PDA

View Full Version : ATI tv wonder pro quality

sxotty
02-06-04, 08:44 AM
Well I am thinking of transferring some of my VHS tapes to DVD, and I was thinking of getting a tv wonder card do record them, I was wondering if any of you have one and what kind of quality it has.

I know there may be other brands, but I also did want to get a remote wonder, and since they come together for <$100 I thought it would not be a bad deal...

Anyway any opinions would be welcome.

p.s. I wanted a remote wonder b/c it is RF, not IR, I don't want some other card with an IR remote ...

Malfunction
02-06-04, 09:02 AM
I was looking at this card too before I bought my Leadtek TV2000XP/Expert w/remote. Both say they have IR Remotes. The Leadtek appears to have better MPEG coding options, which is why it made my list amongst other things.

I also read a whole deal of probs about the ATi TV Wonder VE here: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=tv+wonder+ve+xp+problem

Good Luck... :(

Peace,

:afro:

FastM
02-06-04, 09:33 AM
Get the Leadtek, i have onwed both and ATI does not touch the Leadtek in TV playback image quality.

Check out hauppage as well.

sxotty
02-06-04, 12:21 PM
The ATI card has a RF remote not IR... that is assured.

I could always buy a leadtek one, and a remote wonder, but it just seems so wasteful...
Wireless RF remote

Yes Malfunction there is a whole deal of problems, but I read about them, and it seemed that it was mostly dealing with non-US customers not being able to use the tuner. I don't care much about the tuner.

Maybe there is a capture card that doesn't have a tuner, but has better quality components, and then I could just buy the remote seperate... I will look into that.

Thanks for your responses.. also I will check out that leadtek.

sxotty
02-06-04, 01:18 PM
Well after looking around this is what I think I want

http://www.leadtek.com/multimedia/winfast_pvr2000_1.html

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to actually exist yet :)... thus I will have to wait a bit and see if I can buy it somewhere.

The Hauppage 250 looked good, but it costed $139 at a minimum and did not do everything I wanted.

Sazar
02-06-04, 01:21 PM
IQ is excellent... superior to my Hauppage but I had an older one... and better than the leadtek too when you use best IQ settings..

for the price though I think perhaps a hauppage will do :)

were it not for the RF remote on my AIW... I would still have had my old hauppage :D

Malfunction
02-06-04, 01:39 PM
Pretty cool site if you are interested:

http://www.lordsmurf.com

Peace,

:afro:

sxotty
02-06-04, 06:06 PM
Malfunction I have to say I really really really appreciate that link you posted it has tons of great info.

Thanks.

The other info seems to be conflicting about whether ATI is good or not, what I want to know is, do the ATI cards have hardware mpeg2 encoding? I do not think so, and I thought that would be a valuable feature.... ah well there always seems to be confusion when trying a new thing.