PDA

View Full Version : GameCube Emulator released

Pages : [1] 2

vampireuk
01-25-04, 07:06 PM
http://www.dolphin-emu.com/

Yes that's right,

We've finally released what we've been working on in our spare time the last seven months. Dolphin is an experimental GameCube emulator that so far runs quite a few games somewhat, but most are pretty slow. Keep in mind that this release is just a preview, if it works good for you, if it doesn't please don't cry too much in the forum!

Have fun!

Recommended games to try (of course your own ripped GCMs of your legally bought discs):
Bust-a-Move 3000 (fully playable)
Crazy Taxi (slow, gfx glitches)
Zelda (slow, gfx glitches)
Mario (slow, gfx glitches)
18 Wheeler (slow, gfx glitches)
Ikaruga (slow, gfx glitches, crashes after four waves, but still cool)
and more..

:cool:

StealthHawk
01-25-04, 07:23 PM
How in the world do you rip GameCube discs?

Ninja Prime
01-25-04, 07:26 PM
Ummm I'd rather play them on my Gamecube than at 3fps and full of bugs and crap. I mean, its only $99.

vampireuk
01-25-04, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Prime
Ummm I'd rather play them on my Gamecube than at 3fps and full of bugs and crap. I mean, its only $99.

It's not about playing the games for free, its about the coders testing theirselves to make it work. Of course to some people its about playing games for free, but we ban those buggers on site:p

Ninja Prime
01-25-04, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
It's not about playing the games for free, its about the coders testing theirselves to make it work. Of course to some people its about playing games for free, but we ban those buggers on site:p

Yeah I suppose. I doubt they will be able to get it running fast and playable until around 2005(when hardware might be fast enough), as emulating PowerPC CPU on a x86 is sllloooowww and difficult. Not to mention all the custom crap Nintendo put in it. A lot of Gamecube games are designed to use Gamecubes SRAM's ultra-low latency in certain ways so that those games would be hard to re-do effectively on a PC design, so I'm told.

vampireuk
01-25-04, 07:57 PM
Well I have no idea how the damn things work, I just host the files:D

Edge
01-26-04, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk

The same way you rip Dreamcast discs: you let someone else do it for you ;)

jimbob0i0
01-26-04, 04:28 AM

Well ripping the discs and having a emu makes it a LOT easier to produce Action Replay hacks/codes :) (It's how I've been doing it on GB/GBA for years)..

Damn glad I bought PSO and the BB adaptor now.... it was enjoyable AND it gets 'replay' use ;)

vampireuk
01-26-04, 07:26 AM
The teaser has been updated to a new build, so its faster and more stable.

fivefeet8
01-26-04, 02:53 PM
It's not quite as slow on some systems. ;)

http://www2.ngemu.com/forums/showpost.php?p=676625&postcount=31
http://www2.ngemu.com/forums/showpost.php?p=676649&postcount=35
http://www2.ngemu.com/forums/showpost.php?p=676650&postcount=9

Bust a Move 3000 needs frame limiting. :D

Nutty
01-26-04, 04:44 PM
3fps in Super Smash Brothers Melee in game.. Amazing.. :rolleyes:
Only 20 times slower than the real thing then :cool:

vampireuk
01-27-04, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
3fps in Super Smash Brothers Melee in game.. Amazing.. :rolleyes:
Only 20 times slower than the real thing then :cool:

You were expecting full speed on its first ever release?:rolleyes: :p

InDirectX
01-27-04, 09:19 PM
Well it does run Bust a Move 3000 at more then full speed. It runs from 100-130 on my system at 640x480 at 1024x768 it slows down to about 70-90, so its quite playable. However it is just a puzzle game that is pretty simple. Regardless it is still an achievment.

System specs are as follows:

AthlonXP 2500+
Radeon 9800Pro
NF7-S
512meg DDR400 in DualChannel
120gig WD HDD w/8meg cache

The only downside is audio isnt implemented yet, but it will be in time I'm sure.

sytaylor
01-28-04, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk

I believe the broadband adapter allows you to do so, although in doing so you kill your warranty (in a similar way that installing linux on your xbox does).

vampireuk
01-28-04, 03:51 AM
You also require phantasy star online iirc, but thats enough talk about that :eek:

Edge
01-28-04, 04:26 AM
I thought PSO was only required to copy games TO the Gamecube? Just to educate everyone (don't worry mods, not saying how to do it), there's apperently an exploit you can use with PSO that allows you to "stream" a game over the broadband adaptor from your PC to your Gamecube using some program, which basicly lets you "pirate" those games. But it's buggy as hell and very slow, not to mention pointless because very few games work with it. I think ripping games is done in a different way, but I'm not sure how. Sure wish I knew how though, I have 3 Gamecube games but no Gamecube to play them on, I'd like to be able to at least try them :D

Nutty
01-28-04, 07:07 AM
You were expecting full speed on its first ever release?

