PDA

View Full Version : Floppy disk drives.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-01-02, 11:48 PM
I've tried out like five and none of them work! bah! what is the best and most reliably floppy disk drive around? lol, man, I wouldn't even need a floppy disk if I could burn windows xp rescue CDs.

ss1
10-02-02, 11:05 AM
Sony I think. Well mine has lasted me for at 3 years thus far...

ss1.

saturnotaku
10-02-02, 11:16 AM
I know this is going to sound dumb, but did you make sure the floppy cable wasn't upside down when you were checking? I bought a Panasonic (I think) floppy like 1.5 years ago and it's still working fine.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-02-02, 11:30 AM
Yep, I checked both ways on every one.

saturnotaku
10-02-02, 12:17 PM
I figured you probably did, but it never hurts to ask. :)

Have you tried different cables? Or have you tried the drives on a different motherboard?

LORD-eX-Bu
10-02-02, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I figured you probably did, but it never hurts to ask. :)

Have you tried different cables? Or have you tried the drives on a different motherboard?

Yep, different cables, different boards, I bought new rounded floppy cables and still nothin.

thcdru2k
10-02-02, 08:00 PM
i just get the cheapest one from newegg, and they work perfectly.

floppy drives tend to mess up when the connection is put in wrong, and the computer is booted to the point where it spins. just make sure the first time before you boot, the floppy is perfectly connected. its kinda sensitive.

Gator
10-03-02, 07:32 AM
ya, I've been using the same floppy drive since my 386sx-20 computer and it works fine in this rig. I agree with thcdru2k, buy a brand new floppy and and triple check that before you switch the pc on that it's hooked up properly. Otherwise it might fry something :(

Teac I beleive is regarded as the finest floppy drive brand, because it always cost about $2 more than Sony brand, but again even generic made floppy drives should work okay.

Other possibilities: you say you tried different cable, different motherboards, different floppy drives... is there a possibility there is a problem with your power supply? Or perhaps JUST the cable going from the PSU to the floppy drive? Maybe it's providing too little or too much power and it's frying the drive.

Starscream
10-03-02, 09:02 AM
Floppies and floppy drives from my experience are very unreliable. I've got a stack of 7 or 8 drives here that don't write to any disks properly. I've also got a massive number of floppy discs that don't work in any drives properly.

Bah! I say to the floppy. I just use cdrw's now.

thcdru2k
10-03-02, 09:07 AM
floppy is only good for homework, and now computers at schools finally use cds so you can just burn your homework now aday. gone with the floppy!

Gator
10-03-02, 09:58 AM
there is one other option but it's kinda dumb... get an external floppy drive it might work better for you. Or maybe even an LS120 exteranl floppy drive, so at least you can store a lot of data on it. But ya, CDRW might be better as a last resort.

If you're interested though, here some links:

USB External 1.44meg Floppy Drive for $32us
http://www.wiredzone.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=&ic=50011225&tpc=

of if you'd prefer a retail store, Compusa sells them for $50us
http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?id=113&category_id=113&srch_type=catg2#rslts

I couldn't find any external LS120 drives for PC USB for some reason, sorry