PDA

View Full Version : 5900XT->9800XT pt 2..


DMA
02-07-04, 04:55 PM
I guess my last thread was trolled to death before i had a chance to answer..

To get a real time read out of your FPS in UT2003 open up the command line (` key) then type stat fps . I love Unreal Tournament 2003, im a mapper (Unreal ed 3), coder (Unreal Script), and Modeler (Maya 5). If you have a question on Anything in UT2003 just PM me.

Yep, stat fps is nice. Always has it running when i'm playing. Feels like something's missing if i don't see it in the corner. ;)
I haven't been messing around anything with UED etc, playing is all i do really. :p

But it has always been that way,some games look and run better on Nvidia cards,and other games look better and run better on ATI cards,but IMO most games look better and run better on the R9800pro.

Yeah, i guess so. As i said, the only game i've tried so far is UT2003, and i liked what i saw there. :)

Sain that you are "imagining things" would be a very nice way of putting it..
Personally i think, and i think it can be easily proven that you are smoking something past Crack.

Well, thats nice HB. Insulting people is all you're good at these days.
But it worked..again, the thread was locked. Guess thats a good tactic when you wanna get rid of a "positive thread" about NV ey? Jump in and start trolling away, and voila, problem solved.

Just because i noticed a few things in one game that was better on the FX5900 doesn't mean i'm totally wasted on something worse than crack right? :D
Nooo!

Relax and you'll live longer HB.

:afro:

Kev1
02-07-04, 05:22 PM
Can't figure out why so many people get upset about it :confused:

I'm sure the 9800pro is better at some things, but really the 5900 is a nice card :thumbsup:

Malfunction
02-07-04, 05:27 PM
Ya, sorry if it was a result of me DMA/everyone else who enjoyed the thread. I asked Baron if he would re-open the thread, guess he didn't want to. :( I told him I was only being honest, not flaming at all.

Again, if it was a result of me I am sorry fellas. :(

Peace,

:afro:

theultimo
02-07-04, 06:36 PM
I don't know why people get upset with a 5900, when All I have is a 5600, and it runs my stuff, except dx9 of course. But this is one fast laptop chip :)

Smokey
02-07-04, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Kev1
Can't figure out why so many people get upset about it :confused:

I'm sure the 9800pro is better at some things, but really the 5900 is a nice card :thumbsup:

Yes I was a bit annoyed to see it closed, its pretty sad when you cant even talk about your Nvidia card, in the Nvidia cards forum, on a Nvidia fan site!! I am more than happy with my 5900XT, it run RavenShield they way I like it, it also runs all my other games really well, at high res with 4xaa + 8xaf. The point is, if you are happy with your videocard, what does it matter who its made by, whether its Nvidia or ATI, just dont insualt others end of story!

anzak
02-07-04, 11:21 PM
Thats it! I can't take it! Just configured an Ibuypower PC: Athlon XP2500+, 512mb DDR400, 80GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA 133, and a Geforce FX 5900nu for $760 without monitor! Screw upgrading this POS (see sig).

Edit: Notebook for sale with docking station (see sig) :D

Kev1
02-08-04, 01:20 AM
anzak, a lot :thumbsup:

anzak
02-08-04, 02:38 AM
Yeah, I was gonna wait for PCI express but at this price I just can't pass it up. :D

Kev1
02-08-04, 02:47 PM
Is gonna make much difference, or be here anytime soon at a reasonable price.

What you are upgrading to will be huge (HUGE) performance leap from your current P3 setup, and you'll be able to enjoy new games with all the eye candy NOW :eek: You'll also be set for FarCry and Doom3 when they come out :thumbsup:

Enjoy your new stuff :dance:

nForceMan
02-09-04, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by DMA
Yeah, i guess so. As i said, the only game i've tried so far is UT2003, and i liked what i saw there. :)
You can see similar results if you take a look at Anand's Q1 2004 Vendor Graphics Card Roundup:

Halo (DX9) (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955&p=24)
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (OpenGL) (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955&p=25) / Even 5700U can crush 9800XT, wow! (salute) /
Unreal Tournament 2003 (DX8) (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955&p=26)
Relax and you'll live longer HB.
No chance! Trolls never change (and are short-lived)! ;)

nForceMan
02-09-04, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
Yes I was a bit annoyed to see it closed, its pretty sad when you cant even talk about your Nvidia card, in the Nvidia cards forum, on a Nvidia fan site!!
That's the point! Unfortunately the moderators of this site apply only one instrument to moderate: closing the thread. And those trolls know this very well. You can find out the rest...

