PDA

View Full Version : GF FX 5900 shadowing?

Cosmos
02-07-04, 11:07 AM
I got a BFG Geforce FX 5900 from GameVE (yup, them) earlier this week. Last night, I noticed something like vertical shadowing on the right side of any windows, on the mouse and anywhere else where there's light color on dark. For the mouse, it's like there are 4 or 5 very vague overlaping ghost images trailing off to the right of the pointer.

To the best of my knowledge I've done nothing to the settings to cause this. I messed with the registry so the geforce FX properties in display settings would include clock frequencies--though I have no intention of messing with it.

Not sure if this is a video card problem or a mobo chipset problem (VIA K8T800). Also, I noticed that the core slowdown threshold temp has gone from 120C to 130C. Where do I change the core slowdown temp?

Oh yeah, is GPU temps of 51-62C is average?

Thanks for any help

volt
02-07-04, 12:47 PM
I'm having the same thing.

temp looks average

aapo
02-07-04, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Cosmos
I got a BFG Geforce FX 5900 from GameVE (yup, them) earlier this week. Last night, I noticed something like vertical shadowing on the right side of any windows, on the mouse and anywhere else where there's light color on dark. For the mouse, it's like there are 4 or 5 very vague overlaping ghost images trailing off to the right of the pointer.

It's probably a result of low-quality capacitors used at the analog output filtering in the card. It's a hardware problem and AFAIK very common - sometimes it's noticeable, sometimes not. The quality of analog output signal is the most important aspect of the 2D quality of a given board. The cheap boardmakers use cheapass components due to hard price competition. There are basically three fixes: 1. change the offending capacitors (I don't know which ones...) 2. change the card 3. Use the digital output for flat screens.

BTW, this the main reason why I prefer ATi cards. I don't know why, but generally components on ATi boards are better (or the analog design is better) than on nVidia boards. There are some cheapass ATi boardmakers, e. g. Club3D, though.

Ruined
02-07-04, 04:22 PM
actually there is another thread about GameVE shipping out mass quantities of defective BFG 5900s. You probably want to RMA it to BFG.

Cosmos
02-08-04, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the info, fortunately none of that was the problem--my KVM switch, that I failed to mention, was.

Boy do I feel stupid!

I've got a linksys KVM switch. Are there any fixes, or any "preferred" KVM brands? Or even just plain monitor switches? I don't mind having two keyboards and mice, but I'd really rather not have two monitors.

Thanks again!