PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive not recognized

Lezmaka
01-24-04, 11:23 PM
I've got my new system all set up. Athlon XP 2100+/nForce2 400/1gig pc2100 from a P3 800/i815E/512 pc133.

I bought a 120gig new hard drive since my old 60gig was getting rather small. So, after I got everything going, I figured I'd add my old drive for some extra storage. But it's not recognizing the old drive in the bios at all, it takes quite a while to boot when it's hooked up, but it's not showing anything in the bios after it detects all the ide drives.

I've tried everything I can think of. As the only drive, as master on both primary/secondary channels, as slave on both pri/sec, cable select (all the jumpers set correctly for each try), but nothing. When I hook the drive up to my old system, it works fine.

I know switching to different chipsets can cause problems with Windows reading the drive, but never heard of a bios problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

|JuiceZ|
01-25-04, 12:00 AM
Did your new machine ever detect your 60gig b4 you bought the new hdd? There really shouldn't be any prob w/ bios detecting yer old hdd. You swap ide cables?

Tuork
01-25-04, 12:36 AM
(Not sure if this is relevant, or if has anything to do....)

Wouldn't the fack that it had a C: partition on it before generate some type of conflict?

Try using different IDE cables... I used to have a problem similar to this with a floppy drive.

The Baron
01-25-04, 12:37 AM
cable is almost certainly bad.

Lezmaka
01-25-04, 01:27 AM
I've tried 3 different cables and all 3 are able to read other drives and at least 1 of them works with the old drive on my old system.

PsychoSy
01-25-04, 01:50 AM
Some Maxtor drives require an extra jumper for configuring it with a Slave device. This extra jumper is not shipped with the drive so you'll have to find a spare jumper and consult your documentation. Considering my experiance with Maxtor drives, this documentation can be conflicting - I had a Maxtor drive that came with two seperate (and conflicting) peices of documentation on how to properly set the MASTER/SLAVE jumper termination. I didn't get it to work right until tossed the docs behind my shoulder and experimented. :)

Lezmaka
01-25-04, 04:20 AM
It's actually a Western Digital, but thanks though :)

Dazz
01-25-04, 04:44 AM
Have you got both of them on the same cable, if they both are set to master then the first one will be detected and the other will not be pickted up. You should have your new drive as Master and your second drive (old HD) as slave. This can also lead to long boot times as it detects both of them but can use them.