PDA

View Full Version : DOOM]l[ News From Todd H. Himself.

Pages : [1] 2

poursoul
02-08-04, 03:10 PM
I don't know if you all know what's going on with http://www.doom3maps.de/.

Here's the story:

1. Gamestar showed new exclusive Doom3 screenshots.
-- Doom3maps presented the scans on their homepage.
-- ID reacted and forbid doom3maps to use this pictures.
-- That was ok, cause the people from d3m knew that the pictures were to hot.

2. Some other magazine showed the pictures.
-- Again D3m presented the scans on their homepage.
-- ID reacted and forbid doom3maps to use this pictures, again.
-- Hmm.. At this moment the pics were some weeks old and already everybody had seen them. So it wasnt that annoying.

3. The screenshots were released on some webpage.
-- D3m thought that now the pictures allowed to be shown to public and presented them again at their homepage.
-- ID reacted and forbid doom3maps to use this pictures, again and again.
-- That annoyed the people from d3m very much, cause ID is paying NO attention to its fans! (their words not mine)

So Doom3maps decided to protest and shut down their site (which recently re-opened.) During which time Todd Hollenshead emailed them with a response to what they were doing.

The email can be viewed here (http://doom3.ngz-network.de/comment.php?641).

The most important phrase is as follows:

you will feel differently in a month or two

Anyway, a lot of interesting stuff going on here. just thought it was worth a look.

GlowStick
02-08-04, 03:34 PM
Now i really want to see those shots, lol

Nutty
02-08-04, 04:38 PM
Seems a bit harsh.. I hate it when some site or mag gets exclusives, I think everyone should be allowed to see.

No doubt someone will be hosting them somewhere.. time to do some digging. :)

digitalwanderer
02-08-04, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Seems a bit harsh.. I hate it when some site or mag gets exclusives, I think everyone should be allowed to see.
OMG, I agree with you! :eek:

Malfunction
02-08-04, 05:10 PM
Can't wait to see Doom 3 ship with the NV40! :afro: Well... I'd like to at least.. lol. :D

Peace,

:afro:

John Reynolds
02-09-04, 12:12 PM
I can't wait to see the game ship. . .period. Why do the fanboys have to turn everything into bickering over their preferred hardware? (yes, I peeked)

digitalwanderer
02-09-04, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by John Reynolds
I can't wait to see the game ship. . .period. Why do the fanboys have to turn everything into bickering over their preferred hardware? (yes, I peeked)
Hey, we're not really even bickering this time! We're all in the same thread and barely even snapping at each other! ;)

Malfunction
02-09-04, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Hey, we're not really even bickering this time! We're all in the same thread and barely even snapping at each other! ;)

w00t!!! ;)

Peace,

:afro:

DaveW
02-09-04, 01:47 PM

When Id officially announce that Doom 3 will be an X-Box 2 exclusive and the development of the PC version is being handed over to a third party "to be announced".

Nutty
02-09-04, 05:01 PM
If that happens I'm giving up PC gaming.

NAZCA M12
02-09-04, 11:54 PM
No way, if that was to happen, i'd give up Doom 3

Vash
02-10-04, 07:23 AM
"you will feel differently in a month or two"

Hmm... that sounds promising. It could only mean that they're going to start kicking up the media coverage, but it could also refer to that Doom 3 technology test that they said they'd be putting out to work out the bugs ala Q3Test.

digitalwanderer
02-10-04, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Vash
"you will feel differently in a month or two"

Hmm... that sounds promising. It could only mean that they're going to start kicking up the media coverage, but it could also refer to that Doom 3 technology test that they said they'd be putting out to work out the bugs ala Q3Test.
Or it could be that in a month or two they're going to announce that the source code was stolen and it'll be delayed indefinately and then people will SURELY feel differently about it. :rolleyes: ;) (Yeah, I'm not overly optimistic about ANY game news anymore. :bleh: )

Vash
02-10-04, 09:53 AM
Or it could be that in a month or two they're going to announce that the source code was stolen and it'll be delayed indefinately and then people will SURELY feel differently about it. :rolleyes: ;) (Yeah, I'm not overly optimistic about ANY game news anymore. :bleh: )

Would you like some coffee with your morning cynicism, Dig? ;)

digitalwanderer
02-10-04, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Would you like some coffee with your morning cynicism, Dig? ;)
Yeah, but only a couple of pots...I'm trying to cut back.

