PDA

View Full Version : First ever Halo 2 MP screenshot.

RAY16
01-30-04, 06:57 PM
Not PC related since Bungie insists that Halo 2 will not come out on PC (please force them to M$), but looks pretty damn sexy if you ask me. Well, considering it's on a console with 64Megs of shared memory, a 733Mhz Celeron, and a GeForce 3 1/2.

http://www.bungie.net/images/site/halo/screenshots/halo2/h2_mp_01.jpg

Ninja Prime
01-30-04, 07:22 PM
.... Looks kinda low poly and low texture quality to me, but maybe Unreal 2 and XMP have spoiled me.

stncttr908
01-30-04, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Prime
.... Looks kinda low poly and low texture quality to me, but maybe Unreal 2 and XMP have spoiled me. I remember hearing that Halo 2's character models actually had lower poly counts than the first game, but this was due to the new shading and lighting effects that were being implemented. Looks good for a game being run on 2 1/2 year old tech to me.

The Baron
01-30-04, 07:31 PM
Get some offset mapping in there, stat. :)

Viral
01-30-04, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by RAY16
Not PC related since Bungie insists that Halo 2 will not come out on PC (please force them to M$), but looks pretty damn sexy if you ask me. Well, considering it's on a console with 64Megs of shared memory, a 733Mhz Celeron, and a GeForce 3 1/2.

That's a dev screenshot, it is not in 640x480 and has pro FSAA so you can bet it's not anything like it will look on the xbox.

Also, i think MS are the ones making it xbox exclusive.. why would they tell bungie to release it on PC? i think it's more the other way around:p

RAY16
01-30-04, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Viral
That's a dev screenshot, it is not in 640x480 and has pro FSAA so you can bet it's not anything like it will look on the xbox.

Also, i think MS are the ones making it xbox exclusive.. why would they tell bungie to release it on PC? i think it's more the other way around:p

It's the same textures and models, so it will look the same just with jaggies.

I would think M$ would want to make as much money as possible by releasing it on PC and Xbox, being the greedy bastards they are.

Raptorman
01-30-04, 09:32 PM
They'll probably do the same as before: Release on the XBOX, and release on the PC a year later. So that way people *MIGHT* buy an XBOX just for HALO 2.

But then again it doesn't matter to me as I have an XBOX, and am growing impatient for HALO 2.

Edge
01-31-04, 11:25 AM

It will run at lower resolution and without AA (unless it supports HDTV, which I doubt), but the graphics themselves will probably be exactly the same. I don't think resolution should be factored into how "good" a game looks. Playing Quake 3 at 1600x1200 is a hell of a lot less impressive than Doom 3 at 640x480.

Anyway, it actually looks pretty good. It does have a bit of the "plastic doll" effect I've been seeing lately in games that use heavy bump-mapping, but it still seems to match up pretty well with upcoming PC shooters. Hopefully the indoor shadow system will match up to games like Splinter Cell and Doom 3. Amazing what you can pump out of 2.5 year old technology.

Now I just hope it will support more than 16 players online (16 players would probably be fine, but hey, the more the marrier).

jedah
02-02-04, 03:51 AM
Halo is the best FPS released the last 3 years and one of the best games of all time if you ask me.Bungie made a game that is more " epic adventure with shooting in a believable and coherent world " than a standard FPS.I believe Halo 2 will be that great too,if not better.BUT the screens released during development is nothing like the real game.Most of the time videogames are designed in hi-res and downgrade to low-res because they have be playable by host hardware. In the case of Xbox don't you ever expect anything like 1600 x 1200 resolution for in-game.Especially a console game must have a constant and steady framerate even if it is low (30 fps)comparing to PC standard.The original Halo ran at 30 fps and it was mindsblowing.What I expect from the game is some optimized code for effects like lighting,shadows,shading etc.From what I've read in a very serious magazine Bungie found a way to lower polycount without taking any of the detail away,using special effects.Not matter what I only hope is for a Halo 2 PC version and the same epic experience.

Riptide
02-06-04, 12:51 AM
Halo 2 is officially xbox only? :(

When did they issue a statement to that effect?

sytaylor
02-06-04, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by stncttr908
I remember hearing that Halo 2's character models actually had lower poly counts than the first game, but this was due to the new shading and lighting effects that were being implemented. Looks good for a game being run on 2 1/2 year old tech to me.

Proof if ever it was needed that PC's of today don't hit their potential because of their sheer variance.. Direct X etc are good standards but i'd like to see the whole architecture standardised.. so we could perfect it then find a new one.. etc

Viral
02-06-04, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Edge
It will run at lower resolution and without AA (unless it supports HDTV, which I doubt), but the graphics themselves will probably be exactly the same. I don't think resolution should be factored into how "good" a game looks. Playing Quake 3 at 1600x1200 is a hell of a lot less impressive than Doom 3 at 640x480.

Anyway, it actually looks pretty good. It does have a bit of the "plastic doll" effect I've been seeing lately in games that use heavy bump-mapping, but it still seems to match up pretty well with upcoming PC shooters. Hopefully the indoor shadow system will match up to games like Splinter Cell and Doom 3. Amazing what you can pump out of 2.5 year old technology.

Now I just hope it will support more than 16 players online (16 players would probably be fine, but hey, the more the marrier).