digitalwanderer
02-09-04, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by nForceMan
You can see similar results if you take a look at Anand's Q1 2004 Vendor Graphics Card Roundup:

Halo (DX9) (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955&p=24)
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (OpenGL) (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955&p=25) / Even 5700U can crush 9800XT, wow! (salute) /
Unreal Tournament 2003 (DX8) (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955&p=26)
Yeah, at Anands and Anands only! :lol:

No chance! Trolls never change (and are short-lived)! ;)
But I thought you thought I was a troll? :eek2: (One thing you can't say about me, I ain't short-lived. :cool: )

goofjb
02-09-04, 11:50 AM
Why do people feel the need to bash someone if they like nvida cards or ATI cards? Most users have had both or do have both in their life time. I like the fact at this site you can talk about both and you won't have a bunch of nvidia fans bach the ATI guys. But boy do you see the ATI only guys beat on the nvidia guys. ( I'm not saying all ATI folks but some do.) :)

Mariner
02-09-04, 12:05 PM
Well, we know that the 5900 does 'brilinear' filtering whereas the 9800 does proper trilinear. Perhaps this reduction in filtering quality enables smoother gameplay as less stress is put on the card.

Also, the 5900s tend to have faster memory and therefore more bandwidth than the 9800s so this could also have an effect on any perceived 'extra smoothness'.

Personally I don't have either card and nor do I play UT2003 so this is all just guesswork!

:)

Smokey
02-09-04, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Mariner
Well, we know that the 5900 does 'brilinear' filtering whereas the 9800 does proper trilinear. Perhaps this reduction in filtering quality enables smoother gameplay as less stress is put on the card.

Also, the 5900s tend to have faster memory and therefore more bandwidth than the 9800s so this could also have an effect on any perceived 'extra smoothness'.

Personally I don't have either card and nor do I play UT2003 so this is all just guesswork!

:)

AFAIK, its not standard biliner filtering, its a mix of biliner and triliner filter, which looking at, doesnt give any hard lines and looks great, although I will adlmit that I dont know much about the filtering when it comes to UT2003, so it may looks worse than in other games. As to the higher memory, I think its far to say, that ATI has the better chipset, so Nvidia needs that faster memory to keep up :) From what I have seen in other games, drivers can play a big part in game smoothness.

marqmajere
02-09-04, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by goofjb
Why do people feel the need to bash someone if they like nvida cards or ATI cards? Most users have had both or do have both in their life time. I like the fact at this site you can talk about both and you won't have a bunch of nvidia fans bach the ATI guys. But boy do you see the ATI only guys beat on the nvidia guys. ( I'm not saying all ATI folks but some do.) :)

It's thier time to shine and they also think it justifies thier purchases. *shrug* As long as they are happy.... :)

fivefeet8
02-09-04, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
AFAIK, its not standard biliner filtering, its a mix of biliner and triliner filter, which looking at, doesnt give any hard lines and looks great, although I will adlmit that I dont know much about the filtering when it comes to UT2003, so it may looks worse than in other games.

That's why he stated, "BRilinear filtering". ;) In my comparisons to FULL trilinear screengrabs in png format from UT2k3 and the Brilinear filtering done on my FX5900u, your gonna be hard pressed to find IQ differences from Brilinear and Trilinear filtering. It's so close, subjectivity becomes the larger deciding factor.

Mariner
02-09-04, 02:20 PM
You'll not notice much difference between screen grabs of brilinear and triliniear - the difference is mainly noticeable in motion with the mipmap boundaries moving.

Personally, I think that brilinear is useful AS AN OPTION! Unfortunately, it is not an option and I still think it pretty scandalous that you can't get proper trilinear filtering on NV's hugely expensive top of the line cards.

DMA
02-09-04, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Malfunction
Ya, sorry if it was a result of me DMA/everyone else who enjoyed the thread. I asked Baron if he would re-open the thread, guess he didn't want to. :( I told him I was only being honest, not flaming at all.

Again, if it was a result of me I am sorry fellas. :(

Peace,

:afro:

Hehe, no problemo. But i don't think you're the one to blame. :lol:

But what do i know anyway, i'm just a crackhead. :smoking: