PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 64bit 1 year Trial

shim
02-05-04, 05:50 PM
For all you AMD fans that own an Athlon64 or Opteron processor you can now get a 1 year trail of Windows XP 64 Bit edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/d...ads/upgrade.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp)

Important: Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems is only compatible with 64-bit AMD Opteron– or Athlon 64-based computers. It cannot be successfully installed on 64-bit Intel Itanium–based systems.

sxotty
02-06-04, 07:48 AM
What I want to know is it a one year trial from when you install it, or from when you download it?

Cause I don't yet have an athlon 64 but I shall.... oh yes I shall *rubs hands to gether* mwwuuuuhahahha

|JuiceZ|
02-07-04, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by sxotty
[B]What I want to know is it a one year trial from when you install it, or from when you download it?

It begins once you install it.

I d/led it for the heck of it. Hopefully I'll have a use for it in the coming months.....*cough* socket 939 *cough* :D

UDawg
02-07-04, 08:31 PM
What is the difference between the current winxp and winxp64? Is it just optomized for 64bit processors?

Viral
02-07-04, 09:15 PM
It's 64-bit:p

It also has afew 64-bit programs, IExplorer 64-bit is the only one i can confirm however. But it is more than you think.. it has a function called Windows on Windows which converts 32-bit code into 64-bit. Supposedly this does not create a performance hit due to the benefits of executing 64-bit code nulling the time wasted in conversion.

So 32-bit programs should run just like they do in XP.. but you will need 64-bit drivers for all your hardware, so there still is some effort when going 64-bit. Though it's alot easier than moving to 64-bit on any system in the past thats for sure.

renegade77
02-07-04, 09:30 PM
Guys let me know how ur system performs under 64-bit , so ill know if jumpin to the athlon 64 is worth it or not, thanx in advance.

Viral
02-08-04, 01:41 AM
Until 64-bit software comes out no one will be able to tell you how it really performs under a 64-bit environment.

But what you do know is that they perform well under 32-bit and currently are worth it for that alone.

Still, if 64-bit does bring a decent performance bonus it will just sweeten the deal. I sure hope it does as it is starting to look like as A64's scale, their Performance Ratings will overshoot prescott GHz even in a 32-bit environment.