PDA

View Full Version : 5900xt->9800xt..

DMA
02-05-04, 09:41 PM
..at least in UT2003.

Ok, so i was bored today and got me a FX 5900XT (Gainward). The first NV card i've bought since Ti4200 btw.
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this card, but i wanted to try one out after reading/discussing about NV3x for so long. :)
All i really play, and have played the last 14 months is UT2003, and so far i've only played it on Radeons, i think i've had them all actually.

I must say i'm pretty impressed with the 5900XT (OC'd to 440/850). Sure, the AA isn't really top notch, but better than i expected. The anisotropic filtering on the other hand looks better on the FX5900.
Very sharp and sweet. :p

A few other things that made the NV card better in this game:

-No fps drops in "smoky areas", even my 9800XT takes a huge performance hit when theres smoke. (Like on the lovely DM-Compressed )

-Smoother gameplay. Dunno how to explain it, but it feels "softer". Probably because the fps is more stable, i'm not sure.

-The game looks more colorful and not so washed out.

Thats it i guess. Who would have thought this? Guess i wasted a whole year playing this game with the wrong cards huh? (omg)
Now i'm gonna kick even more butt. :rw:

And before you say i'm just imagining things, i'm not. I've played this darn game more than most people, so i'm pretty sure about this. ;)

What to do then? I think i'll build me another puter to use for UT gaming only. :lol:

Smokey
02-05-04, 10:43 PM
Good feedback, I myself had believed that the FX line of cards were really bad, and now that Ive got one, I can see first hand that they arent that bad at all, infact Im loving my 5900XT alot. I will be first to say, that the AA isnt that great, but it is still very nice at 4x @1280*1024, and playable :) and I cannot fault the AF, its very nice. Like you, I have only been playing one game for the past year, RavenShiled, and I can play it at the settings I want, and have great smooth gameplay.

jAkUp
02-05-04, 11:41 PM
I dunno.. I went from a 5900 to a 9800 Pro, and I feel it was the complete opposite of your findings. I thought the colors looked better on the ATI, and seemed overall smoother... I dunno, maybe Forceware drivers have improved alot since then.

GravY
02-06-04, 12:29 AM
I noticed way back when I had an ATI 8500, I was getting good FPS sure, but when compared to the GF4 Ti4200 I got afterwards I noticed the Nvidia was much smoother even tho it fell behind a few fps here and there..

Speed ahead to today, I find my 5900 is alot smoother than the 9500/9700 I had prior, also compared to a friend of mine and his 9800..

but all said, both card manufacturer's have great products.. which ever you own you will be happy..

marqmajere
02-06-04, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by GravY
but all said, both card manufacturer's have great products.. which ever you own you will be happy..

Quote of the year. :)

GravY
02-06-04, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by marqmajere
Quote of the year. :)

I try :D

nForceMan
02-06-04, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by DMA
The anisotropic filtering on the other hand looks better on the FX5900.
Very sharp and sweet. :pOf course. It looks better because it IS (http://www.3dcenter.de/artikel/2003/11-21_a_english.php) better!

Bring it on, dude! :D

bkswaney
02-06-04, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
I dunno.. I went from a 5900 to a 9800 Pro, and I feel it was the complete opposite of your findings. I thought the colors looked better on the ATI, and seemed overall smoother... I dunno, maybe Forceware drivers have improved alot since then.

I must agree with you.
I went from a 5900U to my 9800 now and wow. :D
I just have switched. I hads the newest nv drivers. " no change"

DMA
02-06-04, 01:33 PM
UT2003 is the only game i've tried so far, so i can't comment on any other games. But i think i'll be more careful before making funny comments about FX5900 from now on. ;)

Why i made this thread is just because i was so surprised about the performance of this card. I mean, after all the flaming and negative things i've read about NV3x, i wasn't expecting much, thats for sure.
I guess the best thing is to buy both cards and just try them out yourself and just keep the one you like best. But unfortunately thats a pretty expensive way. :D

I can't believe i've even recommended people getting a 9600 Pro/XT instead of a FX5900XT. I still have my old Hercules 9600 Pro (overclocks to 535/355) and well..lets just say i was wrong when i told people to go with 9600XT.
But thats what happens when you believe everything that people write in forums i guess. :cool:

jAkUp
02-06-04, 02:09 PM
Too bad the NV3X PS 2.0 scores still sucks

GravY
02-06-04, 02:14 PM

for what 5900's can be had for now, and then the option to flash teh bios and turn it into a 5950u.. does it really suck that bad???

don't think so..

nForceMan
02-06-04, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by DMA
after all the flaming and negative things i've read about NV3x, i wasn't expecting much, thats for sure.
Well well. You shouldn't have believed that loads of :bs: coming from FANatiCS about NV3x. Fortunately you can see the truth now with your own eyes.

Smokey
02-06-04, 03:02 PM

What games out today, what am I really missing? I am not saying for one minute that the 9800 cards are worse than the 5900 cards, but as DMA said, I wanst expecting a card as good as I have because of all I had read, but having the accual card, I can see that this is indeed a fine card, and we all knew before hand that PS2.0 wasnt as fast as ATI. But keep in mind that there will not be alot of games really pushing PS2.0 for sometime, there will be a few, but not alot.

anzak
02-06-04, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by DMA

-Smoother gameplay. Dunno how to explain it, but it feels "softer". Probably because the fps is more stable, i'm not sure.

