PDA

View Full Version : GeForce cards from different manufacturers - is there a difference?

Stranger34
02-06-04, 06:40 AM
I just bought a GeForce FX 5700 card from MSI, and am not convinced about the performance. I see there is a Gainward 5700 Ultra card at a similar (slightly lower) price. Is there really much difference in performance between different manufacturers? I'd hate to think I'd been sold a dud.

Stranger

Rytr
02-06-04, 07:02 AM
Ultra cards are clocked higher and use DDRII ram as opposed to DDRI found on the non-ultras.
HSF solutions vary amoung different mfgs and ram can be different, especially on lower end cards.
The FX5700Ultra should be priced higher than a FX5700nu as the ram used is more expensive and probably has a more elaborate cooling solution.

Chalnoth
02-06-04, 08:05 AM
Between different manufacturers the difference has traditionally been in 2D image quality, with performance being essentially identical.

Richteralan
02-06-04, 10:23 AM
Different manufacturer means different image quality and performance.

I like Albatron teh best. They make solid card with good PCB board and heatsink.

anzak
02-06-04, 10:47 AM
Some manufacturers underclock or overclock there cards from Nvidia or ATI's reference design which will lead to a difference in performance.

Chalnoth
02-06-04, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by anzak
Some manufacturers underclock or overclock there cards from Nvidia or ATI's reference design which will lead to a difference in performance.
That's not that often. Usually it's 1-3 models out of a dozen or so that are available that have different clockspeeds from the norm.

stncttr908
02-06-04, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Chalnoth
That's not that often. Usually it's 1-3 models out of a dozen or so that are available that have different clockspeeds from the norm. I've never seen a company underclock their cards from stock speeds. That would be a terrible marketing blunder right off the bat.

GlowStick
02-06-04, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
I've never seen a company underclock their cards from stock speeds. That would be a terrible marketing blunder right off the bat. I rember Powercolor usto do it, but they turned it into a value line or something. Now they dont.

anzak
02-07-04, 01:54 AM
I've never seen a company underclock their cards from stock speeds. That would be a terrible marketing blunder right off the bat.

PNY does with there FX 5200 cards. The 6ns memory is a lot cheaper but it only clocks to 300mhz and Nvidias reference is 400mhz 5ns memory. The best 5200's I have found were the Prolink card (300/450) and the Mad Dog Multimedia (250/450), both of these cards use the 4ns memory which clocks much higher (525 I think).

theultimo
02-07-04, 04:54 PM
I've never seen a company underclock their cards from stock speeds. That would be a terrible marketing blunder right off the bat.

Toshiba Sattlitte Geforce FX Go 5200...30% underclocked.

Stranger34
02-10-04, 11:56 AM
thanks everyone..........comments much appreciated!

Stranger