PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking tab in nVidia-settings invisable in WinXP ?!?!?

MheAd
02-05-04, 03:39 PM
Hi!

I've just switched to Windows XP Pro, Corporate edition (SP1 integrated).
As soon as I installed my GF5900SPVTD graph. card drivers, I instantly discovered that overclocking feature, which is included in the driver, doesn't exist !!!

This worked with no problems whatsoever when I used Win98SE, but in Windows XP, this option simply doesn't exist in the driver. I'm sticking to 52.12 version of WinXP driver, but I even installed newer versions only to check if this utility was included there - same result.

What's wrong with this picture?
Is this a WinXP related bug, or is this overclocking feature simply not included yet in WinXP/2k versions of nVidia drivers?

Any kind of feedback is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
MheAd\

The Baron
02-05-04, 03:44 PM
what, coolbits?

copy/paste this into a file named coolbits.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"Coolbits"=dword:00000003

then double click the file, reboot, and voila, you have overclocking.

MheAd
02-05-04, 03:47 PM
Why is everybody, at any place I ask this question, asking me about "Coolbits" (whatever that is)?

In couple of recent Win98 versions of nVidia drivers, there was this built-in feature in nVidia settings, where you could setup clock-speed easily. With other words, to be able to overclock your graph. card, you didn't need any additional overclocking-utility to do this. You did it in your nVidia settings instead (where you set up AA, AF, and similar things).

That's why I'm wondering where is this feature in WinXP-version of the driver (is there any?) ?

The Baron
02-05-04, 03:53 PM
coolbits IS the overclocking utility. that's just what it's called for whatever reason. if you run that reg file to enable coolbits, there will be a new section in the NV drivers called "Clock Frequencies."

Cotita
02-05-04, 04:27 PM
Since nvidia doesn't make whql drivers for win9x anymore, they can leave coolbits enabled.

Microsoft doesn't approve drivers for whql if they have overclocking options enabled.

Therefore nvidia implements the feature but its hidden. You need "coolbits" to enable it.

In the end its not really nvidia's fault, they just have to comply with MS policy.

LinuxHatesMe
03-01-04, 10:09 AM
Anyone have the coolbits entry that allows you to alter the agp rate also?

saturnotaku
03-01-04, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by LinuxHatesMe

The forum search function is your friend.

Morrow
03-01-04, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by LinuxHatesMe

try this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"Coolbits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplAllowForceTVDetection"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableClearViewPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL\Debug]
"ShaderObjects"=dword:00000001
"WriteProgramObjectAssembly"=dword:00000000