PDA

View Full Version : Creating a home network with a router

Tuork
01-24-04, 11:18 PM
I've got a US Robotics router which I am using to share a cable conection between my computer and my parents'. It also works as a print server and has the printer hooked into it.

Is there any way to set it up in order to create a LAN between the two and share files?

Before I used to have an ordinary switch and had my parents' comp working as a gateway... which pretty much sucked seeing as I had to turn it on everytime I needed to use internet on mine.

Problem is now I can't access the other pc over the network, which I was using as a sort of secondary storage.

Any solutions/suggestions?

|JuiceZ|
01-25-04, 12:03 AM
Can you not hook a hub up into that router, enable dhcp and set the router as the gateway for both machines? What kinda router is it?

Tuork
01-25-04, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
Can you not hook a hub up into that router, enable dhcp and set the router as the gateway for both machines? What kinda router is it?

First: you're talking to a very ignorant person, aka noob. I have no idea what dhcp is...

Second: I'm not at home right now. I'll post the precise specs on the router once I'm home, and after I get some hours of sleep.

I was hoping I don't have to use a hub seeing as I0m currently broke, and owe some money to my brother, AND I want to buy a shinny new LG Flatron 17" monitor.:D