PDA

View Full Version : A very simple question

Pages : [1] 2

mongoled
02-07-04, 09:44 PM
Is it not possible that there can be one thread which is designated as a flame thread? Surely peeps who wanna slog it out should at least have one thread to do it in?

Good idea?

non?

:angel:

Smokey
02-07-04, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by mongoled
Is it not possible that there can be one thread which is designated as a flame thread? Surely peeps who wanna slog it out should at least have one thread to do it in?

Good idea?

non?

:angel:

Yes, its called Rage3d.com, where u can let out all your rage ;)

saturnotaku
02-08-04, 02:32 AM
No.

Thank you, please drive through.

anzak
02-08-04, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Smokey

ROFL!

Unit01
02-08-04, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Smokey

What's the funny part :confused: :|

mongoled
02-10-04, 11:37 AM
I have no idea why this has happened but would really appreciate the peeps responsible to at least PM me and tell me why.

What am I talking abt...well it seems that some forum members find my name AND avatar offensive????

:confused:

If this is indeed the case then let me personally know, did this really have to be done through a forum moderator???

I really cant understand why, I dont post here very often and am considering not even bothering any more. I mainly read stuff here because I find the majority of peeps here very constructive in their arguments and posts.

I am really gobsmacked, I have been using this name AND avatar in several forums for over 2 years and have never come across something as rediculous as this!! (IMHO).

mongoled

MUYA
02-10-04, 11:55 AM
I have no idea why this has happened but would really appreciate the peeps responsible to at least PM me and tell me why.

What am I talking abt...well it seems that some forum members find my name AND avatar offensive????

You nick is Mongoled right? It is a common slur used to describe ppl who have been stricken with Downs Syndrome. Its a disgrace you take a nick after that.

I am from Nepal but my tribe have Mongolian ancestry and I PERSONALY do not appreciate your nick or Avavtar in which (it's similar to a picture from a Van Halen Album) depicting what appears to be an angel whose appearance is similar to those afflicted with Down's Syndrome. Its a shame that you fail to see why your nick and avatar offends someone really. Its downright sad actually.

MUYA

Ruined
02-10-04, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by MUYA
You nick is Mongoled right? It is a common slur used to describe ppl who have been stricken with Downs Syndrome. Its a disgrace you take a nick after that.

I am from Nepal but my tribe have Mongolian ancestry and I PERSONALY do not appreciate your nick or Avavtar in which (it's similar to a picture from a Van Halen Album) depicting what appears to be an angel whose appearance is similar to those afflicted with Down's Syndrome. Its a shame that you fail to see why your nick and avatar offends someone really. Its downright sad actually.

MUYA

It looks like his avatar is smoking a joint which could explain the strange look

mongoled
02-10-04, 12:35 PM
Thank you,

First thing first, MUYA I see you feel very strongly abt this so I will respect where you are coming from. I would have appreciated you coming to me to discuss this rather then going through a moderator.

Secondly, I am from the UK and here it is not 'common knowledge' that 'mongoled' is a name used to 2 describe people who are suffering from a terrible disease. If you believe that this is the person I am then there is not alot i can say to make you believe other wise. The nickname I have been using is by no means intended to make fun of peeps who are suffering from this illness.

Thirdy, the avatar I have is from a large poster a friend of mine has. It is based on a painting by the renaissance artist Raphael and is found in the Sistine Chapel and is called 'Cherubs'. The original picture is that of two angels in heaven. The avatar I have is slightly modified as to show the angels smoking a joint and drinking beer. If you think that this avatar has some form of representation of a person suffering from Down Sysndrome then their isnt really much more i can say. You will have to take that up with Raphael but unfortunately he died in 1520 (i can only apologies for my sarcasm at least I havnt made the assumption that u made that my intent was to slur people with Downs Syndrome something which I feel very dissapointed at).

Thirdly, I will tell you why I use the name mongoled. Here in the UK mongoled means somebody who has smoked two much marajana, something which i do. My friends often use this nic to refer to me. It came abt one night when we were having a heavy session and i came out with the words, ' eeeerrrrhhhh, im mongoled and blacked out'.

Here is the deal, this is about compromise.

I would first like an apology from yourself. Why? I am offended that u have made the assumption that my intent was to slur people who suffer from Downs Syndrome. I have members in my family, cousins of mine who suffer from this terrible condition.

