PDA

View Full Version : Gf4 64mb

theedge
01-24-04, 04:35 PM
Hey guys,
My brother has a Chaintech GF4 64MB PCI card and the fan is making a lot of noise on it. Would it be safe to just disconnect the fan? Or does it NEED to have a HS on there.

Edge
01-24-04, 05:44 PM
Well, it's definatly not a good thing to run the card without a working fan. All that extra heat will shorten it's life a bit, not to mention ruin any chance of overclocking. Though I'm guessing since it's a GF4 PCI version, it's probably an MX, right? If that's the case, you *might* be able to get away with disconnecting the fan for a while, as they usually don't run very hot to begin with.

But who makes the card? Your best bet is to call up the company and see if they'll replace it (if it's made by BFG it shouldn't be a problem). But definatly do NOT remove the heatsync, that's just asking to fry the card.

Cotita
01-24-04, 06:54 PM
replacing the fan maybe a better idea

theedge
01-24-04, 08:47 PM
Its a Chaintech Geforce4 MX440 64MB PCI. I'll probably contact Chaintech about a replacement.

GlowStick
01-25-04, 12:06 AM
if you dont want to wait on chaintech you can just buy a repalcemnt sink/fan for about 10$

http://www.xoxide.com/vgacoolers.html

they have a nice selection, and btw go with the cheepist that fits, you dont need anything fancy for a pci gf4 mx.

anzak
01-25-04, 01:43 AM
I would replace it will a larger fan than it had before because the MX 440 can be overclocked to 460 levels easily.

saturnotaku
01-25-04, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by anzak
I would replace it will a larger fan than it had before because the MX 440 can be overclocked to 460 levels easily.

Yeah, but doing that would be akin to adding a performance exhaust system on a Geo Metro. It's just wouldn't be worth it.

theedge
01-25-04, 10:00 PM
How can I go about doing that?