S.I.N
02-10-04, 12:16 PM
Ok I will say it..maybe he means a damn Demo will be released, sheesh.;)

digitalwanderer
02-10-04, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by S.I.N
Ok I will say it..maybe he means a damn Demo will be released, sheesh.;)
I think everyone would agree that would officially be "very sweet" if it happened. :)

Nv40
02-10-04, 03:16 PM
well.. i think that the marketing guys at Idsoftware ,its the only thing of base here.because FAnsites like Doom3maps.de its one of the most visited and viewed by doom3 fans (if not the #1),and one of the few decent sites of the few D3 sites that exist. the problem is not the lack of info ,(in my opinion too much info ,can make people lose interest in the game ,since there will be nothing new to see)but the way that site have been treated. to the point that they do a public protest closing his great site for a week or two.and i have never see something like that happenning with any game fanbase ever . and its an irony that the people affected is exactly the ones idsoftware/Activision target when they [spend hundreds of thousands in Doom3 marketing.] if QUakeCon is cancelled this year ,i will not miss it ,since there is no way for me to ever be there ,and the same is with 99.998% of idsoftware fan base since is insignificant the ammount of people that can get a chance to be there againts the more than one million of fans that probably exist outhere. but internet Websites its a diferent story since anyone around the planet can be there ,at any time ,at no single cost. So believe it or not ,internet Fansites affects greatly the sales of any company ,(same with hardware sites like Nvnews or rage3d) many times far more than the group of fans that magazines touch and quakecon together.(if anyone of those have a big impact ,its only because of->internet the one that makes the diference). just imagine what will happen if Ati piss RAge3d webmasters and they close their site.just before the release of a new card? So placing too much obstacles to their internet fanbase about the [already] released material in internet ,only will make fans too lose some level of interest in that game ,and start to consider to look at others. I just hope that ACtivision/idsoftware change their focus more towards the internet ,specially fansites,before its too late .because i have seen too many kick ass games being completly ignored by gamers ,not because of the quality of the game ,but because a poor coverage and internet marketing. its not that Doom3 sucess will depends on the internet marketing ,because the game will speak by itself ,but you can be sure ,that without a solid internet fanbase,the game will be ignored very easily in a couple of weeks once you finish the singleplayer. since there will be not many places like Doom3*maps*.de ... to be informed about new material or mods ,if there is a lack of support.

poursoul
02-10-04, 04:09 PM
Many good points and well put, but my general view on the subject differs from yours. I'm sorry, it's probably because I am lazy, or I don't think anyone really cares what I have to say.... but I'm not going to say anymore than that.

SavagePaladin
02-13-04, 01:51 PM
Yeah, but only a couple of pots...I'm trying to cut back.
buy me a couple (hundred) 6 packs of Dew bottles buddy

AngelGraves13
02-15-04, 12:48 AM
I say we won't see DOOM 3 till summer.

GlowStick
02-15-04, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by 99 to Life
I say we won't see DOOM 3 till summer. i say march!

anzak
02-15-04, 01:15 AM

Bah! I have given up on Doom III and Half Life 2 and switching to Unreal Tournament 2004 for my game modding. There are already more HL2 modifications started than the original Half Life and Valve will not release the SDK so developers can get a head start. If the game was finished last year than it would be out by now plain and simple. Valve has used the source code leak to delay the game that was not finished. Doom III is another story, at least Id has not set a release date they knew they could not make. Since I have experience with the Unreal Engine (Unreal ED 3 and Unreal Script) anyways, it would be the quickest way to get a game out the door. Sure, I won't get the awesome physics of half life 2 or the ultra high poly engine of Doom III but I don't care, it's the gameplay that counts :P

mrsabidji
02-18-04, 01:11 PM

hehe... link (http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16541) ;).

mrsabidji

S.I.N
02-18-04, 06:39 PM
then it will be fall.....then winter.....then we got hacked and we dont know when it will be out.