I thought it had been going a while, I recall you posted something about it months ago.

I wouldn't expect full speed, but its not even anywhere near remotely playable speed for anything other than bustamove, which IIRC is just a couple of 2d sprites.

What annoys me is that the whole thing is basically to play pirate gamecube games. Call it an excercise that the programmers are doing all you want, but there are plenty of other excercises they could do, which wouldn't result in alot of ppl using the product to play pirate games.

de><ta
01-28-04, 07:12 AM
I spent 3 hours getting (hmm maybe I should use the word obtaining, since it is more ambigious) a Naruto game for the gamecube and it did not even run it.:(

The game is Japanese only so I am not sure if that is an issue.

EciDemon
01-28-04, 07:18 AM
This is cool, I just love emulators. It's nice to see some progress on emulators for the latest generation of consoles.

I actually orderd a gamecube bundled with metroid prime yesterday :D

Man I can't wait!

It struck me when i was browsing an online store for some GC games ... there's just too few good games out for the console :confused:

jimbob0i0
01-28-04, 07:34 AM
You also require phantasy star online iirc, but thats enough talk about that :eek:

Heh and to think I was trying to be subtle before :P

s for ripping from the gamecube... it is right to say you don't need PSO... just an exploit using DHCP (if it's still necissary - I haven't been keeping track on it recently....) and some particular software... can then access debug screens, view memory contents of game running, performs dumps etc etc...

I won't say anything more cause I like this forum and don't want to be banned.... is that above untelling enough Mr. Flibble?

BTW - how on earth does it void the warranty? There's no tell-tale signs left from the exploits unlike with the Xbox linux/HDD/Bond/etc hacks...

Ninja Prime
01-28-04, 12:30 PM
LOL, figures that Nintendo builds an un-pirateable super encrypted console and Sega comes along with some crappy software to ruin the whole thing. :rolleyes:

Must be revenge for putting them out of buisness lol.

vampireuk
01-28-04, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Prime
LOL, figures that Nintendo builds an un-pirateable super encrypted console and Sega comes along with some crappy software to ruin the whole thing. :rolleyes:

Must be revenge for putting them out of buisness lol.

:rofl

I thought it had been going a while, I recall you posted something about it months ago.

I wouldn't expect full speed, but its not even anywhere near remotely playable speed for anything other than bustamove, which IIRC is just a couple of 2d sprites.

I don't think you know how complicated emulation actually is, the project has been going on for about 7 months and what they have done so far is amazing in such a small ammount of time.

What annoys me is that the whole thing is basically to play pirate gamecube games. Call it an excercise that the programmers are doing all you want, but there are plenty of other excercises they could do, which wouldn't result in alot of ppl using the product to play pirate games

Perhaps but the authors viewed this as a challenge and wanted to try it.

Nutty
01-28-04, 03:25 PM
I don't think you know how complicated emulation actually is

Prolly not, never tried it. But I know the details of the gamecube hardware, and it doesn't seem very easy to recreate on PC hardware. Theres are abilities in the gpu that no PC graphics card accelerates. Not even the high-end cards AFAIK.

saturnotaku
01-28-04, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by EciDemon
It struck me when i was browsing an online store for some GC games ... there's just too few good games out for the console :confused:

That's because the GameCube imploded on the launch pad when it was released. It was a horrid launch. Supply far exceeded demand and people were buying less than two games per system (PS2 averaged about four at launch). There also are next to zero third party developers creating games for it. And exclusives? Fuhgetaboutit.

Even Nintendo has said their focus for the future is going to be concentrated on the Game Boy Advance, so even the mothership has given up on the GC. That's a shame too because there are some really damn fun games: Mario Golf, Double Dash and Monkey Ball immediately come to mind.

poursoul
01-28-04, 05:07 PM
Monkey Ball r0x0rZ yo m0mz s0x0rZ!!!

damn straight.