PDA

View Full Version : Just got a MSI 5900XT... Have some questions

Sonic04
02-06-04, 11:50 PM
Hello all! My first post... be gentle ;)

I recently bought a 5900XT, but I seem to be having some problems.

First off, what should I set the AGP aperature size to? Before this card I had a GFFX 5200 and I had the aperature size set to 256MB and it seemed to work great. I remember reading somewhere that it should be half the size of your RAM... Is that true?

Anyway, the main problem is that during gameplay, I get nice fps, but it seems to sort of lock up briefly during some parts.
This happened with the Far Cry demo and Ghost Recon.
For example, in Ghost Recon, I started the heavy weapons training and the fps stayed at 75, but when looking at a wall, it would drop down to 29-31 and it would do that for quite a bit of time, but after 30 seconds or so, it would go back to 75 again and it ran smooth no matter where I looked. This is with AA/AF set to Application Controlled and I don't think it's on in the game.
In Far Cry, it does the same thing, but worse... when I am leaving a tunnel, it seems like it's freezing... It drops to like 1 fps and stays frozen for 3-5 seconds and then loads fine and runs again. Is this normal?

With my FX 5200 it wouldn't do that... I would get pretty bad framerates, but it would never freeze and make it unplayable....
My 5200 was crappy, but at least it was consitently crappy :D

The first time when I cranked all the settings to highest and overclocked the card minimally, it froze for a long time and I thought the computer locked up, so I pressed ctrl+alt+del and luckily got the task manager... but about 2 seconds later I got a BSOD saying something about an error and it included nvdisplay.dll i think.

My system:

Win2k Pro
Barton 2500+ (not overclocked)
512MB DDR RAM (400mhz, but running at 333mhz at the moment)
SB Live
MSI GeforceFX 5900XT with VIVO (also not overclocked)
Asus A7N8X-X motherboard

Sorry for the lengthy post :\

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here, because this is really frustrating. This is the first time I actually got a faster card and sadly it's not working too well.

jAkUp
02-07-04, 12:58 AM
Try setting the AGP AP to 128mb

Pantherman
02-07-04, 09:56 AM
Set your AGP aperture to 128MB instead of 256MB. Setting a 256MB aperture can cause some problems in games. If this still doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers. I'm using Forceware 53.03. I did get a couple of freezes in the Far Cry Demo, but that's all. Remember, the Far Cru demo is just a demo, so it is bound to have bugs. If your other games wrork well, its probably just an issue with those games.

[TrollFX]
02-07-04, 02:05 PM
According to my Bfg manual for my 5950 Ultra it says it should always equal your vd card memory..

PeAce-:)

Sonic04
02-07-04, 02:11 PM
hmmm it seems to work fine in Vice City.
I would understand if it was only Far Cry because it's only a demo, but why Ghost Recon?

Set the Aperture to 128 now and disabled video ram cachable.

Gonna try some other games.

Thanks for the help :)

oh yeah and by the way, Ghost Recon is what comes with the MSI card, so you would think it would run really well hehe
I hope it's something else that's wrong with my system/settings.

aapo
02-07-04, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Sonic04
hmmm it seems to work fine in Vice City.
I would understand if it was only Far Cry because it's only a demo, but why Ghost Recon?

Are you sure you don't have any background processes running? Check from the task manager for any unnecessary tasks or processes and shut them down. For example some firewalls or antivirus programs might cause slowdowns if activated during gaming.

digitalwanderer
02-07-04, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by aapo
Are you sure you don't have any background processes running? Check from the task manager for any unnecessary tasks or processes and shut them down. For example some firewalls or antivirus programs might cause slowdowns if activated during gaming.
Damn it, you beat me to it! :lol:

Usually it isn't a problem with the card so much as something else that is causing glitches like that during gameplay. I'm not saying you should rule out your card, just it's a good to check a few other things too. :)

Sonic04
02-07-04, 03:20 PM
I would rule those out since Vice City works fine and now I tried Morrowind, which also came with the card, and that also works fine.

I have norton and a firewall running, but they are and were always running and never caused a problem. It freezes and stutters at the same parts every time.

aapo
02-07-04, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Sonic04
I would rule those out since Vice City works fine and now I tried Morrowind, which also came with the card, and that also works fine.

I have norton and a firewall running, but they are and were always running and never caused a problem. It freezes and stutters at the same parts every time.

Well, it doesn't cost anything to try. Just plug your network cable out of the wall before you kill the Norton and the firewall in order to avoid viruses and script kiddies. :)

goofjb
02-08-04, 02:25 AM
Maybe even run a spyware checker like Ad-ware. If you have a bunch of spyware installed it is probably running as soon as you boot into Windows.

Sonic04
02-08-04, 02:25 AM
All right, apparently it's working now. I was messing around with a bunch of things and now it seems to be fine.

Thanks for the help all

I am very happy with the card so far.... I just have to figure out how the video in works since I have never used it before :D