PDA

View Full Version : Cd rom and audigy 2 probs

renegade77
01-25-04, 05:04 PM
I have a cd rw drive that has a headset imput. Ive been tryin to get it to work but to no avail. could some help me properly set it up.l do i use the cd in on my audigy or the aux in or is it the s/pdif in?

GlowStick
01-25-04, 05:11 PM
Ok, i have never figured out what those ports really do, but if you want to hear sound here is the only way i know of how to make it work.

Put a music cd in the drive and then play it via a pritty standard music player, i belive windows media player works fine.

plug in the headphones, and then become confused and say to yoru self 'WTF'

jAkUp
01-25-04, 09:54 PM
you need to plug the audio connector from the soundcard, directly to your cd player.. thats the only way that front panel will work. Thats what those tiny little cables are for the cd drive... its for the front audio panel.

GlowStick
01-25-04, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
you need to plug the audio connector from the soundcard, directly to your cd player.. thats the only way that front panel will work. Thats what those tiny little cables are for the cd drive... its for the front audio panel. wHOA WHOA WHOA

Ok, in old machines reading a audio disk digitaly wasent really feasible, so the audio cable was really just a line in and the computer just played what the cdrom did, and it was also mirrord on the mic port.

but here is something i can do that i feel is werid, i do NOT have any audio cables hooked up to my cdrom, and hten i can play a music cd with windows media player then if i plug headphones in, i can hear it.

jAkUp
01-26-04, 01:14 AM
hmmm.. i dunno, i always thought the cable was for the front audio out, and for the skip track button:confused:

Dazz
01-26-04, 01:25 AM
You will need a CD player or use the play buttons (if any) on the CD Rom, Media player won't work due to it being digitaly decoded from your sound card.

saturnotaku
01-26-04, 07:34 AM
Don't your speakers have a headphone port? If so, why not just use that?

GlowStick
01-26-04, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
You will need a CD player or use the play buttons (if any) on the CD Rom, Media player won't work due to it being digitaly decoded from your sound card. Actually the computer im driving my experince from dosent even have a shound card. And there is no cable from the back of the cdrom to anything, just the ide and power.

But there is no 'play' button on the CD-Rom, just a next track, and it dose change the track if windows meda player is open (btw this is an old version of it, bacck in windows 95 days)

its allways baffled me.

threedaysdwn
01-26-04, 09:24 AM
Glowstick is correct. The four-pin CD-Audio cable on the back of the drive is pretty much useless these days. On older systems it would send an analog audio signal from the CD-ROM (which did the CD-Audio reading itself) to the soundcard. You would then have a "CD Audio" input listed in the volume control panel which would adjust the volume from that input.

On most modern systems running XP, CD-Audio is read digitally from the disc just like data, and converted to audio by the CPU/soundcard. You will notice that in this case, adjusting the "CD Audio" input will have no affect on CD playback volume in this case. Instead, it will respond to the "wave" volume control just like any other audio generated by the computer itself.

Most modern DVD drives also have a two-pin audio output. This is a digital S/PDIF output. I believe it may be used for DVD-Audio playback, but I haven't had time to try that since I just got my Audigy 2 very recently.
The S/PDIF is also used by some soundcards for AC3-passthrough. Though most DVD players will decode the AC3/Dolby Digital format without the S/PDIF connection nowadays.

Dazz
01-26-04, 12:34 PM
Yeah but media player uses digital music which decoded by the sound card, it doesn't need a audio cable of any kind connceted to the sound card.