To get a real time read out of your FPS in UT2003 open up the command line (` key) then type stat fps . I love Unreal Tournament 2003, im a mapper (Unreal ed 3), coder (Unreal Script), and Modeler (Maya 5). If you have a question on Anything in UT2003 just PM me.

john19055
02-06-04, 07:46 PM
But it has always been that way,some games look and run better on Nvidia cards,and other games look better and run better on ATI cards,but IMO most games look better and run better on the R9800pro.

Hellbinder
02-06-04, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by DMA
..at least in UT2003.

Ok, so i was bored today and got me a FX 5900XT (Gainward). The first NV card i've bought since Ti4200 btw.
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this card, but i wanted to try one out after reading/discussing about NV3x for so long. :)
All i really play, and have played the last 14 months is UT2003, and so far i've only played it on Radeons, i think i've had them all actually.

I must say i'm pretty impressed with the 5900XT (OC'd to 440/850). Sure, the AA isn't really top notch, but better than i expected. The anisotropic filtering on the other hand looks better on the FX5900.
Very sharp and sweet. :p

A few other things that made the NV card better in this game:

-No fps drops in "smoky areas", even my 9800XT takes a huge performance hit when theres smoke. (Like on the lovely DM-Compressed )

-The game looks more colorful and not so washed out.

Thats it i guess. Who would have thought this? Guess i wasted a whole year playing this game with the wrong cards huh? (omg)

And before you say i'm just imagining things, i'm not. I've played this darn game more than most people, so i'm pretty sure about this. ;)

What to do then? I think i'll build me another puter to use for UT gaming only. :lol:
Sain that you are "imagining things" would be a very nice way of putting it..

Personally i think, and i think it can be easily proven that you are smoking something past Crack.

Hellbinder
02-06-04, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by nForceMan
Well well. You shouldn't have believed that loads of :bs: coming from FANatiCS about NV3x. Fortunately you can see the truth now with your own eyes.
Actually thats the BS right there. I have ben playing with a FX card for the last 3 weeks and i can say without a doubt that their IQ and consistency of FPS is not on on the same level as the ATi products i am using. I am now working for a new Technical services company and we have been playing around with various cards for a couple weeks now and all 4 of my partners are totally Sold on ATI. It takes one afternoon of seeing them side by side to see the difference.

I personally really dont care if i am considered a Fanatic anymore just becuase I have *Eyes* and the ability to reason out what i am seeing.

Example.. If Smoke is not getting a FPS drop on the Nvidia card its likey becuase its being hacked somehow in the drivers. Its that simple. Its also likely on a map by map basis.

Having said that I am not against Nvidia hardware itself. I put a system together for a client today with an Nvidia card in it because It made sense for what they wanted. Its just that *Currently* i cant see any reason to get an Nvidia card for Gaming.

The same was not True in the height of the GF2, GF3, or GF4 days and i dowbt it will be true forever. There could be some real parity in the next go round.

Malfunction
02-06-04, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Sain that you are "imagining things" would be a very nice way of putting it..

Personally i think, and i think it can be easily proven that you are smoking something past Crack.

Don't you have something more important to do, like get on Catalyst Makers ass for all the crappy drivers ATi is releasing these days? Where are them 64bit drivers? The 64bit Windows OS is there, but now no support from ATi on that department now. Tell ya, if the future was promising with ATi for 2004, they have done quite a bit to kill the enthusiasm. I could have sworn you said you were on the beta driver team. Apparently that doesn't mean much after all now does it?

Peace,

:afro:

Hellbinder
02-06-04, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Malfunction
Don't you have something more important to do, like get on Catalyst Makers ass for all the crappy drivers ATi is releasing these days? Where are them 64bit drivers? The 64bit Windows OS is there, but now no support from ATi on that department now. Tell ya, if the future was promising with ATi for 2004, they have done quite a bit to kill the enthusiasm. I could have sworn you said you were on the beta driver team. Apparently that doesn't mean much after all now does it?

Peace,

Interesting... Nice try there sparky... there is nothing wrong with the drivers as a whole and you know it. This is actually getting rather Boring from you people... *yaaaaawwwwwwn*... Why dont you take a gander at the plethera of *honest* Nvidia card reviews and the driver issues they had, have and will have.....

AS for the 64bit issue. Do tell where exactly can you BUY the 64bit version of Windows?? do tell. The Drivers are being beta tested and worked on. Where are Nvidias 64bit drivers???

I'll give you guys one thing.. at least your predictable ;)

The Baron
02-06-04, 11:51 PM
NVIDIA has 64-bit drivers up, silly goose. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_52.14)

Malfunction
02-06-04, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
NVIDIA has 64-bit drivers up, silly goose. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_52.14)

Thank you Baron, I couldn't type fast enough. Also, Hewlett Packard came out with the nVidia Detonator 50.21 for WinXP 64Bit quite a while back if I recall. These problems Hellbinder is not aware of is absolutely rediculous.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23762&pagenumber=6

Honestly though Hellbinder, what gives. At first I had a difficult time not recommending ATi products, and lately it has become that much easier.

Peace,

The Baron
02-06-04, 11:59 PM
okay, oh noes, we don't need another fanboy war.