Secondly, I will ask a moderator to change my name to something which will not offend you. As for the avatar im sorry but that has to stay, it is based on a painting from a very famous and talented artist (i used to study fine art) there is NO WAY that this picture has any resemblance with a person suffering Downs Syndrome.

What I would like from peeps reading this thread is to comment on what happening here. I feel this is the best way to resolve the situation I have inadvertedly found myself in.

thanxs

Andrew

walkndude
02-10-04, 12:36 PM
I think your just feigning ignorance mongoled -2 years of posting and no one has ever complained ?

I wanted to wring your neck everytime I saw a post from you.

mongoled
02-10-04, 12:38 PM
walkndude,

How u can afford to laugh on what is being said here is beyond me. You say u feel quite irked at my name and avatar your post certainly dosent show that

Andrew

walkndude
02-10-04, 12:43 PM
I was laughing that muya posted the exact same thing as myself so I edited my post...

Nice try turning things around on me... You faking ignorance isnt working either...

Ruined
02-10-04, 12:48 PM
FYI I have live in NY/NJ (USA) area for 24 years and have *never* heard the term "mongoled" to describe someones with downs syndrome. "Mongoloid" yes, but that is not his nick. Not to say that the other word doesn't exist, but that never occured to me based on his nick because I have never heard "mongoled" before.

walkndude
02-10-04, 12:58 PM
Well then if it doesnt bother you ruined I guess it shouldnt offend anybody else eh?

That makes sense.

The best part is mongoled wants the apology, what a joke...

I'm done -more of the same at nvnews.

If the mods here dont see through your b.s and just outright ban you ill scream.

S.I.N
02-10-04, 01:03 PM
Well I have learned something new...I have never heard that word much less new its meaning in my life. What is the new name your going to ask them to change it to?

DMA
02-10-04, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Unit01
What's the funny part :confused: :|

Guess you're to mongoled to get the joke?

:smoking2:

MUYA
02-10-04, 01:10 PM
Thank you,

First thing first, MUYA I see you feel very strongly abt this so I will respect where you are coming from. I would have appreciated you coming to me to discuss this rather then going through a moderator.

First of all, I was educated in an English School (British Army) system in Hong Kong and I studied in 6 years at Sunderland, UK and I have heard people use the term "mongoled" or "mong" at me in a degorative way and thats my problem with you nick.

mongoled
02-10-04, 01:11 PM
S.I.N,

Im hoping some of the peeps here will say if they think i should change my nic. I havnt thought abt what I would change it to, to be honest with you I may just stop posting here looking at the response of one of the forum members in this thread.

:rolleyes:

At the moment I can only wait for MUYA to respond, essentially his is the only post I am really waiting for. I hope i can resolve this with MUYA in a reasonable manner.

Andrew

-EDIT-

MUYA posted to my post while i sent this one.

MUYA can u not see how u have offended me? You have made an assumption abt my character based on what? A word which does not exist in the dictionary and one which I have made quite clear was not intended as a slur against anybody.

What do u expect me to do, like i said i can change my nic, but seeing from your reaction maybe i should just ask a mod to remove my account from here.

I am trying here to get across to you, but yet u still base your argument on something which for me is non existant.

What do u suggest i change my nic to, do u still believe that my avatar is meant to look like a person suffering from downs syndrome, to tell u the truth your post was very dissapointing. I was hoping that u were a person who could see that my intent is by no means what u thought it was, but alas maybe im asking too much

:(

Andrew

walkndude
02-10-04, 01:14 PM
your just baiting muya at this point, he said his piece and now YOUR demandind an apology...

Yeah -sounds "reasonable" to me.

mongoled
02-10-04, 01:23 PM
I think im going to refrain from posting here.

I will let forum members decide.

Do u find my nick and avatar offensive forum members? If the majority do I will ask a mod to remove my account I have no place here.

If you dont could you please say so.

Their is only one person trying to cause a flame fest here, this thread was started to ask if it was possible to have a thread for flaming. I do not intend to start one without the permission of forum moderators.

Andrew

Clay
02-10-04, 01:24 PM
I would first like an apology from yourself. Why? I am offended that u have made the assumption that my intent was to slur people who suffer from Downs Syndrome. I have members in my family, cousins of mine who suffer from this terrible condition.

