
01-24-04, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
oh, so they're remaking Quake?

sorry, couldn't resist.

(ps, NV40, what will you do if your namesake ends up sucking completely? change your name to NV50? :p )

it looks more that they are remaking Unreal1 but with the latest tech.. and i suspect with some of the gameplay of Halo and Tribes games.

btw.good idea about the name.. :) thanks for the Tip.. :D

PenguinJim
01-24-04, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Prime
It's just like I predicted 5 years ago, going the way of the movie industry, and all the little guys with good games and ideas get shafted by all the morAns and their POS games that all the other morAns buy because they have tits/ass/blood in them. :cry:
That's nothing! On the Greyash BBS 8 years ago I predicted that in 8 years' time (around 2004) the majority of the Internet would be feckless users who couldn't spell "a lot", had no control over their capital letters, couldn't actually type the vast majority of sense-making English language, and would defend their inferior graphics cards (or the inferior graphics cards that happened to be produced by the company that made their superior graphics cards) beyond any point of logical reason.

And (and this is PURELY a typing point) I just typed this out having been on the piss for many hours, then gone out clubbing until closing time, gotten a lift home for someone I happened to know (;) teeheehee) and THEN gotten a phone call that woke me up, and dragged me halfway across town for another drunken party at some straight's house. Of course, UK types know what I'm talking about, cos this is the weekend (would've been MAD if this were a Monday night :)). Um. I know I had a point at the start of that. Oh yeah! If I can type well while drunk enough to find my numpad sexy, surely you guys can type well while having the World in single-oh-vision™? Am I the only one (apart from that guy) with a Preview Reply button?

Ninja Prime
01-25-04, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
That's nothing! On the Greyash BBS 8 years ago I predicted that in 8 years' time (around 2004) the majority of the Internet would be feckless users who couldn't spell "a lot", had no control over their capital letters, couldn't actually type the vast majority of sense-making English language, and would defend their inferior graphics cards (or the inferior graphics cards that happened to be produced by the company that made their superior graphics cards) beyond any point of logical reason.

And (and this is PURELY a typing point) I just typed this out having been on the piss for many hours, then gone out clubbing until closing time, gotten a lift home for someone I happened to know (;) teeheehee) and THEN gotten a phone call that woke me up, and dragged me halfway across town for another drunken party at some straight's house. Of course, UK types know what I'm talking about, cos this is the weekend (would've been MAD if this were a Monday night :)). Um. I know I had a point at the start of that. Oh yeah! If I can type well while drunk enough to find my numpad sexy, surely you guys can type well while having the World in single-oh-vision™? Am I the only one (apart from that guy) with a Preview Reply button?

OMFG, now way! That's alot of Stuff yuo wr0te their! XGI ownz!

PenguinJim
01-25-04, 06:38 AM
Eep! Ignore that post, guys, sorry. God only knows what I say to girls when I'm drunk. :angel2:

Actually, I'm kind've glad I wrote that. I was wondering why, after I got home, I suddenly ran across town to a party. Ah well, off to clean my numpad. :o

SH0DAN
01-25-04, 11:21 AM
i remember playing WOT,and the last cut scene is left wide open for a sequel.i purchased,WOT,U2,and return to napali[the only one i disliked
out of the three.

nVidi0t
01-25-04, 12:25 PM
I'm still a bit pissed at Legend for screwing up the Unreal 1 add on, but they redeemed themselves with XMP. Farewell guys! :(