I partially agree.. but you cannot deny that higher resolution makes a game look alot more detailed. It's just a simple matter of the the amount of pixels something is made up of. Of course on TV not much can be done(cept with HDTV, but i think they will be pushing it running H2 fine on xbox as is).

On a(my) monitor resolution matters alot.. i would rather play a game with 1280x960 with no aa than 800x600 with 4xAA, the jaggies aren't the only problem.. more resolution means more detail in any language. And personally(as i said on my monitor) i try to avoid anything below 1152x864.. maybe its just because it's my desktop resolution, but i really notice a scanline effect in any res below this.

Anyway.. a distant object is made up of say, 50pixels at a distance, at twice the res, it's made up of 100pixels, this is where higher res really starts meaning more than just reduced jaggies. It's all about detail.. i'm sure you know this.. but anyway.

Vash
02-06-04, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Halo 2 is officially xbox only? :(

When did they issue a statement to that effect?

Bungie's been pretty up-front about that. Matt Soell has said it won't come for the PC several times before he left Bungie for greener pastures. They might change their minds and have someone else do the development, but we'd have to see about that one. Microsoft may decide it wants to port it, and hand it off to someone (hopefully Gearbox, who at this point has experience w/porting Halo). I hope it does make it; I'd love to not have to buy an Xbox.

Riptide
02-06-04, 09:46 AM
Damn, that *really* sucks for me because I refuse to buy an xbox yet I loved the first game. It was the best singe player FPS for me in years. Unreal 2's graphics were better but Halo had a better story and ofcourse vehicles. :)

I even read the damn books! Looks like I'm screwed then, barring a miracle. :mad:

Oh well, I guess I can just read the book after the game comes out and hopefully it'll be reasonable like the first one was (FoR).

Damn MS and their marketing trix. There is obviously a market for a port when the first game was on the top 10 list for a while.

DrFx
02-08-04, 07:56 AM
I partially agree.. but you cannot deny that higher resolution makes a game look alot more detailed. It's just a simple matter of the the amount of pixels something is made up of. Of course on TV not much can be done(cept with HDTV, but i think they will be pushing it running H2 fine on xbox as is).

On a(my) monitor resolution matters alot.. i would rather play a game with 1280x960 with no aa than 800x600 with 4xAA, the jaggies aren't the only problem.. more resolution means more detail in any language. And personally(as i said on my monitor) i try to avoid anything below 1152x864.. maybe its just because it's my desktop resolution, but i really notice a scanline effect in any res below this.

Anyway.. a distant object is made up of say, 50pixels at a distance, at twice the res, it's made up of 100pixels, this is where higher res really starts meaning more than just reduced jaggies. It's all about detail.. i'm sure you know this.. but anyway.

So true :)

All console games looks like **** and this do to...When i first saw Halo in a store for the Xbox I started laugthing out loud the ****ing game looks no better the a 5 year old Pc game so ugly ****ty textures and 2 polygons heheh...

Halo 2 looks even worse mayby would impressed my 10 years ago but now hehe who are they kidding...But the MORONS who will game it heh must be really retarded ****s!!! :eek:

Saint Lucifer
02-08-04, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by DrFx
Halo 2 looks even worse mayby would impressed my 10 years ago but now hehe who are they kidding...But the MORONS who will game it heh must be really retarded ****s!!! :eek:
I don't know about you, but about 10 years ago, I was playing Doom...

theultimo
02-08-04, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Saint Lucifer

Heh, I was playing Doom II :p

Razor04
02-08-04, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by RAY16
Can someone explain to me how the XBOX was able to render a 1600x1200 image and also apply AA? That image is just a press render...if anyone thinks the game will look that good on a TV they are kidding themselves. I am not saying it will look crappy but that pic is misleading.

EDIT: woops...didn't see this has already been discussed...move on nothing to see here :)

Edge
02-08-04, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Saint Lucifer

10 years ago, DrFX was still in the womb :D

UDawg
02-08-04, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
Damn, that *really* sucks for me because I refuse to buy an xbox yet I loved the first game. It was the best singe player FPS for me in years. Unreal 2's graphics were better but Halo had a better story and ofcourse vehicles. :)

I even read the damn books! Looks like I'm screwed then, barring a miracle. :mad:

Oh well, I guess I can just read the book after the game comes out and hopefully it'll be reasonable like the first one was (FoR).

Damn MS and their marketing trix. There is obviously a market for a port when the first game was on the top 10 list for a while.

Rent a xbox for a week. I don't have an xbox anymore but I plant to rent one and pay Halo2.

UDawg
02-08-04, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by DrFx
So true :)

All console games looks like **** and this do to...When i first saw Halo in a store for the Xbox I started laugthing out loud the ****ing game looks no better the a 5 year old Pc game so ugly ****ty textures and 2 polygons heheh...

Is it your aim to get evey thread you post in locked? :rolleyes:

Ninja Prime
02-09-04, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by UDawg
Is it your aim to get evey thread you post in locked? :rolleyes:

I think his aim is to win the King of all MorAns award, at least thats what I'm getting from his posts...;)

theultimo
02-10-04, 12:00 AM
At least he isn't arguing with himself :)

Edge
02-10-04, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by theultimo
At least he isn't arguing with himself :)

YET ;)