PDA

View Full Version : SATA drives

renegade77
02-11-04, 01:27 PM
Ive been thinkin about gettin a SATA hard drive. Will it be a good performer againts the standard IDE drives with just one sata drive, or am i going to see way better performance with to SAta drives runnin them in that dual hardrive configuration?

UDawg
02-11-04, 01:35 PM
The biggest difference is that most drives are coming with 8mb cache that WD lead the way with. Other than that they are just slightly better but I will say I love my seagate cuda.

renegade77
02-11-04, 01:42 PM
wut if i had two sata drives though and were running them together?

MUYA
02-11-04, 01:46 PM
I think SATA gets better performance on Intel solutions using the ICH5 was it? that soutbridge has native serial ATA support, which means its not tied to teh PCI bus which traditionally holds back HDD performance. For AMD solutions no native SATA support exists yet. Thats my take from reading various review etc around the web of course if this is false please let me know.

UDawg
02-11-04, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by renegade77
wut if i had two sata drives though and were running them together?

Yeah if you Raid 0 the two drive you will get better performances. It also depends what you are going to use it for.

renegade77
02-12-04, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by UDawg
Yeah if you Raid 0 the two drive you will get better performances. It also depends what you are going to use it for.

I primarily use my comp for gaming, storage of music, movies, ect...