Secondly, I will ask a moderator to change my name to something which will not offend you. As for the avatar im sorry but that has to stay, it is based on a painting from a very famous and talented artist (i used to study fine art) there is NO WAY that this picture has any resemblance with a person suffering Downs Syndrome.

What I would like from peeps reading this thread is to comment on what happening here. I feel this is the best way to resolve the situation I have inadvertedly found myself in.

thanxs

Andrew

Andrew,

MUYA does not owe you an apology. Be a big enough man to accept the fact that you offended someone with a real slur (whether you intended to or not which I doubt that you did this intentionally IMO). At any rate, you owe MUYA an apology, end of story. Your willingness to have your nick changed is great and I hope to see that happen quickly.

Now, apologize to MUYA with some grace and let's all move on.

Malfunction
02-10-04, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by MUYA

MUYA

I had no idea that is what the name means in the region you are in, let alone anywhere else. I see nic names all the time but don't really pay too much attention to their meaning. Usually it has to do with something personal, which is the reason for selecting it.

I believe this might be a misunderstanding. What I mean by that is it could be a harmless act off a term that is used without complete knowledge of the actual term. I have never heard of "mongoled" before. After hearing the meaning from a different region, I can tell you I am offended that someone would use such a term as a nick. Though because of my ignorance, it had never bothered me before when seeing it.

Reminds me of a jesture I made to a freind as a kid that I caught on the three stooges or some movie. He was shocked that I did the jesture and told me I just called his mother a goat. I was in complete shock becuase I adored his mother and would have never done such a thing to her or him. I proceeded with asking him how "this" jesture meant I thought of his mother as a goat. He proceeded to avoid answering because he couldn't believe I had just did the same jesture again! I couldn't understand "9 years old @ the time" how doing the jesture would make my best bud so angry he began to cry and not speak to me for the rest of the summer.

Because the jesture meant that much to him, I ended up apologizing to him and swore I would never do it again. I reiterated that I adore his mother like she was my own (My mom left us when I was 9 years old) and even now, I have never done the jesture in fear that I would offend someone again. My intent was never to hurt my best buds feelings like that or to even insult his mother which I adored. Though I can see how what appeared to be an innocent act for what I thought was appropriate for the occasion, ended up being one of the most painful experiences in my childhood.

Take what you can from my story, I don't really know what to say other than I understand how this could happen.

Peace,

:afro:

Clay
02-10-04, 01:39 PM
Yes, I cannot see this being an intentional attack towards MUYA. However, ignorance is not an excuse in situations like this. Take any number of more widely known racial/cultural slurs or gestures....those wouldn't be tolerated either.

MUYA
02-10-04, 01:55 PM
Allright Andrew.

Now I took offence because your nick was actually used against me in real life. Now whether that term has changed since its use back in 1991 to now I don't know. But because of that experience I took offence. I outlined my reasons but I was pi$$ed off to say the least. I have had enough racial sh|t thrown at me since my school days.

My apologies if you indeed have a family member who has Downs Syndrome. It is trying to have family members who are sick and see they cannot live as free and to the fullest. Maybe it's different but I have seen one of my immedeate family member die slowly from the wrecthed disease called cancer and that leaves a viod because you are so helpless to help the one you love. You have my sympathies for your family member. If you didn't know about the slur used against ppl with downs syndrome then fair enough, or that you didn't know it has been used to describe oriental ppl, you didn't know not much you can do.

But I will not apologize for anything else because i stand by my belief that your nick is indeed a slur as it has been used against me to take a cheap shot but as with any case in real life, benefit of the doubt should be given. I willing to do that.

For the sake of moving on, I humbly request that you change your nick to something else please and lets move on.

Deal?

mongoled
02-10-04, 02:13 PM
That is perfectly fine by me,

I just hope that if a similar thing happens in future could you please refrain to making assumptions. You could have PM me and none of this would have happend.

I know abt racial abuse, I am Greek-Cypriot, I have been attacked because someone thought i was croatian nothing serious but i know how things can get out of hand very easily. My country is also half occupied by this thing called politics which seems to make it ok.

Do u have any suggestions for a nic for me? I can then let vamp know.

Andrew