PDA

View Full Version : mx440-t8x help

dogmagts60
01-26-04, 01:02 AM
can a mx440-t8x able to have a fan. right now it only has a heatsink and i want to over clock it. if so can any fan go on it?

saturnotaku
01-26-04, 06:52 AM
A Thermaltake Crystal Orb should work. Most online cooling stores have them in stock (Coolerguys, 2cooltek, etc).

However, I'm going to use an analogy I used in another thread. Trying to overclock a card like a GeForce4 MX would be like putting a performance exhaust system on a Geo Metro. You're trying to soup up an already weak system, and any gains you see will be negligible at best.

dogmagts60
01-26-04, 09:57 AM
thanks for the fan name. Yeah i know its a weak card but all i can really afford right now. on putting the fan on do i take the heatsink off or keep the heatsink on. could you give me instructions on this thanks..

saturnotaku
01-26-04, 11:04 AM
The Crystal Orb is a self-contained heatsink and fan so you would need to remove whatever is on your card right now.

There should be a couple pins or screws holding it in place. Take those out. The existing heatsink is probably held on using thermal tape so carefully twist the heatsink to loosen it from the card. Use some Goo Gone to remove traces of thermal tape from the GPU and then use 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean the Goo Gone from the GPU. Let it dry, then use the thermal grease that is packaged with the Crystal Orb and apply a thin layer over the GPU. Put a dab in the center and use a credit card to smooth it over the entire GPU. Place the Crystal Orb over the GPU so the screw holes are lined up with the ones on the card. Put the screws/pins back in and you're done.

Some Web sites should have pictured documentation if you need further info. Google is your friend in that case.

dogmagts60
01-26-04, 11:19 AM
Thanks alot for the help