PDA

View Full Version : XDR Memory Rambus is back

-=DVS=-
02-05-04, 03:53 AM
Looks very interesting (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13959)

If XDR DRAM is so fast might be a big miracle for crappy Prescott ;)

THE GUYS AT Rambus say they'll be showing off what's claimed to be the fastest memory on the planet at this month's Intel Developer Forum.
Rambus said it will show off a Toshiba 512 megabit DRAM which flies along at 3.2GHz.

The firm also said Samsung will show off its XDR DRAM for the first time at the show.

The memory type uses the XDR interface and the firm will claim that it offers eight times the bandwidth of the fastest PC memory currently available.

According to Rambus, mainstream DRAMs have problems delivering 1GHz+ data rates needed for high capacity memory, and use single ended signalling and multiple DRAM loads per data pin. That, it claims, limit maximum data rates to less than 1GHz.

Dazz
02-05-04, 02:19 PM
Rambus can go kiss my white ass.

Soylent
02-06-04, 10:58 AM
Bah, I'm much more excited about MRAM.

Viral
02-06-04, 06:28 PM
"limit maximum data rates to less than 1GHz."

Oh, ic, so Ghz is all that matters.. good one rambus:thumbsup:

Their 3.2GHz XDR at 16bits will deliver 6.4GB/s, while that is impressive, it is equal to a DC DDR400 setup. Sure if comparing apples to apples it's twice as fast, which is nice.. but eight? uh where did you get that from rambus? and the fastest competing solution is 550MHz -> 4.4GB/s, now your supposed '8x the bandwidth memory' really only has 45% more than competition.

Oh wait, GHz means all..so they got their figure by divinding their super 3200MHz by 400MHz. But wait a minute.. 400Mhz is by no means "the fastest PC memory currently available", we all know that DDR550 is. Are rambus even aware of their competition?:confused: Do they even know 8 times the frequency doesnt mean 8 times the performance if the bus width is 1/4th that of the competing solution? or have they finally fooled themselves into thinking frequency is all that matters?:rolleyes:

This memory will be fast, DDRII800 fast, but i get pissed off when they are just plain wrong with their crappy marketing of spewed incorrectness while ignoring what they are really up against all together.

Soylent
02-08-04, 10:56 AM
Don't forget that latency can be a much bigger issue than bandwidth. Rdram used to have rather high latency and possibly still do, in which case they have no claim on fastest memory.

Dazz
02-08-04, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Viral
"limit maximum data rates to less than 1GHz."

Oh, ic, so Ghz is all that matters.. good one rambus:thumbsup:

Their 3.2GHz XDR at 16bits will deliver 6.4GB/s, while that is impressive, it is equal to a DC DDR400 setup. Sure if comparing apples to apples it's twice as fast, which is nice.. but eight? uh where did you get that from rambus? and the fastest competing solution is 550MHz -> 4.4GB/s, now your supposed '8x the bandwidth memory' really only has 45% more than competition.

Oh wait, GHz means all..so they got their figure by divinding their super 3200MHz by 400MHz. But wait a minute.. 400Mhz is by no means "the fastest PC memory currently available", we all know that DDR550 is. Are rambus even aware of their competition?:confused: Do they even know 8 times the frequency doesnt mean 8 times the performance if the bus width is 1/4th that of the competing solution? or have they finally fooled themselves into thinking frequency is all that matters?:rolleyes:

This memory will be fast, DDRII800 fast, but i get pissed off when they are just plain wrong with their crappy marketing of spewed incorrectness while ignoring what they are really up against all together. It's called PR trash.

Also last i saw RDRAM used 40ns memory for 1066Mhz.

{Sniping}Waste
02-10-04, 03:35 PM
XDR ram is from Micron and Micron is sueing Rambus now about it.

S.I.N
02-10-04, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
It's called PR trash.

Also last i saw RDRAM used 40ns memory for 1066Mhz.

Actually you can also get them with 35ns.